Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 , Yamaha NS-P40 or Denon SYS-1312 - Please help?

redtilldead

Hello,

I'm setting up my first budget 5.1 system and require some help on which speakers I should get to mate with either a Denon AVR-1612 or Yamaha rx-v373 receiver.

Due to me being in Dubai, UAE, my choices are limited to the following:

Please can you advise which of the above speakers is the best (perhaps in order by rating)?

I don't have much knowledge about power/frequency response/impedance.

Appreciate your help and support.

Re: Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 , Yamaha NS-P40 or Denon SYS-1312 - Please help

I am in a similar predicament.. what and how did you choose? All three are in similar price range. Was about to go for Denon Sys 5.1 (1312) but they are slightly bulky and want to be sure.

Re: Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 , Yamaha NS-P40 or Denon SYS-1312 - Please help

I am in a similar predicament.. what and how did you choose? All three are in similar price range. Was about to go for Denon Sys 5.1 (1312) but they are slightly bulky and want to be sure.

I have heard the denon sys 5.1 and its not upto mark. However BA has very good reviews and i feel ba xs 5.1 is the one you must choose. Take an audition and then decide

Thanks rayvonnee. I should've elaborated a bit.

Music is equally (or more important) for me as a 5.1 experience. I listen to music more than I see movies. Moreover since I'm living in an apartment complex, don't have liberty to turn it up, so it should sound good even in low volumes.

I've kind of shortlisted on Denon AVR-X1100W for the receiver.

There's a package of Denon Sys 5.1 along with it for around 58K; I keep hearing Denon is good with A/V receivers but not with speakers and there are not many options with Denon speakers. (true?)
The Boston ba xs 5.1 looks really small and cute. but I keep reading in review that "for their size, very very good". Is it good for music regardless of its size?

The living room hall where its going to sit is quite big (18 ft x 11 ft). Will the subwoofer have enough depth? Im OK with 'can also give good surround experience' but not with 'can also handle music'.

Budget is around 60 K. Please suggest

Last edited:

None of the above packages will be able to perform extremely well for music. You need atleast bookshelf speakers for listening to music. Music is best enjoyed in 2 channels. However if you want both movies and music . Check marantz AVR's which are excellent for music. Go audition various 5.1 satellite speaker systems and at the same time go and audition Floor standing speakers and bookshelf speakers. I was having a budget of 50k and was thinking of getting satellite speakers and subwoofer. I read hifivision forum and came to a conclusion that you need not invest in a very high end avr. But the speakers you select are more important and which make the difference. I got denon avr-x500 for 22k and was left with 28k for satellite speaker system. However i then auditioned bookshelf speakers with subwoofer and was amazed at the difference bigger speakers could make. The mids dont feel left out and there is a perfect balance of highs mids and lows which i felt were missing in the satellites which had more of the highs and were missing in mids. However i had to increase my budget from 50k to 75k and finally took the call for bookshelf speakers + subwoofer. I would have surely gone for a marantz avr with boston acoustic speakers. But the cost was too high and considering that i too live in an appartment dropped the idea. My living room is 15x20 and desperately needed a 10inch subwoofer to give sufficient bass. I would suggest that you audition bookshelfs or floorstanders and then later go on adding the rest. You can audition many other brands which are available. The first thing you have to do now is audition and compare various speakers. Then come back here and post what is your opinion and i am sure there are many more who will help you out with making the right choice.
To start off: Audition Boston Acoustics soundware series and A25,A26 or similar and compare. Similarly do this for all brands. Hear their satellite systems and bookshelfs or FS and post the difference you hear and wheter you like option A or B or C, etc

Last edited:

Hi Red till ,Based on the 3 options u can go for BA soundware 5.1
Hi rugs,if u r more interested in music then y to go for AVR, better to buy a stereo receiver preferably Marantz.

Thanks for the opinions and insights.

Looks like the options and possibilities are endless. I'm not sure I can audition all these different systems.

Yes music is important, but I don't want to lose out on the 5.1 experience. After all, for both we need systems producing good sound. :)

Dont like the floor standing ones much.

