Budget(?) Android-powered mini PC/media player!

sam.666

Hi guys,

Browsing through the (to quote Jeremy Clarkson:cool:) 'inter-webs', I found this Indian company that sells a pint-sized something called an

ANDROID Limebox

It is apparently a portable android-powered device that lets one play Audio/Video through USB/HDMI 1.3 (1080p). It also features WiFi 802.11 b/g/n for connectivity.

The device, featuring a 1.2 Ghz 'Rockchip' processor with 512MB DDR3 RAM and Android 2.3 (don't know if upgradable), claims to be able to play a multitude of media formats including:

Video - MP4, MOV, AVI, DVD, VIDEO, ASF, WMV, MKV, RM, RMVB, TS, TP, DAT, MPG, MPEG, VOB

Audio - MPEG-1Layer 3, WMA, WMA por, MPEG-1/2 Layer 1/2, ADPCM, AAC, OGG Vorbis, Dolby, Digital ACS, RA-COOK, FLAC, DTS, DTS HD, Down-mixing

Photo - JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF

It also features DLNA, Youtube and Flash 10.1 support

With all these formats available in a "cute" curvy chassis, could this be the ultimate budget media player??

I'm NOT quite sure, as there are some Question marks which can be sorted if one (or more) of you is interested enough to snoop around and find out:

1) PRICE: I did not contact the company to find out the price... So my guess is as good as yours!

2) Storage: It only features a 4GB in-built flash memory. So you would definitely need an external HDD to play your media.

3) Compatibility: Although the company claims that it can wirelessly connect to other devices, keyboards, etc.. No one can be sure of the extent of connectivity on offer without trying it.

4) App support: Doesn't mention anywhere if all the Android-based apps available on phones and tablets will be available to this device.

I posted this seeing how many guys (and girls?) out here are looking for a decent media player/portable PC that won't break the bank. Well, even more good news - measuring a petite 190*150*78mm (H*W*D), this one won't break your back either!:D

Disclosure:
This was a casual find while browsing, and my impression is based on the info available on the company's webpage. I'm not in anyway 'connected' to the company. All the info I have has been presented above. Further queries should be directed to the company itself.

Thanks for reading. Hope this is of help to some/many FMs here.:)

I guess it's similar to the various Android based media players which can be had on ebay for as little as 3990.
Example: Android TV Box E66 HDD Media Player - 1080P FULL HD Media Player | eBay

As to your queries:
Storage may be only 4GB but if your main priority is as a media player, then it is an added advantage since you are going to have to use a USB pendrive/HDD anyway.
About compatibility with other devices, I don't know. But as far as wireless keyboard/mouse is concerned, I'm pretty sure that these can be connected.
If the OS is Android 2.3, then apps meant for 2.3 downwards should work. Why won't they? Even Angry Birds will work (whether you want to play Angry Birds on your TV is another question) After all Android 2.3 is an operating system. If you buy the media player you are simply buying a tablet minus the screen.
If I was on the lookout for a media player, I would opt for one of these Android based media players. If you go in for a branded media player (Seagate, WD, etc) you are more or less stuck with the interface whereas with android you can customize everything and even change the video player if you are unhappy with it. Then there is the problem of zoom on these big name media players. Most of the zoom options start from 2x which not only cuts out the black bars but a good portion of the picture. With android players you should be able to accurately crop the picture.

I guess it's similar to the various Android based media players which can be had on ebay for as little as 3990.
Example: Android TV Box E66 HDD Media Player - 1080P FULL HD Media Player | eBay

As to your queries:
Storage may be only 4GB but if your main priority is as a media player, then it is an added advantage since you are going to have to use a USB pendrive/HDD anyway.
If the OS is Android 2.3, then apps meant for 2.3 downwards should work. Why won't they? After all Android 2.3 is an operating system. If you buy the media player you are simply buying a tablet minus the screen.
If I was on the lookout for a media player, I would opt for one of these Android based media players.

Hi shredder,

Thanks for the link as also for clearing the queries. I have been unaware of such devices since my Panasonic ST30 3D TV plays most if not all the formats that my files are in.

