Bookshelf speaker within 50k

Kumar442244

Hello fellow members. Hope you are doing great.
As the subject line suggest, m in the market for a bookshelf speaker within a budget of 50k to pair with Peachtree decco. Can stretch a bit if it's really worth it. Basically, looking for a warm sounding speaker which can pair well with bright natured class d amp. Looking for speakers with Sensitivity >=87 db and impedance 6 ohms. My current amp is Peachtree decco which is 120 WPC and is a class d amp.
Basically, looking for a clean mids with neutral highs. Should have decent bass. Not too keen on the bass division as will deploy a sub for it.
Open for moderately used items as well.
Currently using Dali zensor 3 which m finding a bit bright. Looking for an upgrade over z3.
Kindly flow in the suggestion.
Thanks in advance.

Wharfies, Castle Knights, KEFs, B&Ws, Dynes, ELACs, Q-Acoustics, PSBs, DefTech, MA, Quad ...
Many of these you can audition in Bangalore. Some of them at dealers, some of them in home setups.
Hear these out, if you have not already. Choose speakers that suit your ears/room.
Be ready to be surprised about what you like and what you don't.

If you are choosing your speakers based on the assumption that the amp is "bright" you may be putting the cart before the horse.
What happens if you decide to change the amp?
Speakers that sound good to the ear and integrate into the room generally stay with you longer than electronics.
Choose wisely.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

Polk S15 is a very good option. It has good rounded sound and good bass. Easy to drive as well and more importantly light on the wallet too.

Audition it and discover your liking.

Wharfies, Castle Knights, KEFs, B&Ws, Dynes, ELACs, Q-Acoustics, PSBs, DefTech, MA, Quad ...
Many of these you can audition in Bangalore. Some of them at dealers, some of them in home setups.
Hear these out, if you have not already. Choose speakers that suit your ears/room.
Be ready to be surprised about what you like and what you don't.

If you are choosing your speakers based on the assumption that the amp is "bright" you may be putting the cart before the horse.
What happens if you decide to change the amp?
Speakers that sound good to the ear and integrate into the room generally stay with you longer than electronics.
Choose wisely.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu, u just replicated my exact consideration set. Getting inclined towards castle knight 2, but no where to audition here in Bangalore. Wharfedale Reva and quad S2 is another option among top shortlist.
Ma silver 100 was short down as was a little bright and found kef q350 to be much better in nearly half the price. No idea about deftech, although was considering demand 11 to be carried from Belgium. Haven't heard it but reviews are great.
Could you please let me know where can I audition quad, castle, dynaudio and deftech in Bangalore? Tried but could not find a dealer.

Don't know dealer info. I have been out of the speaker game for a while now.
Hopefully local FMs will chime in if they have such speakers that can be heard at a home.
Wharfies are widely owned by FMs. Quads and CKs are a bit rarer.
DefTech try Pilakal Home AV or something in JP Nagar (opp Central Mall).

If you get a home audition opportunity, carry your amp/dac and CCA.
Cheers,
Raghu

Having owned a dyn audio emit 20, I can say they are easily the best of the lot on this price range and will beat the pants of many more expensive speakers.

Don't go by the numbers on the emit 20. They are relatively easy to run. Yes they are 4 ohms and have lowish sensitivity, but a decent amp will make the dyns sing easily.

Getting inclined towards castle knight 2,
I have heard most of the speakers that have been discussed here and recently bought the Castle knight 2, which are amazing speakers. Very neutral and balanced sound which is good for most of the genre. At 90db and 8ohm pretty easy to drive. They should be easily driven by a tube amp of average Power, they go down upto 40 and I haven't found the need for subwoofer anytime. They're no brainer at the current deal price.

Bit above your budget but Look at current B&W 683, ( Castle knight 2 equals them in most aspects at half price), Dyn M20 again you might have to upgrade the amplifier; as you mentioned earlier the Heco celan gt bookshelf may be a good contender. At more higher budget Look for used Audionote Ax 2, Kef LS 50 and Atc scm 11s ( you'd have to upgrade the amplifier) which will be substantially better over other speakers in this less than 50k range...

Last edited:
Thanks drkrack for the response. Appreciate it.
I have recently upgraded the amp so that's out of cards at the moment, or let's say for a year or two.
Castle knight 2 is for sure the fore runner along with used dynaudio emit m20 (a bit sceptical owing to their low sensitivity).
Found a dealer for heco celan in Mumbai but they don't have it in stock and moreover audition is a distant dream for celan.
Do u think castle knight 2 would be an upgrade over Dali z3?

Hello fellow members. Hope you are doing great.
As the subject line suggest, m in the market for a bookshelf speaker within a budget of 50k to pair with Peachtree decco. Can stretch a bit if it's really worth it. Basically, looking for a warm sounding speaker which can pair well with bright natured class d amp. Looking for speakers with Sensitivity >=87 db and impedance 6 ohms. My current amp is Peachtree decco which is 120 WPC and is a class d amp.
Basically, looking for a clean mids with neutral highs. Should have decent bass. Not too keen on the bass division as will deploy a sub for it.
Open for moderately used items as well.
Currently using Dali zensor 3 which m finding a bit bright. Looking for an upgrade over z3.
Kindly flow in the suggestion.
Thanks in advance.
I suspect problem lies somewhere else and would recommend looking at a mid-sized floorstanders instead.