Thinking of upgrading speakers to BA 5.1 (instead of XS 5.1) and scale down the Denon receiver to Denon AVR-X510BT (instead of Denon AVR-X1100W). Will lose out on Wi-Fi but will have the inbuilt Bluetooth feature.

May audition this sometime.

Hi Rugs,

Could you please update if you have bought Denon X510 and BA soundware 5.1. I am also planning to but the same combination but BA A2310 instead of BA soundware 5.1.

hello vir007,
No I haven't made the purchase yet. difficult to audition the exact combination you want. I auditioned

1. Denon X510 and Denon sys 5.1
2. Pioneer VSX523 + BA XS 5.1
3. Pioneer VSX523 + Andrew Jones (AJ5235)

I could compare 2 and 3 with the same set of music and movie scene.

After listening to Floor standing I have eliminated satellites from my radar. Depth of floor standing especially for music cannot be matched by satellites.

Im hesitant to go for AJ5235 just because of the rear surround speakers. They are too bulky to be put up the wall. Any suggestions or alternatives for rear speakers for the same? i.e., SP-FS 52 for fronts, SP-C22 for center and S-51W. what about surrounds? Can i mix and match any other surrounds?

Didn't get much time to follow it up. Denon 510BT seems be good but MARANTZ NR1504 seems to be available in hifi mart for nearly the same price.

Its all really confusing.

Let me know how you find BA A2310 with Denon.

Denon speaker package is not that great. If Yamaha has a wooden build for speakers then it should be good. I had an old Yamaha speaker package like 7 years back and the sound quality was awesome because of the wood case. It was heavy and had less vibrations. I hear BA is a good choice. Try to listen between the two.

If you want quality music then you will not be getting that with either of these 5.1 packages. As people here will tell you for the umpteenth time that for music you should go for a stereo amplifier, I will tell you the same. However I completely understand that you do not wish to miss out on the 5.1 experience, then stick with the AVR. Although a compromise has to be reached somewhere to satisfy what you are looking for.
Maybe you can postpone the 5.1 experience for a while and get a pair of quality stereo speakers as your front left and right? This way you will have good music even with an AVR, and add the surrounds and center speaker over time, in the next 6 months or so perhaps. You can get a sub now along with the 2 bookshelves, this will ensure a wholesome movie experience and a beautiful sounding system for music too. In my opinion this is the right way to approach, in the not-so-long run you will be a huge gainer than buying a packaged system such as the ones you mentioned.

Consider the following options for your speakers:

1) Dali Zensor 3
2) Monitor Audio BX2
3) Wharfedale Diamond 121 / 122
4) Boston Acoustics A26
5) Polk Rti A3

These are well regarded and well received on a budget. My personal favorite are the Dalis, outstanding for the price.

Today had a chance to audition again

1. Zensor 1 (L-R)
2. Pioneer AJ (L-R-C)
3. Focal Bird (forgot to ask exact version)

I thought the #1 was very sharp compared to #2.

#2 was not so sharp for an unknown song he played, but when he played a familiar MoneyforNothing mp3, it sounded quite sharp and deep.

So he was suggesting as one of the option
>Pioneer AJ FS52 for L,R and C
>Boston Acoustic 2.1 for surround and sub (these can be easily mounted behind the sofas in my living room and it blends in)
> Pioneer 823 (?) - does it have bluetooth?

Altogether he was saying around 80. I'm sure he might come down more.

Again I live in apartment and may not be able to play very loud, but I want good music and also a surround experience.

Requesting suggestions on the above configuration. will it work together well?

Listen to some more, Bangalore has lots of options, FMs from the city can help you with places to visit.
Listen to different combinations before you take your pick, try to listen to a Denon / Yamaha + Dali combo, comes well regarded in the forum.

If you are in Bangalore checkout htstorein JPNagar. Htstore.in Lokesh is the owner he was an exOnkyo manager and very knowledgeable. He can help pick for you. He carries lot of brands. Including Dali and Wharf

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back