Bookshelf speaker which can play great at low volume.

MrRobot

Hello All,

Thanks to this forum, I bought my HT system (Marantz 1508 + Boston Acoustic A23)
i have been using this system for a year now and I am quite happy.

Now I am planning to upgrade my LR speakers so here I am again for suggestions.

I am specially looking for speaker which play good even at low volume as I live in apartment (room size is 14x10)

I read that speakers with higher sensitivity can play with greater details even at lower volume, is it true? What other factors/specification should I consider?

I was thinking of Klipsch RP-15 , Q Acoustic 3020.

Thanks

Hello All,

Thanks to this forum, I bought my HT system (Marantz 1508 + Boston Acoustic A23)

I am specially looking for speaker which play good even at low volume as I live in apartment (room size is 14x10)

I read that speakers with higher sensitivity can play with greater details even at lower volume, is it true? What other factors/specification should I consider?

Thanks

I'd recommend the latest Q3030i

Small bookshelf speakers may sound good but the above speakers will not give you adequate bass at low volumes or even at high volumes for that matter. For the room size you have, how about adding a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer to your existing setup if your receiver supports it would make a big difference when listening at low volume imho. You could try with pre-owned ones if you don't have any issues.

Hello All,

Thanks
Listen to this

Small bookshelf speakers may sound good but the above speakers will not give you adequate bass at low volumes or even at high volumes for that matter. For the room size you have, how about adding a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer to your existing setup if your receiver supports it would make a big difference when listening at low volume imho. You could try with pre-owned ones if you don't have any issues.

Sorry I didn't mention, I have complete system (I am using satellite speakers for surround and polk psw10 subwoofer , no centre channel)
So I am planning to upgrade the Front LR speakers for now as I listen to music more.

Hello All,

Thanks
Hi

I was after the same experience. What I have learnt (very recent by Paul of PS Audio on YT, do check). It's not the speakers that can amuse you at the low volume.

High efficiency speakers are just easy to drive and not necessarily good at low volume. It's mainly the good stereo amplifier and good source, room treatment and moreover "loudness" control that some amps come with. I can say that because of personal experience and similar situation.

With AVRs it's hard to get the kind of experience you are looking for.

Rest it all depends at what level you are satisfied. The level of satisfaction is different for every being.

Regards
Vivek

Hi All,
Okay, so I did some adjustments in EQ and saved it for low volume.

Now the question remains, should I upgrade to klipsch or QA and use my BA as surrounds or should I spend the money in center channel. Honestly I never felt the need so center the dialogue are clear with BA as LR.

#upgradeBug :)

Hi

I was after the same experience. What I have learnt (very recent by Paul of PS Audio on YT, do check). It's not the speakers that can amuse you at the low volume.

High efficiency speakers are just easy to drive and not necessarily good at low volume. It's mainly the good stereo amplifier and good source, room treatment and moreover "loudness" control that some amps come with. I can say that because of personal experience and similar situation.

With AVRs it's hard to get the kind of experience you are looking for.

Rest it all depends at what level you are satisfied. The level of satisfaction is different for every being.

Regards
Vivek
Impressed by your insightful answer. I have a complete Q Acoustics 3050i setup(5.1),the rears are 3020i though. Also have Marantz 6013. I have noticed your comment “good stereo amplifier & good source...’loudness control that some amps come with”.....Now please help me on above mentioned fields,mention respective brands & your valuable suggestions. N.B. I am a newcomer in this realm. Thanks

Impressed by your insightful answer. I have a complete Q Acoustics 3050i setup(5.1),the rears are 3020i though. Also have Marantz 6013. I have noticed your comment “good stereo amplifier & good source...’loudness control that some amps come with”.....Now please help me on above mentioned fields,mention respective brands & your valuable suggestions. N.B. I am a newcomer in this realm. Thanks
If you have any specific question, I can try to answer with my limited knowledge. But there are many FMs who are much experienced and mature than me, they may chime in as well. So shoot.

In our last Kolkata Audio Meet held at FM @Sandip Das place we witnessed what massive improvement Room Treatment can bring in at low volumes. His speakers were good Quad 11L Classic used with a subtle Luxman but generated blow away ambiance at mere 8 - 9 o'clock volume. Echoing with the observation from @Dibyendu Chowdhury earlier on this thread, the Quads are having sensitivity of 86 db (driven by 48 w / channel Class AB Luxman) whereas my Avianos are 88 dbs and driven by 200 Watts / Channel CA Power amp yet low volume ambiance with his room treatment will surpass mine.