And this thread was aimed more at the HFVians who might have been looking for such an alternate to big-brand media players on a budget. To this end, your response has further consolidated the viability of the Limebox, or the E66 Android TV box you suggested or what option have you.

Even Angry Birds will work (whether you want to play Angry Birds on your TV is another question)
Haha, the prospect of playing Angry Birds on TV is certainly enticing!:eek:hyeah:

So here we go, HFVians looking for a media player that will also let you play Angry Birds can opt for one of these Android-powered budget devices!

Hi guys,

Browsing through the (to quote Jeremy Clarkson:cool:) 'inter-webs', I found this Indian company that sells a pint-sized something called an

ANDROID Limebox

It is apparently a portable android-powered device that lets one play Audio/Video through USB/HDMI 1.3 (1080p). It also features WiFi 802.11 b/g/n for connectivity.

The device, featuring a 1.2 Ghz 'Rockchip' processor with 512MB DDR3 RAM and Android 2.3 (don't know if upgradable), claims to be able to play a multitude of media formats including:

Video - MP4, MOV, AVI, DVD, VIDEO, ASF, WMV, MKV, RM, RMVB, TS, TP, DAT, MPG, MPEG, VOB

Audio - MPEG-1Layer 3, WMA, WMA por, MPEG-1/2 Layer 1/2, ADPCM, AAC, OGG Vorbis, Dolby, Digital ACS, RA-COOK, FLAC, DTS, DTS HD, Down-mixing

Photo - JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF

It also features DLNA, Youtube and Flash 10.1 support

With all these formats available in a "cute" curvy chassis, could this be the ultimate budget media player??

I'm NOT quite sure, as there are some Question marks which can be sorted if one (or more) of you is interested enough to snoop around and find out:

1) PRICE: I did not contact the company to find out the price... So my guess is as good as yours!

2) Storage: It only features a 4GB in-built flash memory. So you would definitely need an external HDD to play your media.

3) Compatibility: Although the company claims that it can wirelessly connect to other devices, keyboards, etc.. No one can be sure of the extent of connectivity on offer without trying it.

4) App support: Doesn't mention anywhere if all the Android-based apps available on phones and tablets will be available to this device.

I posted this seeing how many guys (and girls?) out here are looking for a decent media player/portable PC that won't break the bank. Well, even more good news - measuring a petite 190*150*78mm (H*W*D), this one won't break your back either!:D

Disclosure:
This was a casual find while browsing, and my impression is based on the info available on the company's webpage. I'm not in anyway 'connected' to the company. All the info I have has been presented above. Further queries should be directed to the company itself.

Thanks for reading. Hope this is of help to some/many FMs here.:)

What is the price tag of this? The other one from shredder does not seem to support HD Audio

Hi Sam.666

Did You consider Amkette EVO TV for your needs ? It sells for less than Rs 10 k . I am giving the link here . AMKETTE - EvoTV . You may have a look at this to decide whether it meets your requirements .

You could also look at Rikomagic MK802. Its a portable usb flashdrive sized mini computer which runs Android.

Thanks

Hi Sam.666

Did You consider Amkette EVO TV for your needs ? It sells for less than Rs 10 k . I am giving the link here . AMKETTE - EvoTV . You may have a look at this to decide whether it meets your requirements .

You could also look at Rikomagic MK802. Its a portable usb flashdrive sized mini computer which runs Android.

Thanks

Hello venkataramani and aramosfet,

Thank you both and the others who listed the viable options to the Limebox. I must clarify - the description was meant to help or give the metaphorical push to those sitting on the fence with a budget and requirements for multi-format players.

However, I'm sure all the viewers who had queries for such budget players will be mighty pleased to read all our posts. Its great to see such involuntary team-work taking place. And I'm most thankful for gaining knowledge from all you! :)

Also, Have any of the posters reviewed/owned any of the listed devices? Would sure be handy to have a hands-on review of any of the listed items, as I have personally not experienced an Android-powered media player.

Thanks guys.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back