Bowers and wilkins matrix 801 vs 684

elt93

Hi all,
Given the chance to own a used pair of matrix 801 or buy a new pair of b&w 684, which one would you'll go for? The b&w matrix 801 is 1987 made. Prices of both almost the same with the 801 bein a lil cheaper by a few grands. I have a pair of dm 602s2 and love them. Get along extremely well with my Onkyo Integra amp.

The B&W 801 is a Great speaker, but neds .... No DEMANDS careful intergration in a system, if it is to sound good.

The Huge Woofer needs a large room to play well, or it will Force the Room to 'sing' (Resonate).

The 801 also needs a Powerful amplifier, able to supply Lots of current and maintain a firm grip on the Large Bass Driver.

If you can meet these criteria, you will be rewarded.

If not.... its smaller cousin is more agreeable and a safer bet.

No contest. Get the 801. Plain n simple! :)

I fully second Ranjeet.

I heard Matrix 805 and 801 (i think, or it was another Matrix model), and they were by far the most well-rounded and open sounding speakers I have ever heard. I actually also heard the 684 in that audition session and it was in a different (lower) league.

Thanks for the replies... I will be auditioning the 801 soon.... Is the Integra m508 a decent amp for it? It goes well with my 602s2

I already have an m504 and an m508 is on the way... I've picked them at a rather low cost. I'm a poor man here... will have to sell a lot of stuff to get those speakers :p

That pic sums it up. Until I got my b&w 602s2 I used to think my altecs are awesome. After they came in, I couldn't tolerate the altecs upper frequencies :p

Thanks for the replies... I will be auditioning the 801 soon.... Is the Integra m508 a decent amp for it? It goes well with my 602s2

I looked up your amp, and that is an interesting amp indeed. True dual-mono, gorgeous VU meters, 200 watts. On paper, it sounds like it has enough juice for the speakers. But it is to be noted that these speakers keep improving with better quality amps.

Yes it is. It is very powerful and has got the looks to boot ;)
Soundwise, I think the bottleneck in my system are speakers. the highs are nice and crisp with very tight controlled bass. However I need Floorstanders :p

A fabulous looking amp. The VU meters give them a 'I mean business' feel.
Good luck with the 801's.

Just switched on my Lux M4000 to look those meters swing.
Regards,

elt93 said

Take your Integra amp with you when you audition the 801 matrix.

I agree with mpw.

B&W 800 series are also the apple of my eye and I had owned a 802 Matrix about 6 years ago.

I sold them (Rs 30K) because I realised that modern day Speaker sound (and looks ) has improved VASTLY since the 800 matrix series.

The Matrix disctincly sound dated compared to today's speakers.

Dont loose sleep over it ... :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back