Bowers & Wilkins Sells Out to a Tiny Silicon Valley Startup

B&W may transform into a lifestyle company.
They have been dabbling into such offerings ever since the iPhone revolution.
Not a bad thing at face value. Expect to see cool tech in the home and auto markets soon?
Cheers,
Raghu

Its a great move by B&W to sell, as audio in conventional format is fast dying. Its a matter of just a couple of years this format will be dead completely.

In any "format" conventional or otherwise, how can there not be a source? Yes, the nature of the source may change which is probably what you meant but there will ALWAYS be a source.

Amp - so this is going to be replaced with what?

Passive speakers - replaced by what? Since you mention "passive" I assume that you mean they will be replaced by "active" speakers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_speakers
Has the amp gone away? No! It's just bundled with the speaker.

Do you mean the usage of separate components for each stage is dying? My prediction is - not as long as there are people like us and there are plenty that are going to be around for a long time. :lol:

The main problem is that the "smart"(stupid) mobile phone has become the main stream consumption mode for music :(, which is the reason why main stream companies are struggling.

What i mean by conventional source is cd player, TT, Tape deck, blueray player - hetting replaced by youtube, wynx music, ganna etc.
Amp os now used inbuilt amp in the mobile.
Passive spkrs getting replaced by headphones.

Even me with all the source - cd player, TT, Tapedeck available, quality SET tube amp, quality TL FS available prefer to listen music in my ASUS mobile with KOSS protapro headphone.

I remember soothsayers predicting the same with the advent of the Walkman and the iPod at the time.

When I visit CD shops and book shops today, I see that they stock MP3 more than regular audio CD. When I have started doing for Indian music is to purchase audio CDs of new music as soon as they are released. They are certainly available for 15-30 days from date of release. At roughly Rs.75 a CD, you can afford to be no choosy about what you get. Even if one song is good, it is paisa vasool!!

Cheers

I now a days prefer streaming through wynx and gana for music for variety. I am ok with some loss of quality vis-a-vis a cd player. Again my rest of the chain is sill the tube amp, passive spkrs.

Aren't you guys overthinking it? I am sure none of the "separates" actually sell in the millions or even thousands. Schiit has done exceptionally well and they stated they sold 50,000 last year and you can bet most of them were the entry level Modi 2 at $99 or $149.

How many of us have friends or relatives with a decent stereo setup or home theater? I have 1 childhood friend who has an Onkyo home theater, the rest 100 or so folks I've known from my childhood don't even have any dedicated equipment for music. It's either the TV, or their smartphone.

This has always been the case, audiophilia has always been and will always be a niche market.

The only folks I know with any serious audio and video equipment are people I've met via forums like these and at audio meetups and shows, and that's a fraction of the over 7 billion of the world's population.

That said I do agree with what Hari is saying even within the audiophile niche, but its not about a disappearing market, but actually the market improving especially in terms of technology.

Single unit solutions are capable of delivering better sonics. For starters doing away with all the cable clutter does wonders for the SQ, trust me I've been doing it. Likewise with no moving parts, isolation from other elements/components, etc. We've always had powered speakers and up to a price point they have always outperformed separates. Actually that's wrong because from what I've heard from others, the ATC actives will actually destroy any separates at any budget.

I actually believe the Naim Mu-So, Devialet Phantom, Dynaudio X6, etc. are an improvement over traditional separates, and that's actually a good thing. Klipsch has reference wireless powered speakers for the home theater. Just a hub, and a remote. That future is actually looking good by doing away with all the conventional chain of separates.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back