Bose Sounddock Series 1 in need of care

blackhorn

I have a sounddock series 1, that a friend of mine left me when he moved abroad, on checking it, i found that the sound would fade intermittently, and the cause was the connector was moving around a lot, on removal and closer examination, it became apparent, that the connector was corroded and also in need of soldering, for the time being i have remover the connector and tried resoldering, but it hasn't produced reliable results. I am scared of taking it to the Bose service center, and they demanding an exorbitant fee for something that is already quite old. I am wondering if any forum members have had this problem and how they managed to fix it? I put up in Delhi and if any forum member know of any shop or repairing service that would be a big help. I also thought of upgrading the pcb to offer say bluetooth connectivity, if someone could throw some light on the options in that respect, thanks in advance.

So anyhow, I didn't actually managed to fix the 30 pin itself, I did try and resolder it, and it did work intermittently. But the weight of the ipod would put it back where it was. So after looking for replacements which would have cost me 2k plus. I made a patch cable from an old 3.5mm to RCA cable, cut the RCA ends, as you can see in the previous post, the connected on the PCB is numbered from 1 to 24, I soldered each channel to pin 13 and 14, soldered the ground to pin 24, and put a 2k ohm resistor between pins 19 and 20 to trick the the dock into operation. Next order of business is to add a bluetooth stereo receiver to it.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-08-16 at 12.33.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-08-16 at 12.33.33.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 18
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-08-16 at 12.33.32 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-08-16 at 12.33.32 (2).jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 17
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-08-16 at 12.33.32 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-08-16 at 12.33.32 (1).jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 17
Well, had been using this for a year and more as a soundbar with my pc, eventually, one fine day it stopped working, i think probably it had something to do with the power brick, so i took it apart and apparently it was a common power brick, a phihong psm36w-208 only with a molex, however i've looked for some commong issues, and i don't have a replacement brick to share it, would appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of someone in delhi who can troubleshoot.

^still looking for some info on this, if someone can help to arrange a power supply for the Bose Soundock series 1

This model and other similar docks of those generation are discontinued, so hard to get from Bose service centre itself. But if possible you may find a centre and try checking.

Regarding the volts and watts, double check. It could be 20 volts. And the figure for watts is also important. But Volts should exactly match.

After that you can try similar figures but a different shaped power supply.
One link i found, but just check for reference.

thanks for responding, the exact model number is the bose psm36w-201/208, apparently the first gen had the molex connector on it, and the second gen had a 3 pin barrel connector, I'm putting this up because information seems a bit scarce on this subject. It actually 36w, with a ground, meaning +/-18v 1a with a ground. Invebo is a site which carries spares and upgrade packages for the sounddock, if someone wants to change out the module for it, making it bluetooth 5.0 capable. You can probably check it out.

For the Power supply i found video which is quite informative. So posting it here

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back