Here is the account of the meet with the details on the room correction.

What stereo amp can I consider? Best source of music?
For me its easy to comment on good source than good amplifier. CD quality music has been the prime source of music so far in digital space and vinyls for anlogue. This is not restricted to CDs only, but you can have FLAC files or stream CD quality music or higher from Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon You Tube etc. If you are going to spin CDs invest in a good CD player with a good dac. You have option to buy CD transport only and an external DAC that you may use with your PC as well in case you wish to stream. I would go for a transport rather than a CD player.

For streaming, I would say a dedicated streamer might score an edge over PC/MAC, reason being its designed to do streaming. I can't say how much would be the difference or any noticable difference. But one can always start with a PC/MAC.

Now regarding amplifiers, this is very tough question for me atleast. A lot depends on the budget (though for every component). As a ballpark number may be 40% to 50% of the total setup cost should be assigned for an amplifier. When I was looking for a stereo amplifier, I was clear that I want a anlogue only amp (no internal DAC), this gives you liberty to switch the dac when technology changes. Thats not the case with amplifiers most of the time they last for ages.

The brands that I explored are Luxman,Accuphase, Sugden (all Class A models), Bryston, Anthem, the list is end less. You just need to decide first what do you want, a tube amp, or a Solid State further which Solid State etc. If you have the option to demo, than thats the best way to decide.

Thats all with my miniscule knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Vivek

Hello All,

Thanks

Hello,

Listening at low volumes can be done provided the system can deliver weight and resolution. With the Marantz receiver, or for that matter almost any entry to mid level receiver, no speaker will deliver either. However because you have a sub you can use that to add weight to the sound. For harmonics and resolution you won't be able to do anything which is still ok as long as the amp plays clean and doesn't distort.

Go with a speaker that you can match your sub with. The polk subs are not lighting fast so going with something like the klipsch wont work. Klipsch are fast speakers and unless you change the sub the bass will lag. IF you use the Klipsch without the sub you will find them too bright and lacking weight. Then you are stuck in an infinite upgrade loop. Try something from Polk itself or maybe QAcoustics or Elac. High sensitive speakers depend on a really good musical amp to bring the best out of them. I'm not sure on how you are placing the sub, the crossover and gain either but those things are going to be make or break if you are to integrate the same.

Another option is have 2 systems. Stick with your HT setup as is and buy the Klipsch RP15 and a valve amp from say Lyrita audio or a sweet sounding used SS amp or maybe a Schitt Aegir with a pre. That will give you MUCH better bang for your buck. If you don't have a budget for it go step by step. Get the Klipsch first, use it with your Marantz and then get a separate amp for the Klipsch. I wouldn't try and use the Marantz receiver for 2 channel audio in the long run. Experience is that one will not be happy and end up spending more and more trying to compensate for the system deficiencies.

Hello,

Listening at low volumes can be done provided the system can deliver weight and resolution. With the Marantz receiver, or for that matter almost any entry to mid level receiver, no speaker will deliver either. However because you have a sub you can use that to add weight to the sound. For harmonics and resolution you won't be able to do anything which is still ok as long as the amp plays clean and doesn't distort.

Go with a speaker that you can match your sub with. The polk subs are not lighting fast so going with something like the klipsch wont work. Klipsch are fast speakers and unless you change the sub the bass will lag. IF you use the Klipsch without the sub you will find them too bright and lacking weight. Then you are stuck in an infinite upgrade loop. Try something from Polk itself or maybe QAcoustics or Elac. High sensitive speakers depend on a really good musical amp to bring the best out of them. I'm not sure on how you are placing the sub, the crossover and gain either but those things are going to be make or break if you are to integrate the same.

Another option is have 2 systems. Stick with your HT setup as is and buy the Klipsch RP15 and a valve amp from say Lyrita audio or a sweet sounding used SS amp or maybe a Schitt Aegir with a pre. That will give you MUCH better bang for your buck. If you don't have a budget for it go step by step. Get the Klipsch first, use it with your Marantz and then get a separate amp for the Klipsch. I wouldn't try and use the Marantz receiver for 2 channel audio in the long run. Experience is that one will not be happy and end up spending more and more trying to compensate for the system deficiencies.

