Bright Illumination behind the panel

jayantadak

Hi,

My Samsung panel 46" went kaput just in 11 months, just within the warranty period. The Samsung guys first told me that they do not have a panel for the 6 series for replacement, hence they would be just refunding my amount. After a couple of days, got a phone from them saying that they have the panel. The service engineer came and replaced the panel two days ago. The picture has no issues, except that I notice a bright illumination from the left and right end of the vertical frames, just before the DVD player starts in the play mode.

This illumination appears to come from both the ends. To be specific, when I play a movie on the player, as we know there is an at least 3/4 second gap between the pressing of the PLAY button and the actual starting of the movie. In this gap period the screen should appear black, but I find a bright illumination is spread all over the screen. This illumination disappears once the movie starts. The same appears while I play movies through my WD player. But it not at all noticeable while watching Tata sky channels (i.e. broadcast TV). I consulted the service engineer, whereby he told me that it is nothing but the back-light. (But why this backlight did not appear in my previous panel ???)

Have any of our friends experienced the above. Please let me know. Cause of worry, is that the illumination wasn't before the panel got replaced.

Regards

- - JAYANT.

@lake 1988,

No, by reducing it the picture tends to become dark. I had tried it. What I am experiencing is it BACKLIGHT BLEEDING? I had googled it, but BLEEDING appears to be different, in bleeding the colours and illumination form a patch on the screen and hinder while watching the TV. In my case, I virtually don't notice anything, the picture appears to be fine on all the edges. It is just when in stand by mode some Logo appears as in the case of PIONEER DVD Logo, or the WD Logo, the screen appears to be illuminated in somewhat bluish white colour.

If it does not harm the TV, I would rather not bother with it. Just let me know if you find anything on it.

can you do this..there should be a white balance setting in advanced pic setting where you can individually control different color R,G,B..try to reduce them or adjust till you get desired result.

I am not an expert on this and doing some guesswork here ...

Take the example of a car. All engines of the same car models are identical and yet different. What makes them different is the tuning/setup they do in the factory so that all car units yield more or less the same performance. This is probably true with TVs also. When they manufacture in the factory, they will be tuning the panel with rest of the electronics. They will basically adjust gain/bias of the LED lighting, panel brightness, etc.

In your case what has probably happened is that the "engine" has been changed without tuneup.

Is there a gap between panel and frame on each side after the new panel was fitted? Does picture fill entire panel to the edge of the frame properly? Or is there a gap that wasn't present earlier?

What TV? LCD or LED edge lit? If LED edge lit, then looks like it's the LEDs lighting through a miniscule gap... then nothing to worry IMO

Last edited:
Is there a gap between panel and frame on each side after the new panel was fitted? Does picture fill entire panel to the edge of the frame properly? Or is there a gap that wasn't present earlier?

What TV? LCD or LED edge lit? If LED edge lit, then looks like it's the LEDs lighting through a miniscule gap... then nothing to worry IMO

+1 to the question ?

@jayantadak
could you post a picture of the problem to make it clear.

@adder,

Sorry for reverting back a bit late, was out of town.

It is an edge let LED TV.

I have attached pictures shot from the left, right, center, etc.

You will also notice, the illumination which appears in the 'logo' mode disappears while watching the video/Tata sky. If it is a matter of concern, I will pursue the matter with Samsung. As a matter of fact, I have mailed them the matter, but they have not reverted back yet. Also they are not talking anything about the extended warranty which I wanted to avail of. That is to say, if I am not covered under warranty I am running a high risk.

Awaiting your opinion.

- - JAYANT.

Attachments

• Left illumination.jpg
    Left illumination.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Right illunination.jpg
    Right illunination.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Centre pix.jpg
    Centre pix.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 57
  • STAND BY PIX.jpg
    STAND BY PIX.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen shot 1.jpg
    Screen shot 1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 58
This is normal for LCD TVS with LED/CFL backlighting and without local dimming. You will see this behavior if certain areas of screen needs to be very bright while others need to be completely dark. Such occurence is rare in regular tv or movies - unless you are fan of horror movies with lot of scenes involving dark basements with only flashlit lighting.

So ... unless you see that certain areas of screen are always lit - ignore it.

