BSNL Broadband - Any good alternate

mathan

I'm really having issues with BSNL Broadband for the past couple of months. Not sure if anyone else is facing the issue. Having 4mbps ULD but the for past few months the speed really sucks even before the FUP is fully utilized. Moreover their self-care portal is not working now for the past week. They have also increased the BB pricing and now I pay around 2K for BB and phone useage (Rs.1425 for BB). It is time that I think I need to scrap BSNL and go for another provider. The problem is there are not many providers in Chennai for ADSL connection except Airtel and BSNL. I am skeptical to go with Airtel as I am not sure about their service and connection speed. Any suggestions?

When I checked with Airtel they insist that I buy a new modem from them. Can't we use the same modem which we use for BSNL? I also have one or two ADSL modem which is working good with BSNL BB. I think these modems can be configured for Airtel also.

Im using Airtel for close to 7 years, the service is good, i don't get much technical problems, even if i do, they have strong internal SLAs to resolve issues. As long as your BSNL modem has PPPoE (my guess is, it should support!) setup enabled, there should not be any problem paring with Airtel. If you plan to buy a modem, pls dont get it from service providers, there are much better products outside (Linksys, dlink, belkin etc).

Im using Airtel for close to 7 years, the service is good, i don't get much technical problems, even if i do, they have strong internal SLAs to resolve issues. As long as your BSNL modem has PPPoE (my guess is, it should support!) setup enabled, there should not be any problem paring with Airtel. If you plan to buy a modem, pls dont get it from service providers, there are much better products outside (Linksys, dlink, belkin etc).

How is Airtel speed in regard to downloading and uploading? I'm thinking of taking up their 8mbps ULD plan. As of now with the BSNL 4mbps plan the download speed is not even matching up to 1mbps.

I am Airtel customer for last 3 year.now a days they are not giving proper service.from last 1 month I am facing net problem,daily I am giving complaint,even though no use.some one will come and do,after next day same issuse.

When I checked with Airtel they insist that I buy a new modem from them. Can't we use the same modem which we use for BSNL? I also have one or two ADSL modem which is working good with BSNL BB. I think these modems can be configured for Airtel also.

You don't have to purchase the ADSL modem only from Airtel. You can use ADSL modems either purchased from the open market eg. Iball 150M Wireless-N ADSL2+ Router - iBall: Flipkart.com or try and re-use other provider ADSL modems.

In either case, you will have to know the settings on your modem (BSNL, or open market) that correspond to what Airtel provides you since the terminology may be different between providers/modems. It is not very difficult as long as your modem supports PPPoE and has settings for VPI, VCI. If you are opting for a high-speed plan from Airtel, ensure your modem supports ADSL2.

How is Airtel speed in regard to downloading and uploading? I'm thinking of taking up their 8mbps ULD plan. As of now with the BSNL 4mbps plan the download speed is not even matching up to 1mbps.

Download speeds will be good (depending on the server and route) until you cross Airtel's FUP for your plan, it then goes to 256Kbps. Upload speeds are decent, but will not be symmetrical since it is ADSL. Airtel supposedly throttles Bittorrent traffic, but have only seen throttling post FUP limit when all traffic is throttled to 80% of 256Kbps.

Download speeds will be good (depending on the server and route) until you cross Airtel's FUP for your plan, it then goes to 256Kbps. Upload speeds are decent, but will not be symmetrical since it is ADSL. Airtel supposedly throttles Bittorrent traffic, but have only seen throttling post FUP limit when all traffic is throttled to 80% of 256Kbps.

I think whether it is BSNL or Airtel or any other service providers, they usually throttle bittorrent traffic. Even during lean hours I never get decent speed through bit torrent traffic.

I haven't noticed Airtel throttling traffic pre-FUP, but that just might be my experience. If the FUP is crossed though, they interfere with traffic in a really nasty manner using DPI and really mess up any traffic on the line.

I think whether it is BSNL or Airtel or any other service providers, they usually throttle bittorrent traffic.

There are however quite a few that don't from what I have heard, Beam/Act Broadband, BBNL, Railtel etc. They still lack nation-wide reach though, but in areas where they are present, they have stirred up the broadband pot more than a bit.

I am Airtel customer for last 3 year.now a days they are not giving proper service.from last 1 month I am facing net problem,daily I am giving complaint,even though no use.some one will come and do,after next day same issuse.

Well, this could be possible because there could be too many customers connected to your DSLAM, few of my friends have Airtel and none of them complained about frequent technical problems.

Im with basic plan, i get 2 mbps speed until 25 GB post which the speed will drop down to 256 kbps, so i really do not know how they perform with higher speed, when im with 2 mbps i get the full speed without disruptions, i get justice to what i pay for Airtel :).

Im with basic plan, i get 2 mbps speed until 25 GB post which the speed will drop down to 256 kbps, so i really do not know how they perform with higher speed, when im with 2 mbps i get the full speed without disruptions, i get justice to what i pay for Airtel :).

airtel speed is good.

I have been using Reliance Broadband from November 2012 without any issues in Central Kolkata.......the speed is 4Mbps as promised.......

You don't have to purchase the ADSL modem only from Airtel. You can use ADSL modems either purchased from the open market eg. Iball 150M Wireless-N ADSL2+ Router - iBall: Flipkart.com or try and re-use other provider ADSL modems.

In either case, you will have to know the settings on your modem (BSNL, or open market) that correspond to what Airtel provides you since the terminology may be different between providers/modems. It is not very difficult as long as your modem supports PPPoE and has settings for VPI, VCI. If you are opting for a high-speed plan from Airtel, ensure your modem supports ADSL2.

If Airtel also requires ADSL modem you dont need to buy a new one and the BSNL modem can be configured for Airtel settings.
However if Airtel needs a DSL modem (Not sure about this - you will have to ask them) you will need to buy a new modem.

That was very informative. Let me check that SNR Margin as probably that might be the problem also as I get disconnected frequently.

Try to get hold of the lineman and change the line to your house. Meeting the JE in the exchange would help you expedite this process. I did this too and I rarely have disconnection/speed issues since then.

Airtel isn't that good as it was before, so try this option before changing the service provider.

I have been using Reliance Broadband from November 2012 without any issues in Central Kolkata.......the speed is 4Mbps as promised.......

I tried to get update through their website and left my number and email id but they never called back and I was unable to get any information from their customer support as they were not aware if there is provision for connection in my area.

Try to get hold of the lineman and change the line to your house. Meeting the JE in the exchange would help you expedite this process. I did this too and I rarely have disconnection/speed issues since then.

Airtel isn't that good as it was before, so try this option before changing the service provider.

My SNR margin is less than 7db downstream. I think I need to check the line in the junction box. Thanks to just4kix for pointing out this fault. I also found one more thing when I was fiddling with the router. The DSL setting had both G.DMT and ADSL2+ enabled along with couple of other modulations which was default. Do I need to uncheck anything to get the modem/router fine tuned? I have attached screen shot of the DSL setting as displayed by the router.

Last edited:
BSNL Broadband is the best. I am using the same for more than 2 Years by surrendering Airtel BB. BSNL broadband, it is really thrilling and best. Private operators are not good - they do not provide service as they advertise. They only survive by advertising and with political help. Copper cable broadband has no alternative and BSNL only has National Internet Backbone.
Some maniac people addicted to private operators without any reason.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back