Broke my DL103... What next?

atharva

Hi,

I accidentally broke the cantilever of my DL103 :sad: and am looking for suggestions on my next cart. It was my first cart and I liked it. Now that I've used vinyl for a while I don't mind spending up to $500. May be the 103R?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

Sorry for your loss.
103R has edge over 103 in highs, smoother and crystal clean. Otherwise same.

Sent from my E6 using Tapatalk

You can get it rebuilt with different options for cantilever and stylus, but this would cost more than a new DL-103, however the retipping will take the cart to the next level.
You can also change the plastic cart body with a aluminium or wood one.

You could buy a new DL-103/103R and send this one for rebuilding, or you could sell the broken one so that somone else could rebuild it.

Soundsmith retip with ruby cantilever will take performance to a much higher level. I believe they also do wood body, which will take it even higher.

Thanks for all your inputs.

I have checked the retip service of SoundSmith but it will take a long time so need something in the mean time.

Any HOMC carts that are better than the 103/103R? I know I'll need to change the phono but wouldn't mind if it's worth it.

Thanks for all your inputs.

I have checked the retip service of SoundSmith but it will take a long time so need something in the mean time.

Any HOMC carts that are better than the 103/103R? I know I'll need to change the phono but wouldn't mind if it's worth it.
I moved from DL110 HOMC to 103R LOMC. That 110 was good but 103r is different ballgame altogether.

You have seen and heard I think, OEM plastic body.

Sent from my E6 using Tapatalk

You can try fixing the cantilever if it is broken halfway through and you managed to find it. I managed to fix my M97XE where the cantilever broke just behind the tip. luckily it was broken but did not come out in two piece.so i managed to bend it back in position and used Araldite 5min epoxy with 25x magnifier/tooth pick. sounds good now. also have read if the cantilever is broken apart, can be fixed with cactus thorn and the epoxy glue. Cactus Cantilever Grafting | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Lucky you Arun. Mine broke completely. Yes I do have the tip. Will look at the link you sent.

I broke mine Dl-103R yesterday. I was removing the catridge from the plastic housing to fit it with Techne Audio Allumide. Went and bought a second one in 45min. So upset, I was could not digest what went wrong. By evening finished the casing upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back