This is normal for a lcd tv, thats the contrast shift you are seeing at different angles.
None of the pictures shows a image take exactly from the center

May be you are noticing this more due a different panel tech used in the tv.
Go to the service menu during standy by press "Info,Menu.Mute,Power" look for something like below
46A1UF1E ,the letter right after 46 is the panel make

46 screen size
A panel make (A = Samsung; D = CMO; L = AUO; I = CPT,P = chungwa, H = chinlin or sharp cannot confirm )
1 frequency (6 = 50 Hz; 1 = 100Hz; 2 = 200Hz for indian models for NTSC it will be 60,120,240hz)
U panel (A = Anti glare; T = TN; U = Ultra clear)
F resolution (F = 1080p; H = HD; )
0 irrelevant
C backlight unit (C = CCFL; L = backlight LED; E = Edge LED)

@ adder
@ reachbennym

So what is the bottom line ? Should I ignore and live with it or call for a technical help from Samsung service.

PS. THIS ISSUE WAS NOT THERE (OR NOT NOTICEABLE) IN MY PREVIOUS PANEL WHICH GOT REPLACED A FEW DAYS AGO.

Thanks a lot and regards.

Your final words please.....

- - JAYANT.

@jayantdak, I suggest that you take pictures without flash using tripod or steady surface. You can use timer to avoid camera shake while pressing the shutter realease.

@jayantdak, I suggest that you take pictures without flash using tripod or steady surface. You can use timer to avoid camera shake while pressing the shutter realease.

In the dark... at night, with only the TV switched on with a dull grey image ... and room lights off ... don't forget.

Its a halo ... your TV is an angel ready to visit the gates of Heaven ... only you are holding it back ... :sad:

--G0bble

If you are noticing this only one this panel,then you could ask samsung about the difference.

Also did you check what panel is it.Note the original panel (that you got when you bought the tv )from the sticker at the back of the tv.search for something like SQxx,AAxx HQxx etc the XX can be numbers like 01,02,03 etc

Then check the current panel from the service menu as i told before.It could be that the current panel has a inferior viewing angles hence the noticeable contrast shit

With flash its not possible to see clearly what the problem is. Take pics without flash and without light in room. Keep the leaky-light problem on and take pics - 1 center, 1 angled, 1 from side looking at one edge.

@adder,

The original TV back's panel sticker states: HQ03. (Pix attached)

I had also clicked a pix of the back-sticker of the panel (the new one) when they came to replace it. (Pix attached)

In the service menu I followed your instructions and I got something like 46A1UF4E. Note it has '4E' instead of '1E' as per your illustration. ( I have attached a pix of this as well)

Unfortunately I didn't realize I should have taken the sticker-pix of the faulty panel as well which they took away.

Anyway, I hope I have at least a panel which is at par with the previous one.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope my provided info will help you to come at a conclusion.

Thanks again for all the help and regards.

- - JAYANT.

Attachments

• Sticker on back of TV.jpg
    Sticker on back of TV.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Sticker on the back of Panel.jpg
    Sticker on the back of Panel.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Info-Menu.jpg
    Info-Menu.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 29
Well it means they replaced the original samsung SPVA panel with a AMVA panel made by AU optronics,this is why you are seeing the difference.

46A in the service menu and HQ03 double confirms that you had initially got a samsung panel,now it has been replaced with the AMVA panel which is know to be inferior compared to the SPVA panel particularly in the viewing angle.The AMVA panel has a higher contrast shift.

You can ask samsung to replace it with a samsung panel and not a AU optronics panel.

Really glad you took the picture of the new panel,since it does not reflect in the service menu and we could have never known which panel it had,(unless you see a pixel at 10x magnification and have prior know how of the pixel structure).

Thank you all folks, for throwing light on my back-light issue. It was unfortunate for me to be possessed with an inferior panel. As a matter of fact, let us see how the Samsung people react to it when I present my complaint. Since the set is out of warranty, as of now. The warranty expired on the 23rd of August. My complaint for the faulty panel was registered on the 10th of August. The panel got replaced on 3rd of September. As a rule the panel is warranted for 1 month only from the date of replacement. By their attitude it appears that they are reluctant for the extended warranty. Let's see.

@adder,

Thanks a ton bro for the information and guidance over the issue. As said I don't think they would acknowledge the fact that AMVA is inferior to the SPVA, and would hint me that I was lucky to get the panel replaced. Though I would bring the fact to their notice about the difference in the panels but I doubt if they would reciprocate it. Wish me luck. One thing is for sure, next time it is going to be SONY.......

Regards

- - JAYANT.

Is this Samsung's new marketing policy..first put a not so good panel charge premium price+highest amount for extended warranty of all manufacturers..obviously within a year or so panel dies and replace it with a very bad panel..

Thanks adder for sharing those informations.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back