Budget HT+Music, with PC, possible?

shibashis

Hello there,
This is Shibashis, my very first post, happy to be finally doing it!

Before going any further, I must say that I am a 'noob' as noobs go, I am not a genius with physics, and so DIY will not happen for me. That is not to say I am a dumb-head, but physics and electronics are not quite my forte. I can make sense of things if properly explained, but my laziness forbids me from going further :D

I like PCs, I started working at the age of 19, and since then have spent who knows how much on upgrading this and that (graphics card, RAM, Sound Card, speakers, the usual...). I mention this because I am inclined to use my PC as a source of music and watch movies. I appreciate good movies, listen to Blues, classic rock of the bygone era and others (Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Neil Young, Deep Purple, Leonard Cohen, Denver, Cash, Simon and Gurfunkel, Allman Brothers.....and many), with Indian classicals a lot. Sorry to be rambling, but this is a forum of well educated people in the subject, and my question will be regarding what I should purchase, so it is better to provide some idea of what I listen to.

Now, I am not an audiophile, not yet anyway, and quite someway from being one. But I DO appreciate clear and crisp quality audio, and my quest for that has lasted through the last decade and is still continuing. Started with onboard audio, it was an nForce chipset I remember, then bought the Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24 bit card, which to me still is far superior than anything Creative today offers in budget category. My father (an earnest government employee) bought me my first PC, so money was in short supply. Back in 2003 my first speakers were a Mercury 4.1 (I know!), but those sounded good to me then, in anycase they are better than any speaker in the sub 3K category today. Since then I have used variants of Creative inspire series (2.1, and 5.1), Altec Lansing (ATP3, adored the bass, but everything else was disappointing). These days creative have just forgotten how to make quality computer speakers for the masses. Gigaworks T3 is a joke, MX 6021 from AL does not make the cut, and the less we talk of Logitech for music is the better. I am now with Edifier DA 5000 for 2.5 years now. These are better than most in the sub 10K band, they are properly burnt in and to me does offer pretty crisp mids and highs. Has 6" driver in the sub, which is pretty big for cheap computer audio, but the amp is a huge let down. It is under powered, and the feel of appropriate bass is just not there (desperately made aware of the inadequacy when playing tracks like "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen or "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane) These perform admirably with 320Kbps MP3s, I have paired these with Xonar D2X. SQ was a marked improvement, but now I am looking for something more.

I like PCs, as I said before. I know going with a separate amp and FS will be the best for music, but I like to watch movies too. And I want to use the PC as the playback source (Audio, and Video - DVD/Blu Ray/ HD rips). Preference wise I will say Music:Movies = 60:40.
From all of you forum members, I am asking you to help me with a solution around 25K. That is not much to go with I know, but I have to be careful at this juncture and can not really go overboard with the spending. For the sake of movies, I do not wish to sacrifice too much on audio quality, I would still like to utilize my Xonar D2X, I quite love it, and retain a 5.1 setup if possible.

Is there really a solution for me? And if so it is likely to be miraculous in this budget perhaps! But one hopes, and I do so hope from all of you, help me then!
Thanks a ton!
And oh, I am from Kolkata, very impatient and impulsive in nature, hate to wait for things to get shipped, you get the idea :)

Last edited:
PC can play a very active part in your HT Setup, but I will suggest you to go Step by Step, wherein, do not think of upgrading your speakers now but get a Receiver, with a 25K budget you will get a pretty decent AVR OR you can opt for a Stereo Amplifier + FS just for music (I guess models + brands can be suggested by other members), and continue watching movies with the existing Edifier set.

I would recommend saving up more. Only a HTIB (in a limited budget) will give you more bang for buck for movies. Nothing wrong with PC speakers for movies. I have a home theater setup but for the most part I watch movies on my PC on a 22" LCD/LED with Creative 5.1 speakers. I bother with the 50" Plasma and home theater only when playing Blu-rays on the weekends. For the most part I'm perfectly happy with movies on the PC with a Creative 5.1.

Other option is to go for an entry level 2.0 system (amp + speakers) for music. This will definitely improve music SQ over the Edifier and let you enjoy music in more detail. Forum favorites are Wharfedale + Norge. Also, check out HiFiMart.com for more budget options. But having heard Wharfedale + Norge I don't think anything in that budget will beat them. I would recommend Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 + Norge.