I suspect problem lies somewhere else and would recommend looking at a mid-sized floorstanders instead.
Hello Bornfi, Thanks for the response.
My room size is smallish at 12*12 and hence accommodating FS is far-fetched. Moreover, for pure stereo, I somehow feel that the bookshelf speakers are more apt. This is my personal opinion and preference, I may be wrong here.

Do u think castle knight 2 would be an upgrade over Dali z3?
Yes (Subjective). They're two different signatures , Dali is bright and forward sounding, whereas CK2 is neutral laid back and recessed highs. Incidentally I am driving CK2 with Flying Mole Class D mono-blocks (100wpc) and they're nowhere near bright. Everything I play on them is quite likeable, even bad recordings; Dali are ruthless.

Found a dealer for heco celan in Mumbai
Heco probably no dealer is interested to continue, we are getting the clearance type of deals.

My room size is smallish at 12*12 and hence accommodating FS is far-fetched
Yes FS will be an overkill for this room size, Large Bookshelfs should be more than enough, Mine is 19x14ft and CK2 provide quite a room-ful sound.

dynaudio emit m20 (a bit sceptical owing to their low sensitivity).
They're not pretty hard to drive like ATCs but not easy to drive either. Try taking your amp for demo if possible, don't buy without listening with your amp. Quas S2 is very good if you are looking for a detailed highs without brightness. CK2 are not that detailed in Highs (My other Speakers are Magnepens) , but for LF and vocals they are impeccable. B&W if you want to listen pretty loud without any hint of distortion or shoutiness.

Do try different cables first. Speaker and interconnect.
Connect with Mr. Murthy for cables. He is well regarded on this forum.
Search the forum for location and contact details if you don't have.
Going by references to his offerings, I am sure he will be able to help you.

Borrow or buy from FM @Music Freak if his are still available.

Do try different cables first. Speaker and interconnect.
Connect with Mr. Murthy for cables. He is well regarded on this forum.
Search the forum for location and contact details if you don't have.
Going by references to his offerings, I am sure he will be able to help you.

Borrow or buy from FM @Music Freak if his are still available.
Hello NatureLover, Thanks for the response.

I am already using a pretty decent speaker cable hand crafted by Mr Murthy :) This cable actually was great with NAD and Dali, now only the amp has changed in the chain and the sound signature has largely changed. So, assuming here that its nothing to do with cable.

I am already using a pretty decent speaker cable hand crafted by Mr Murthy :)

Great!
This cable actually was great with NAD and Dali, now only the amp has changed in the chain and the sound signature has largely changed. So, assuming here that its nothing to do with cable.
NAD and Dali might have been a trifle mellow. So, yes, it might help to test with cables which would tame the highs.
How long have you had the current amp? Maybe it's still settling down. Maybe your ears will get used to the new sound in a while.
So, if it's not been very long, give it some time.

Great!

NAD and Dali might have been a trifle mellow. So, yes, it might help to test with cables which would tame the highs.
How long have you had the current amp? Maybe it's still settling down. Maybe your ears will get used to the new sound in a while.
So, if it's not been very long, give it some time.
Absolutely fair point. I have had this amp for close to 2 months now. Frankly, have not played enough with it yet. Think thats a fair chance to take. See, I am in no hurry for the speaker as i dont want to go blind-folded to acquire a speaker and then regret later. I have good 1 month in hand to close the deal. And interim, i will see cable change impact, use as a pre and NAD as power and vice-versa etc and then take a call. And yeah, audition of course.

if possible , please also hear Tannoy revolution xt6 once. I have smaller brother mini, they excels in each department except bass but for that I have sub-woofer. XT6 being big brother, I feel bass will be good enough.
Even the Tannoy Xt range is not neutral exactly. They are a bit close to being called bright speakers, but they do have a lot of pros. And they can be placed in a small room comfortably due to its downward port.
If my memory serves me correctly then I believe that Tannoy XT floorstands are completely sold out in india and they are replaced by the Fyne audio 500 series, which are also designed and developed by the same set of people who developed the Tannoys.
Since he feel the Dalis to be bright, I believe he likes laidback sound. So Castle and Elac may fit to your taste.

I stay at Haralur Road. I will share my location, in case if you wanna come to my place. As u said decco being little bright , yes Castle Knight and also Diamond 11.2 would might give good result as they are laid back speakers. if you want to try decco with mini, please come by.
U have a PM

@FM Please advice on Castle Knight 2 bookshelves.. reviews suggests that it is warmer in sound .. Any ownership reviews here ?

@FM Please advice on Castle Knight 2 bookshelves.. reviews suggests that it is warmer in sound .. Any ownership reviews here ?
@drkrack posted twice on this thread regarding CK2.
Many a Hyd FM say he has "golden bat" ears.
He is very helpful and a nice guy, provided you ask the right questions.
@SachinChavan owns a pair too.
Here is FM @sidvee's link to a review

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back