Budget projector

ItsMe

Hi,

Though on a small scale, I had a home theater setup at my home as below.

Onkyo 3300 5.1 receiver and speaker system (Recommended by hifivision)
Samsung 32" LCD TV (Only chose this small screen due to budget constrains)
Samsung blueray player with internet streaming through LAN
XboX 360
Asus o play mini media player
Videocon D2H Hd 3D

My room size is small - 11 feet x 8 feet.

My family TV - Sony bravia 32" LCD started showing infamous white patch disease after 3 years and became almost un-viewable now. To prevent my kids invading my HT for TV viewing and family to continue their favorite soaps, I had to shift my Samsung from HT to my living room. Now my HT is blinded (or partially blinded) with my half dead Sony bravia.

Sony quoted 12k for panel replacement which I politely refused.

Now my imaginations are tempting me to go for a budget projector, rather than limiting my viewing pleasure to 32" or 40" which I can get from an LED TV. So I started doing some homework and zeroed in on my requirements.

I will mostly be using the HT to watch movies twice or thrice a week, 2-3 hr of gaming or HD TV watching every week. My room, as I said is small - 11' x 8' and has two windows which I am planning to cover using curtains. (I usually watch movies at night, so daytime watching is not a priority for me) Roof is tall, and I cannot afford to use false sealing now. So will have to live with it. Floors are covered with rug. I use a futon (sofa type) to watch, and hence the seating is only 1.5 feet from floor. I am also planning to invest some on curtains and a DIY projector screen.

So the projector should be
Atleast 720p to view HD content/blueray with average brightness to get good movie viewing experience.
Should have HDMI connectivity, as I am using the receiver as my central hub to connect my gadgets, and use HDMI output from receiver to the projector.
Max screen size which I will be able to achieve, due to room size constrains will be around 100". So any option to project beyond this will be a shear waste.
Portability is not a must, as I may not be moving it around.
Should be decently dust proof, as there is no A/C and I have to live with fan.
I will be wall mounting the projector, 11 feet away from the screen, so should have capability to project from that distance.
Not sure on whether I should invest on 3D or not, as my blueray player is not a 3D supporting one. Not sure, what will be the future of 3D, but if it comes, it will be an added benefit, and my kids will appreciate it.
I do have an inverter to support during power failures, but not sure how well a lamp projector will survive without a dedicated UPS. Also frequent bulb changes cannot be afforded. So would like to stick to an LED projector.

I have a budget constrain, and should limit the purchase within 30k, though I am willing to spend couple more grands if there is any fabulous deal available.
Also bringing something from US or getting something shipped from US seems to be risky, as there wont be any warranty on them.

I done some research and here are my options. (Not including Chinese ones which everyone is advocating against)
Egate - P512+ - Rs 26,490/- - ebay - Good price for everything what I need. Seems to be an Indian company, but I found some online comments that they are not good in responding to service support,

LG PB60G - Rs 39,990/- ebay. (Slightly beyond my budget, but this is really tempting). 10000:1 ratio, 500 AL, HDMI, wifi

Viewsonic PLED-W500 - Rs 36,000/- Amazon. - Good one at the brim of my budget.

BenQ GP2 - Rs 34,773/- Snapdeal - Good one but only 200AL

I am really tempted towards LG, as this is something which is covering what ever I need plus it is 3D ready. But its beyond my budget and I may have to sacrifice screen and curtains for the time being, if I go for it.

I am yet to check locally on availability of projectors and price, but I don't think it will be cheaper than buying it online.

I would request you to share your thought on the best option on projector which I should go ahead with. Any other suggestion from your end, or any clarification of any misconception which I have is also welcome.

I have a GP2. Though it throws only 200 lumens, still it manages to project very nicely over 100 inches - since it is a short throw projector. It is now more than an year old and is used regularly - Zero issues touch wood. Although, not written anywhere but have read some reviews claiming that it can do 120 Hz, hence, I think it is 3D ready, with DLP glasses of course.

You can check my year old review here:
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...34326-complete-review-my-benq-joybee-gp2.html

And first demo here:
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/33668-demo-benq-gp2-led-projector.html

Hitachi CP-DX250 is available for Rs30,500. 2500 lm, 2500:1 contr, 1024x768 native, HDMI, 4500 hrs of lamp life, PC 3D ready and display is 0.6" DLP which is one of the best in this segment. Any feedback on Hitachi projectors?