Thank you for replying.
My existing Edifiers are powered speakers like all other entry level computer speakers. So they have an Amp built in as it is. Now I actually have been thinking of getting an AVR. Pardon my ignorance, but will I get better output if I run the Xonar's output through the AVR's input and then through to the speakers?
I think yes, but I would like your opinions.

Thanks.

@musicbee
Your advice is solid, I know perfectly well that a separate amp and FS speakers will get me great quality music, but another issue is the space constraint. In my room now there is not space enough to accommodate new additions. That is why I was looking to improve my existing setup. Perhaps by discarding the Edifiers, or adding components maybe. Have not yet decided quite which way to go yet, open to suggestions. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you for replying.
My existing Edifiers are powered speakers like all other entry level computer speakers. So they have an Amp built in as it is. Now I actually have been thinking of getting an AVR. Pardon my ignorance, but will I get better output if I run the Xonar's output through the AVR's input and then through to the speakers?
I think yes, but I would like your opinions.

Thanks.

The Edifiers will be direct from the Asus. You cannot power them via the AVR. First off the wiring will be hard and next I'm sure you'll blow up the Edifier speakers.

AVR (or amp) will be for passive speakers (basically non-PC speakers) and those will need an AVR. Cannot connect passive speakers to PC without an amplifier.

@musicbee
Your advice is solid, I know perfectly well that a separate amp and FS speakers will get me great quality music, but another issue is the space constraint. In my room now there is not space enough to accommodate new additions. That is why I was looking to improve my existing setup. Perhaps by discarding the Edifiers, or adding components maybe. Have not yet decided quite which way to go yet, open to suggestions. Thanks for your reply.

You will get the most gains by improving at the source i.e. 5.1 (or better still DTS movies) and FLAC rips as opposed to MP3 and 2-channel movie rips. Start with that and you will find even Edifier will do a better job for the movies. You can discard Edifier and go for a HTIB (around 25K will get you a good one from Onkyo) and such a HTIB will really boost SQ for movies but not so much for music. You will need to draw a line here... seeing your budget is limited focus on improving SQ for either movies or music. I would say get better quality content and your Edifier will suffice for the time being (till you are able to save more). For now you can focus on improving SQ for music.

Or else focus on improving SQ for movies with a HTIB and start saving up for music. Killing two birds with one stone is not possible even at higher budgets. People always tend to go for 2 different setups for music and movies.

@shibashis... welcome to HFV.
Looking at your budget and preferences, I could only think of HTIBs. They are powerful and compact. I wouldn't ask you to upgrade step-by-step (like starting off with avr+2 speakers and then adding speakers gradually). That route would be very expensive.
Instead you can go ahead with a nice 5.1 system. You can take a look at Onkyo HT-S3200 or Onkyo HT-S3400. I guess 3200 costs around 19-20K and 3400 costs around 27K. I have found the price searching online only. Other forum members would be help you out with street price.

One more think... try to avoid HTIBs from Sony, Samsung, LG etc.

@shibashis

Use the Edifer for movies only and get yourself a Norge+wharfedale 10.1 or 9.1 using this 25k... for a separate stereo music setup.

The benefit you'll see from a dedicated stereo set will vastly surpass what you'll see from your edifier to another 5.1 in the music deptm where as for movies from your edifier to an onkyo s3500 will only add a little more quality.

Wharfdale 9.1 Speaker - Excellent Condition - Kolkata - Electronics - Rajarhat

Take a look at this listing above and try and contact the person if it's still there or take a look at India's audio video home theatre and hi-fi shopping mart for the wharfedales.

There is someone in delhi, a forum member who is selling his norge amplifier for 11k which he didn't use. but you can buy.

16+11 = 27 unless the olx listing works out then it'll be 11+6.5k

+1 for above post.norge amp wharfedale speaker or sonodyne sia amp+sonodyne speakers.
much better sound than a entry level htib set up.

@corElement
You are an absolute lifesaver! I called the guy in the OLX add, and they are still available, although he said there are another couple of people interested in them. I have to beat them to it, I am ready for it!
I must say thanks to you for going through the pains of searching through OLX for me, thanks a lot.

The temptation of a good HT is big, but at the same time it seems to me that after all these years my foray into audiophile grade hardware should not be delayed any longer. I am dreaming about pristine clear music in my room, and this setup that you suggested is just perfect for me. If the deal goes through this will be within my budget, that makes me happier!

