Bought Luxman c383 / m383 amp

Sunderpalanivel

Hi friend,

I recently bought luxman c383/m383 pre power amp. I really like luxman brand so i bought it and im happy about the sound quality as well. However i have few doubts in my mind and will aprreciate if experts here can shed some light.

Its a 1996 amp so do I need to worry about recaping ? Usually whats the age after which i need to think about recapping

Its a remote model but the remote was not given to me..how can I get a remote.

Finally any other feedback or information about this amp from any others who used it will be welcome as there is very less information availabe online on this model.

Thanks,
Sunder.IMG-20180729-WA0007.jpg

Is there any graininess/muddiness in sound? How is the treble? Normally Luxman with almost worn out caps, it would sound more midrangy with lack in airnyness in treble. Also it will not be tight in sound. But it would still go damn loud. Unless you give it to a reputed person or you are really good with DIY dont try it. Luxmans will have Bias adjustment so after changing caps, make sure you do that as per manual. Also beware of the fake caps. ;)

Try a Logitech Harmony 300? Try the headphone out to listen carefully about the aspects. The power amp cannot be tested that way too ;)

My opinion:

I am not familiar with Luxman but speaking generally. Its kind of common for users to think about recapping older and fully functional amplifiers, but from my experience with recapping, especially older amplifiers, I've often found that after recapping, the amplifier never seems to sound how it should have. To get it to sound good, several hours, spanning months or perhaps, years of burn-in is required. Rather than going for mass-recapping, it is always a clever idea to first check the status of the existing capacitors using a good quality ESR meter. Change only the ones that have highly indicative ESR readings (very intricate variances can be ignored). The older caps on the amp would have had significant burn in over the years and will be performing at their very best if they are in good shape. A lot would also depend on the history of the amplifier. If it was used regularly, then the caps are likely to be in better shape, compared to an amplifier which was stored away. Having said this, it is always good to replace filter capacitors over a period of time, irrespective of whether they are in good shape or not. Only replace capacitors other than electrolytics, if something appears physically damaged.

And yes, as rightly pointed out above, a recalibration of bias settings is important after changing caps in the output, driver or pre-driver stages of the power amplifier section.

My 2 cents.

Thanks guys..as of now I think my amp is aounsing really good. Still I wanted to check so that I can be careful. However im not a diy guy so anytime I will need some expert to do it for me. Anyone who is really good at these things please give the name and contact

There's a saying that goes, if it ain't broke no need to fix 'em.
With audio electronics I don't agree that completely. Caps work even though they are completely broken. But the quality will be not as intended. Yes there is risk though. With every other electronics I agree on that saying. But it's not worth the effort if you are not getting quality caps for replacing. I had 2 luxmans which I recapped partially. Both sounded day and night. When I got them the treble lacked the regular airy nature which I was used from previous luxmans. Also bass was not tight and lacked clarity.(still deep)The other ones sounded ok, so I didn't try to 'fix' it like you said. ;)

But if you don't have an experience about how it should sound when it works good, we don't know whether the one we have is perfect or not. In my case the first luxman O got was recapped by the previous owner.

Luxman is really underrated in this forum. It deserves definitely more attention than Nad atlest which is heavilty overrated ;) Its definitely the most refined compared to the other mainstream Japanese brands like marantz denon and pioneer.

Hi friend,

I recently bought luxman c383/m383 pre power amp. I really like luxman brand so i bought it and im happy about the sound quality as well. However i have few doubts in my mind and will aprreciate if experts here can shed some light.

Its a 1996 amp so do I need to worry about recaping ? Usually whats the age after which i need to think about recapping

Its a remote model but the remote was not given to me..how can I get a remote.

Finally any other feedback or information about this amp from any others who used it will be welcome as there is very less information availabe online on this model.

Thanks,
Sunder.View attachment 29208
WOW...nice pics

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back