Budget CD Player : PS2 v/s Marantz CD5001/3 v/s CA DV99

sachin_k5

For a budget cd player which will be the best ?

1. Playstations 2
2. Marantz CD5001/3
3. Cambridge Audio DV99

I am using PS2 as of now and find it better than my Sony Mass Market DVD Player. Plus the sony remote works on the PS2 making it easier to play audio cds. Will the other 2 beat the PS2 ?

i've never tried the PS2 as an audio CD player, i've never heard of it possessing anything that would bring it even close to the other two, but maybe if i get the time, i'll do a shootout with my CD63SE.

i've never tried the PS2 as an audio CD player, i've never heard of it possessing anything that would bring it even close to the other two, but maybe if i get the time, i'll do a shootout with my CD63SE.

That will be great if you can. I have read the CD63SE vs DV99 vs Oppo shootout at chennai. I shall eagerly await for your reviews on the difference between the PS2 and CD63SE :licklips:

Or is it a nobrainer to compare a marantz to a gaming machine ? :eek:

i've heard the 5001, and i didn't like it as much as the DV89 (brother of DV99), but i heard it in different rooms with different music, so this is not a reliable comparison, but ya, i think the cambridge would be superior to the 5001...the 5003 i don't know about.

Got a quote of 15K from Alliance for dv99 and 16k for cd5003 from viola. these were straight prices on the phone, can i bargain when i go to purchase ?

Got a quote of 15K from Alliance for dv99 and 16k for cd5003 from viola. these were straight prices on the phone, can i bargain when i go to purchase ?

The CD6002 was available for 18K. just a reminder.

For audio go for the 5003 it will beat the DV99.

Regards

one year back i paid 12.5k for 5001
one and half year back i paid 14.5k for DV99

i feel that 5001 is a shade better.

Looks like you have both the players. Is it easy to hear the difference (for audio cds only) ?

I am not very bothered about video performance.

one year back i paid 12.5k for 5001
one and half year back i paid 14.5k for DV99

i feel that 5001 is a shade better.

ranojoy, do you hear the difference when connected to your Denon AVR-2310 / Wharfedale 9.5 or are you running them through a separate stereo amp?

ranojoy, do you hear the difference when connected to your Denon AVR-2310 / Wharfedale 9.5 or are you running them through a separate stereo amp?

dont have a separate stereo amp yet.
on my existing rig, i feel that 5001 is slightly better. not very easy to hear the difference though. for all practical purposes, i think even dv99 would do.

For a budget cd player which will be the best ?

1. Playstations 2
2. Marantz CD5001/3
3. Cambridge Audio DV99

I am using PS2 as of now and find it better than my Sony Mass Market DVD Player. Plus the sony remote works on the PS2 making it easier to play audio cds. Will the other 2 beat the PS2 ?

What are the remaining components in your system and what do you listen to? This will determine your choice for a player.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back