Bringing alive my inherited Philips bookshelve speakers

rpisharody

Hi All,

I have a pair of Philips Bookshelves. I (actually my wife) inherited them from an uncle and they are really old (estimated 20+ years). They had their amplifier and turntables but they went elsewhere in the family.

So what we ended up with was two good bookshelves (passive). Somewhere in 2010 or so I hooked them up to old Mercury 2.1 subwoofer. I stashed away the original satellites that came with it. Since the speakers had very simple open wiring everything connected well and the subwoofer had enough juice in it to power the speakers.

To be honest, am fine with this setup. In fact have been living with it for 4 years now. But something tells me am under-utilizing the speakers. They deserve better. :)

Also, somepoint I ended up with a 32 inch LED in the middle which means I have the temptation to "up" the action a bit. And that is when I started reading up and trying to understand a lot about good audio. Have always had keen ear for sound but did not understand the technicalities fully. Lots of research involved this site itself and ofcourse other resources too on the Internet.

Here is what I have gathered till now:

a) I need to really identify my source of music. It was computer, my transcend mp3 player and my samsung phone till now, but I want to change that. To aid that, I have ordered a "Pioneer DV-2011 DVD Player" which I will install in a nice location. That will be my source for playing music from either (i) a USB stick or (ii) A WD Passport 1TB HDD which I will dedicate for music. I can play Audio CDs too and this device will also be my movie player (with HDMI to my TV). I think that sounds like a good plan after the research. The pioneer looked simple enough to do my job and hence ordered it.

b) I want to get rid of the Mercury. Its bass knob is dying and like I said, am not even sure if I am doing it right (inspite of doing it for 4 years). On researching, have found two options. I could by a "Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5" from hifimart and put it next to my pioneer and use it as an Integrated Amplifier to drive my Philips speakers. Alternatively I was thinking about another device I read a lot about; the "Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath Amplifier". I know the choices are two extremes (or maybe they are not, I don't know :) )

c) Not sure what will happen to the bass when I remove my Mercury and put in either the CA or Lepai in the middle between my source and speaker. I do know that when I turn the bass to 0 on my Mercury the Philips sound very good, but there is no bass. Not a fan of bass for the reason of bass, but am someone who likes good sound; so don't want to miss out on anything if its there in the source, because of my stupid mistakes. The speakers are 2-way; but that is an educated guess based on what I "see". I see two circular sections (drivers?) on each speaker; they are of the same diameter though, unlike pictures of 2-way speakers I have seen. But I understand that does not mean they will produce low frequency sounds. Maybe they are there to double the power and nothing else. I am apprehensive about opening them up to learn more (maybe I should) lest I damage them.

So ... that is the story till now. I would really appreciate insights, opinions and even critique. Am also open to 'hey! you got all that wrong' :)
Especially on my point (c) above. I do have other radically different plans. Sell the Philips (what if that is putting a constraint on my flow here) and think again about a different setup. But that would be too easy wouldn't it? I really want to put them to good use.

Am hoping am going in the right direction with this. As you can see, I do not have straight questions but that is because am not even sure where am going. Waiting to end this and sit back and listen to some music though. :)

Ratheesh

The "Pioneer DV-2011 DVD Player" arrived a week ago. Have been dusting my limited collection of audio cds and playing them on this for a week now. I have to admit they sound much better on this than they ever did when played on my laptop (or via the ripped mp3 versions I have been listening to).

Visited hamaracd.com yesterday and created some spins of Kishori Amonkar. That should arrive in a week.

Meanwhile, the "Lepai" is yet to arrive. All this action currently via the Mercury. Once the amp arrives, I have to do this all over again to see how much improvement all this is making.

The Lepai never arrived. Actually, I had to cancel it. For whatever reason, the entire product changed on amazon between the time I ordered it and they shipped. Try looking for "lepai lp-2020a+" on amazon.in today (25th Aug 2014) and compare to what you find on amazon.com and you will know what I mean. :p

I have no clue what they are selling on amazon.in right now. Spoke to the seller as well as amazon.in. No one has a clue as to what happened and why the product changed. But to avoid getting what looks like glorified volume control I cancelled the order.

But that means I am stuck too. My Pioneer DVD player with my old Mercury is keeping my music going but the project is incomplete. What are my options? Would like to get some inputs from experts here.

Should I go back to the "CA Topaz AM5" which is available at hifimart.com for about 12k? Or should I still pursue a cheaper amp? (I find some on amazon.com and ebay.com, no good ones on the *.in sites).

Change in plans. Planning to sell off the Philips speakers (will be posting here at some point). Found a pair of Boston Accoustics A26 at hifimart last week at a good price (13,900). Ordered them. They are yet to arrive.

Now, obviously the mercury sub that was driving my philips has to go and I don't want to go for Lepai or Topping because I think I want one amp, a remote and atleast 2 or three sources to be connected (TV, Pioneer DVD player, Some AUX from phones and Transcend player at home).

Budget I had set aside for Amp was about 10-13k, infact speaker was not planned and that was almost spontaneous, so have to wait for this. :)

The BA-A26 has an impedance of 8ohms and recommends amplifer in the range 10-150W. The CA Topaz AM5 comes on hifimart at 12,150. It can do 25W into 8ohms. From my limited understanding by hanging around these forums and learning from you, I think that is good (Please let me know if I am wrong).

My room size is 10ft by 8ft. My guess is that the above amp and the speakers I ordered will do. Did not have time for auditions so have to live with what I get, but what is your opinion, sounds alright?

You have some other VFM choices if you have not already ordered the amp. CA Topaz series

Marantz 5004 (available for 16.5K) Recommended if you can squeeze your budget
Sonodyne SIA amps
Norge
Any used vintage amp if you can get one in good condition

Edit: Just saw 5004 is sold out. It was available earlier as a special offer by Hifimart at this price. But still I would recommend to check with local dealers and you might get a good deal being a old model

Last edited:
Thanks @Vinay2013 for the suggestions.

I have sent a note to Norge Audio asking for some details ( I am in Bangalore ). Will look around for the others in the city.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back