The person who was selling the Wharfdale speakers was out of the city and he told me he would be back today and I could possibly audition and buy the speakers. But today he told me that he sold it to his colleague. I was always afraid of this, and it means I am back to square one. too bad. :(

@shibashis

There is someone in delhi, a forum member who is selling his norge amplifier for 11k which he didn't use. but you can buy.

16+11 = 27 unless the olx listing works out then it'll be 11+6.5k

Yeah, Its ME :)

@shibashis
I am having the Norge 1000 lying idle. Its resting inside its box as it is.
Lemme know , if you are interested :)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post :). And I am pretty new to music & Electronics.

I too have the same question that shibashis asked. The criteria is almost same for me(Budget 25K, Using PC as the primary source for the play back of music). 1. My question is that If I go for a stereo amp now for music is it future proof?
2. As per my understanding most of the music is in stereo format now. What would happen to the stereo amp if DTS HD or similar become popular for music too? will that be obsolete?
3.Assume that I purchase an (AVR something like Denon AVR 1311) in future will the stereo amp be obsolete?
4. I have read some very good reviews about some of the bookshelf speakers(room since 14x12). I would assume that If I buy an avr the bookshelf speakers can be reused with it(generally)
Any recommendation on the setup(speaker & amp) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

stereo amp is good,avr is also good.thing is than lower end avr a 20k stereo amp is much bettere for sound.
now if you are happy with stereo sound best option int amp+bookshelf

yes a pair of bookshelfs can be used either witha avr or witha int amp

i will give some import options:

no warf :lack of bass i never liked it.
pc:zotac mini pc:....................10k import
amp tripath topping tp20:.........5k
DAc : odac .............................5k
speakers : tannoy v1................9k used or 12k import

why import ? works cheap,high quality
no paypal? aramex/icc guys will help you

norge starter amp has a elcheapo pre section,i suggest avoid

Dump Edifier like low q china 2.1 items,they are pain in ears.

Lastly Stereo amp is in thing like blue-jeans,always sweet sounding for starter budgets.Most newbies collect AVR coz of fancy lights,i am sure you will not fall in that trap.

Lastly Stereo amp is in thing like blue-jeans,always sweet sounding for starter budgets.Most newbies collect AVR coz of fancy lights,i am sure you will not fall in that trap.

Well, I have not yet been able to go for auditions at my local possibilities in Kolkata, after the Durga Puja I hope I will get some time to do so. So would like to listen to the Wharfes myself before coming to any conclusion. I have been researching this forum extensively for the past month or so, and have compiled a list of probable speakers which I think will be in my budget.
I love blue jeans, meaning I am going to go for the amp :) oh, I love wearing blue denims as well, ok veering away from topic :D

But my budget being limited, can not spend a satisfactory amount on the amp, so importing is a viable option, in fact I have been exploring it little by little. ebay.uk and ebay.de are good options it seems according to the experiences of many forum members.
I was leaning toward the norge amps because of budget constraints, having heard that they are worthy performers in limited budget.

On another note I am leaving for China for about 10 days very soon (work purpose), will it be a good idea if I pick something up if I get it cheap there? I am thinking possibly a good amp if I get lucky. Let me know what your opinions are.

Thanks!

shibashis,
do your tours to shops,its you that will enjoy.
but why i gave that list because in limited budget you will get very limited options
shopkeepers keep speakers that cost 20k+ so that there is good margin.

i would caution you in believing some forum threads that advocate jBL control1/ ca s30
tannoy is way better than these two only thing is, how you can grab these.
Tip: wait for deal like http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tannoy-mercury-v1-bookshelf-speaker-99-99-richer-sounds-1129933

Last edited:

Hi Kaushik,
I don't know if you will be reading this or not, I started this thread back in 2012 when I was looking for my first real setup. After more than an year I have a dedicated stereo setup now for music and was revisiting the thread trying to trace my steps almost. Well...initially I did fall for the fancy lights and bought an AVR for movies and music, grew out of it quickly and bought the Sonodyne amplifier. And now I have paired it with Dali Zensor 1s and I am so very happy. I am mortally scared and am certain that in about 6 months or so I will go back to get another amplifier, because I can make out the Sonodyne's shortcomings.

Just wanted to say thanks for your suggestions back then, they helped me eventually.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back