Hello,
Really well articulated, thank you!
When I bought marantz NR1508, I asked around in the forum and read reviews which said marantz is quite musical. Since my requirement was 50:50 for music and movies, so I went for it. I am newbie in audio, so for me marantz has been quite good in two channel direct mode as well.

Suppose I buy Klipsch and use it with marantz as 2.0 for music will it be okay?
I thought of Polk S15 as well, but I don't know if that would be a big upgrade over BA, would it?

Hello,
Really well articulated, thank you!
When I bought marantz NR1508, I asked around in the forum and read reviews which said marantz is quite musical. Since my requirement was 50:50 for music and movies, so I went for it. I am newbie in audio, so for me marantz has been quite good in two channel direct mode as well.

Suppose I buy Klipsch and use it with marantz as 2.0 for music will it be okay?
I thought of Polk S15 as well, but I don't know if that would be a big upgrade over BA, would it?

Take your amp to a klipsch dealer and listen. Without the sub you will find the klipsch very bright. Initially you'll like the detail etc but you may not be able to listen for long sessions without it getting tiring. If your Marantz has a front pre out you can add a power amp to it. It's not the best way forward but if you want the klipsch it maybe a way forward.

Or visit a klipsch dealer n listen without your amp as well so you have an idea on how the klipsch sounds.

The marantz is an entry level receiver. Tonally it maybe better than the other guys but like any entry level receiver it lacks power and doesn't have weight in the sound. They expect u to have a sub to deliver weight.

Take your amp to a klipsch dealer and listen. Without the sub you will find the klipsch very bright. Initially you'll like the detail etc but you may not be able to listen for long sessions without it getting tiring. If your Marantz has a front pre out you can add a power amp to it. It's not the best way forward but if you want the klipsch it maybe a way forward.

Or visit a klipsch dealer n listen without your amp as well so you have an idea on how the klipsch sounds.

The marantz is an entry level receiver. Tonally it maybe better than the other guys but like any entry level receiver it lacks power and doesn't have weight in the sound. They expect u to have a sub to deliver weight.
One thing I can testify about Klipsch, I had Klipsch RP 8000F and Denon x4500. The combo was too bright. Now I have Klipsch Forte with Luxman and I am more than happy. So it's not the Klipsch which is bright but a lot depends on the amplifier/AVR paired with Klipsch. If the OP wants to buy Klipsch he must try it with his own AVR. In my opinion except heritage series, Klipsch is suitable for HT than stereo.

I would say it depends on what is the criteria for low volume and high volume. At real low volumes, bass can be non existent, which doesn't make sense in an HT setup. Try some room treatment, maybe its all what you want.

I would agree with a dual speaker setup for HT and Stereo separate as @audiopro suggested.
@MrRobot if you want to upgrade in steps, buy the best BS you can afford now whose sound signature you like, has capability to play good vocals and soothing highs and whatever other character you look for. Do not limit speaker selection with only an AVR unless you have the older AVRs like Yamaha Z series which have excellent power delivery. Once speaker is upgraded / separated better to look at next steps of amp up gradation.

For me its easy to comment on good source than good amplifier. CD quality music has been the prime source of music so far in digital space and vinyls for anlogue. This is not restricted to CDs only, but you can have FLAC files or stream CD quality music or higher from Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon You Tube etc. If you are going to spin CDs invest in a good CD player with a good dac. You have option to buy CD transport only and an external DAC that you may use with your PC as well in case you wish to stream. I would go for a transport rather than a CD player.

For streaming, I would say a dedicated streamer might score an edge over PC/MAC, reason being its designed to do streaming. I can't say how much would be the difference or any noticable difference. But one can always start with a PC/MAC.

Now regarding amplifiers, this is very tough question for me atleast. A lot depends on the budget (though for every component). As a ballpark number may be 40% to 50% of the total setup cost should be assigned for an amplifier. When I was looking for a stereo amplifier, I was clear that I want a anlogue only amp (no internal DAC), this gives you liberty to switch the dac when technology changes. Thats not the case with amplifiers most of the time they last for ages.

The brands that I explored are Luxman,Accuphase, Sugden (all Class A models), Bryston, Anthem, the list is end less. You just need to decide first what do you want, a tube amp, or a Solid State further which Solid State etc. If you have the option to demo, than thats the best way to decide.

Thats all with my miniscule knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Vivek
Thank you Mr. Vivek.....as per your report,it is a vast realm to explore. By the way, how can I get FLAC file to play through Marantz 6013?

Back