budget headphone options with comfort and SQ under Rs 5K

gurubynameonly

I recently purchased senn hd 202 ii. I am ok with sound quality. I am not audiophile. But the ear cups are small so hurting my ears and they are tight on my head as well. More over after some time my ears are getting red hot.

I want to replace them now. I am looking for over ear headphones. which doesn't put lot of pressure on my head, comfortable to use for long hours. my main usage will be with my laptop. occasionally with mobile LG G Pro. My budget will be Rs 5k. I use it for Hollywood movies, Indian music and 2-3 hrs/day classroom sessions. I am considering HD 439. In worst case I can extend my budget for HD pro 280/380. Please suggest if they are good with comfort. Or if you have any alternatives.

Thanks in advance
guru

Are you having problems with cups resting on your ears or inside of the headphone, where the driver is, touching your ears ?

Cups are resting partially on ears. driver is not resting on the ears.

But the ear cups are not very soft for long use(compare to sony xb400). They are very small so hurting ears and headband is tight on head as well. More over after some time ears are getting red hot.

Try Philips Hi-fi headphone SHP9000. Pretty good value for money. Trust me I have one and beats the one you had (atleast my opinion).

Sony XB series. Hands down most comfortable over the ears headphones under Rs 20k. The sound quality is very good for price too.

@ranjeetrain - I have tried them. I liked the soft pads. but I am looking for over the ears. But sony XB series are on the ears model.

@chayan - thank you. I will try them.

Any comments on Senn 439, hd 280/380?

HD280 is very tight clamp vice fit (owned).

HD380 is good, huge cups, great sound, super comfort also, dont know you will like to wear it for a long time (own).

What is your budget actually ? Isn't HD280/380 above your mentioned budget of <5k.

If you need big cups, start with Sennheiser HD 5XX series.

I have used Sennheiser HD 515 (tried), HD558 (own) these also have big cups.

Sennheiser HD 598, this is the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried but expensive.

@cyber_cat - thanks for reply.
yes my budget is <5k. last week when I searched I have seen senn's 380 for around 7.5, including offers. As I mentioned, in the worst case I can extend the budget. I see 5xx series is more or less 8k+. And more over 5xx series is open back model, which might not be good for me while using them at office cubicles.

Any particular reason why you have mentioned - "dont know you will like to wear it for a long time (own)".

Last edited:
@cyber_cat - thanks for reply.
yes my budget is <5k. last week when I searched I have seen senn's 380 for around 7.5, including offers. As I mentioned, in the worst case I can extend the budget. I see 5xx series is more or less 8k+. And more over 5xx series is open back model, which might not be good for me while using them at office cubicles.

Any particular reason why you have mentioned - "dont know you will like to wear it for a long time (own)".

What I meant by you cannot wear it for a long time is that with studio headphones in order to provide isolation, there will be a bit of clamping force, though HD380s are comfortable in this regard.

There will be a lot of isolation with HD380s is it okay with you, with music on you will be hard pressed to to hear any external sounds.

The HD380 price you have mentioned is a bargain for those headphones since the prices have increased.

Although you have indicated that you do not want on-ear headphones, seems like over-ears are coming beyond of your budget

Have you considered the Klipsch Image Ones ?

They are on-ears but super comfy - very similar to Bose On-Ears - and produce a very nice warm sound. I own both the v1 and the v2s
The v1 is available here at 6k
Klipsch Image ONE Stereo Headphones

There is minimal difference between the v1's and v2's. I think you should seriously consider the v1's

Thanks to both @grunthos and @cyber_cat.

Next month after my exams I will try them in showroom. I will update my purchase details then after.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back