@tintin2k2 - Thank you. Will I get warranty, if I buy from amazon.com using global shipping option?

@tintin2k2 - Thank you. Will I get warranty, if I buy from amazon.com using global shipping option?

Unfortunately you will not get international warrant for major issues but I am sure Amazon.com will provide you adequate coverage if need be.

HTH

Friends.. you all are tempting me to spend 40k+ to go for Acer H5370BD. Added that to the wishlist and will be following for couple of days before I take a call.. I also saw ACER X1320WH in amazon with India warranty at 34,250 (HDMI, 1280x800, 3000:1, 2700 ANSI, PC 3D ready) and ACER P1273 in amazon with India warranty at 35,000 (HDMI, 1024x768, 17000:1, 3000 ANSI, DLP 3D ready ). Along with this, LG PB60G (39k) and Sony VPL-DX100 (32k)are also in queue. Confused to the core.. :)

Last edited:
Using a 1280X800 projector you will be wasting pixels as most of the content is 16:9, you will be using 1280x720 part of 1280X800 resolution so you'll have black bars. Same thing with 1024x768.

You can not go wrong with Acer H5370BD the only downside i came across is it has a high pitch fan which you can here when scenes go silent, but once there is sound you'll not notice it.

Last edited:
Guys,
Can anyone let me know how 3D performance in this Acer H5370BD projector ? can we use active shutter 3d glasses for Acer H5370BD ?
I have a friend who might carry this Acer H5370BD projector. The best price is 450$ in newegg?

Guys,
Can anyone let me know how 3D performance in this Acer H5370BD projector ? can we use active shutter 3d glasses for Acer H5370BD ?
I have a friend who might carry this Acer H5370BD projector. The best price is 450$ in newegg?

The 3D performance is really superb in this projector. Kindly also browse through this thread for more details.. I am using this PJ for my 3D playback via the PS3.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/45046-acer-h5370bd-impressions.html

if you are going to spend $450.. I would suggest purchasing it from Amazon for their lovely customer service... the price is the same there..
Amazon.com: Acer H5370BD 3D Home Theater Projector (White): Electronics

So the search is no ON for Acer H5370BD + a friend who may travel back to India in near future. :) By the way, do we need to purchase a voltage converter to use this projector in India?

So the search is no ON for Acer H5370BD + a friend who may travel back to India in near future. :) By the way, do we need to purchase a voltage converter to use this projector in India?

You do not need a voltage converter for this projector as its confirmed 10A-250V inout in the projector's power socket.

HTH

Friends.. Any owners of Sony VPL-DX100 around? Nnot much reviews are available in the net except some youtube videos

This might not suit you.
I got myself a Philips pico pix 1410 in 2012 March. Sort of a birthday gift to myself. It plays almost all formats that I have played. Reads from my 500 Gb HDD. Takes in RCA inputs. Does almost anything. Its just 30 lumens, so you k cant really enjoy viewing it in a bright room. I was able to watch movies during day time with windows covered though. It cosed me 260 Euros then. You may consider these pico projectors if you are under a budget.

Met a projector expert yesterday, and had some discussions with him. He is in the field for past 15 years or so, and knows in and out of projectors. He is also the regional service dealer for several brands in this area. Most of the advice he gave was already available in this forum, and I sounded a geek in front of him. (Thanks to hifivision :) ) One thing which he shared from his experience was that DLP projectors may not last long in Indian power conditions where voltage will not be always constant. He advised to go for a 3LCD model if possible. The brand he suggested was epson, because of reliability as well as the low cost of lamp replacement. Average lamp cost for base model of epson will be around 6k, which will help to extend the projector usage for 10+ years easily. One model he suggested was EB-X14, which comes around 36k or so. Second choice was an acer one, the model number which I forgot. He also asked to refrain from going to models with too many features, as usually those things will end up in servicing centers often. Panasonic and LG were also in his recommended brands. Somehow he was against brands like viewsonic, benq and sony citing several reasons like viewsonic service is pathetic and benq/sony develops problems too often. I am not blindly swallowing his suggestions, but thought of sharing it with others here as it make some sense for me.

You will need a dedicated power backup/ UPS for abrupt switching off in Indian conditions, I don't know if this is specific for DLP.

One thing which he shared from his experience was that DLP projectors may not last long in Indian power conditions where voltage will not be always constant

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back