Boston Acoustics A26 with Yamaha rx v-481

amitnigam2809

Hello Friends,

I am reading your valuable posts since last year, when i started thinking of to buy/build a decent Home Theater system.

After lots of reading and searching through the internet I have finally made up my mind to go for Yamaha RX V-481.

For speakers I am planning to build it in stages as most of the respected members have suggested here.

The question arises for what speakers should I buy. My requirements are 60% Movies and 40% Music. Going through the hifimart, I saw some good deals for Boston Acoustics A26 and A25 bookshelf speakers and they fit in my budget too. Also the reviews for A26 are good. So, will it be good decision to pair the Yamaha 481 with A26 or A25 or should i look for more options? Like Wharfedale 220, Zensor 3, etc. Comparing Wharfedale 220 with Boston A26, A26 has bigger driver, better frequency range and higher sensitivity.

If I start with Boston's A26, what should be my future path for center, surrounds and sub-woofer? As per forum members' opinions the center channel should be of same brand/series to match the sound signature but the availability of Bostons's speakers is always a hard task. Besides availability I am also concerned about the after sales service and warranty as some eople says that Boston has stopped supplying products to India.

Would like to mention that last week I took a demo for Zensor 3 and Q Acoustics 2020i but that dealer was not having Bostons and Wharfedales...

From the above demo I liked the sound stage of Zensor 3. It was sounding pretty smooth and warm for Jagjit Singh's ghazals but while playing A.R. Rahman(Dil Se) the oomph factor was somewhat missing. The price quoted(Rs. 28,000/-) is also exceeding my budget.

Requesting all the respected members for valuable suggestions.

For Taga, I am not very sure about the overall quality. Very less reviews too. Seems like they are being sold in Indian market only.
I doubt whether its a good combination? I owned a yamaha 477 it was quite bright, to the extent that I didn't use it with my Polk for stereo listening.

Boston also sound bit more on the brighter side in my brief experience with them . I'd pick Wharfedales, Dali, MA, Kef if I'm going with Yamaha ; Denon amp if I'd have to stick with Bostons, Polk or Klipsch.

Haven't heard Yamaha with BA. But speakers like Polk, Klipsch etc will sound bright with Yamaha. I can say Wharfedales is a good match from my usage.

I doubt whether its a good combination? I owned a yamaha 477 it was quite bright, to the extent that I didn't use it with my Polk for stereo listening.

Boston also sound bit more on the brighter side in my brief experience with them . I'd pick Wharfedales, Dali, MA, Kef if I'm going with Yamaha ; Denon amp if I'd have to stick with Bostons, Polk or Klipsch.

Hi,
Do you mean that you have paired Taga with Yamaha 477? and were sounding very bright?

If Boston's are only a bit bright then I will be happy with them. But, of course they should not be harsh.

Wharfedales Diamond 220 are in my list but comparing the specs with BA A26...I am more inclined towards Boston.

I think PSBs will be way above my budget.
The alpha's are the same price as Wharfedale 220's. Just try out as many options as you can. I have a pair of rave speakers locally made for 12,000.
they make me smile when i play crappy source files like low bit rate mp3's.
You never know what might do the trick.;)

Hi,
Do you mean that you have paired Taga with Yamaha 477? and were sounding very bright?

If Boston's are only a bit bright then I will be happy with them. But, of course they should not be harsh.

Wharfedales Diamond 220 are in my list but comparing the specs with BA A26...I am more inclined towards Boston.

If your inclined towards Boston not sure if u had seen this in "Sale by owner" section, FM had Boston Acoustics A26 - 1 month old - 13.5K on sale. Its worth checking provided its still avbl :thumbsup:

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/64686-boston-acoustics-a26-1-month-old-13-5k.html

Cheers,
Binu

The alpha's are the same price as Wharfedale 220's. Just try out as many options as you can. I have a pair of rave speakers locally made for 12,000.
they make me smile when i play crappy source files like low bit rate mp3's.
You never know what might do the trick.;)

Will try definitely but not too much auditions...too much auditions can lead to confusion, I think.

Hi,

I meant Bostons and Yamaha..
I have not listened to Taga anytime, so I can't really comment.

Bostons are usually brighter and some even perceive it as harsh, and with Yamaha you may not be enjoyable.
Don't bother much about specs, if it satisfies you (mostly you'll feel the urge to keep on listening ) then just go ahead. Check with Wharfedale & other European brands.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I meant Bostons and Yamaha..
I have not listened to Taga anytime, so I can't really comment.

Bostons are usually brighter and some even perceive it as harsh, and with Yamaha you may not be enjoyable.
Don't bother much about specs, if it satisfies you (mostly you'll feel the urge to keep on listening ) then just go ahead. Check with Wharfedale & other European brands.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I've read some where in this forum that being low in power handling, bass/midrange driver of both the Wharfedale 220 got damaged(paired with Yamaha 477) and the user was advised not to play/set them as large speakers in AVR. This is the reason I am bit more concerned about specs too.

Friends,

Just to update that, today I've received my BA A26 pair. I placed the order to MZ Audio, Mumbai on 29-10-2016 and received the package today at my office address. It is yet to be opened. Will share the pictures as soon as I open it.

Thanks from my heart to one of our FM for providing details of MZ Audio.

Will be picking the AVR, Yamaha RX V-481 within a day or two.

Now the hunt for BluRay Player starts. Please suggest a decent BluRay Player with the option to play videos through USB as I have a lot of downloaded content. Network and WiFi is not required as the AVR is already capable to take care of it.

Thank a lot for valuable inputs and suggestions.

Finally, the wait ends.

My first HT buildup, Yamaha RX V-481 is now in my living room with Boston Acoustics A26 as their companions. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

What a sound-stage it produces... Totally out of the world. In one word, its just awesome. When the first song was played, we all had a big smile on our face. It was lovely.

Boston Acoustics A26 are no doubt one of the best. And Yamaha's can't be questioned. Yamaha RX v-481 is definitely very musical receiver.

Starting this journey with stereo setup and will be slowly building the things.
Of course, the money matters

Thanks
Amit

Friends,

Just to update that, today I've received my BA A26 pair. I placed the order to MZ Audio, Mumbai on 29-10-2016 and received the package today at my office address. It is yet to be opened. Will share the pictures as soon as I open it.

Thanks from my heart to one of our FM for providing details of MZ Audio.

Will be picking the AVR, Yamaha RX V-481 within a day or two.

Now the hunt for BluRay Player starts. Please suggest a decent BluRay Player with the option to play videos through USB as I have a lot of downloaded content. Network and WiFi is not required as the AVR is already capable to take care of it.

Thank a lot for valuable inputs and suggestions.

Congrats and enjoy your setup.
Pioneer BDPs are very well built with all the features ticked.
There are Samsung and Philips models. But I find Pioneer build quality is superior.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back