Budget Stereo Setup - Rs 25K

amp

Suggestions for a Budget Stereo System - Rs 25,000 (flexible)

I am a newbie who's been doing some research over the past month or so in setting up a "decent" stereo system which will be used primarily for listening to music (80%).

Listening Room:
I will use my 16X10 feet living room to set up the stereo system. Space is a constraint and I would like to have a compact setup. I am currently living on rent and might move in maybe an year or two. Therefore the preference is to have a stop gap arrangement without spending too much.

Music Preference:
The system will be used by everyone in the household and hence should be able to cater to a variety of different music tastes and styles. For example, my mother listens to the radio a lot and prefers old Hindi classics from the 60s and 70s. I prefer to listen to Western Classical, Instrumental, Classic Rock, etc. which are stored on my iPad or Laptop. I would also like to connect my Tata Sky HD Set-top box to improve the SQ on my TV. I am a complete kanjoos looking for full value for money! :)

Source:
FM Radio from mobile phone, iPAd (both for music) and Tata Sky HD.

Amplifier (Budget - 10K to 15K)
I am partial towards the Indian amplifiers (Sonodyne and Norge) as I think they are excellent value for money. I would like to keep the DTH connected to the amplifier at all times and have the option to conveniently attach my iPAD / phone when I would like to listen to music. Therefore, I need a minimum of 2 input sources to the amp I am open to buying used amps from NAD, CA, Marantz etc. I've ruled out the Topping because it has only 1 input. I've also heard some complaints around quality issues like someone got an electric shock upon touching it!

Speakers: (Budget - 10K to 15K)
I am inclined towards the Cambridge Audio S30 due to it's VFM. Haven't got a chance to audition the other budget speakers like JBL Control 1. Does it make sense for me to look for used tower speakers? I noticed a pair of used Energy RC30 for about Rs 21K on the forum with great reviews - it might push up the budget but I can live with it if the SQ will be much better.

Cables: (Budget - ?)
How much do I need to spend on them? Any suggestion for manufacturers etc?

Future Upgrades:
I would like to add a WD Live TV or media player in the future some time to play movies etc. from my laptop.

I understand the forum is full of requests for suggestions for budget systems and that's where I've gotten all the above information from. Just wanted to run my thoughts through the forum members for a sanity check.

Thanks for reading.

cambridge is enough quality for its price..

for cable, i used DAC stereo analouge cables, decent cable for budget price.. i cant find the differences with QED cable..

i cant help regarding budget amp..

-suresh babu

I have Sonodyne SiA310 amp that is well within your budget. It has inputs for CD, Phono, Tuner, Aux in addition to 3.5mm input. It comes with remote control. It has line out also for connecting to a subwoofer or power amp.

Yet an other Budget speaker if you may want to consider is the Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS for approx 10.5K..One advantage is it is front ported.. Beneficial if you want to keep it close to the wall

For cables, don't spend much...MX is a good brand...Excellent VFM cables.. Sometimes you may get the cable with the speaker itself..

You may also check wharfedale diamond 10.1 speakers or dali zensor 1. after discount they should cost about 16.5 to 17k. first do an audition and buy only once satisfied with the sound.

Try getting a second hand marantz/nad, alternatively go for norge/sonodyne.

Regards, Amit

thanks everybody. Will keep your suggestions in mind.

@Amit Kumar : Would you know of any dealers in Mumbai who stock the Dali Zensor 1?

@Elangoas: Sonodyne dealers in Mumbai where I can audition?

@Baijuxavior - Thanks! I saw your post on the classifields section. Will surely keep in mind.

thanks everybody. Will keep your suggestions in mind.

@Amit Kumar : Would you know of any dealers in Mumbai who stock the Dali Zensor 1?

@Elangoas: Sonodyne dealers in Mumbai where I can audition?

@Baijuxavior - Thanks! I saw your post on the classifields section. Will surely keep in mind.

Sonodyne Electronics Co. Pvt. Ltd.
Asian house, Plot no D-7/1, 2nd floor, Road no.16, MIDC, Andheri (E) Mumbai 400093
Tel: +91 22 28353024

Hi,

I am offering my Norge 2060 for sale in Mumbai long with Chord cables. Please see the for sale classifieds if interested.

Thanks

Amp,

You've been getting lots of good suggestions.

One thing to keep in mind is that no matter how good or bad the recommendations are, please do not buy without listening to a setup first.

Each one of our ears are different, and like different sounds. If you are a newbie, you will have to figure out what is the kind of sound that you like.

So my suggestion is - please do not be in a hurry to buy (I know it is difficult to restrain yourself, especially when you have your heart set on buying one ASAP). Try and listen to various systems - being in Mumbai, you have access to a good number of dealers. So hear as much variety of combinations as you can, and then decide on what you like.

Best,
APK

Thanks everybody.

I auditioned at Norge and Bose today. Thought would share my feedback.

Norge Audio - I must compliment Mr. Sam for running a great outfit from Mahim. The staff was very helpful and I must have spent around 30 to 45 minutes auditioning variety of different genres. I tried the Norge Audio 2060 + Norge Millennium BS combination and the sound was pretty good. To give me perspective the staff connected Norge Reference 2000 amplifier as well which sounded more sweet and warm - "tube like". The way I see it is that the only downside to the 2060 is the lack of a remote control. It's possible to connect a remote but it will only be able to control the volume. I am hardly in a position to judge the speakers but they may have been a tad on the brighter side.

I was going through Phoneix Mall (Lower Parel) and just stepped into the Bose showroom for a look. Was surprised to know that they sell passive bookshelf speakers too. Listened to the 301 bookshelfs paired with a Yamaha amplifier. Even this combination sounded good to me - very detailed and clear. I've read that Bose is not a very popular brand among audiophiles but couldn't understand why. The music was pretty good from the speakers and they weren't too expensive as well at Rs 19000. They can't match Norge in terms of price but given what I have heard of Bose, they weren't priced at twice of what they are actually worth!

I tried playing some music (.mp3s) I was carrying on my iPAD at Norge but the results weren't too good. There was a world of difference when they played the same song on a dedicated CD player. Trust me - the sound pressure level, soundstage ..everything was much more grand with a CD player. I may not understand the nuances of music, but can definitely say that the sound volume itself at the same amplifier setting was much louder with the CDP. Does this mean I'll have to budget a bit more for a DVD / CD player now? Would playing music from the iPAD through a DAC help? How much better can it get? According to the salesperson at Norge, the output from the iPAD is "low in volts" and hence the amplifer isn't able to amplify the sound enough.

Any thoughts on the Bose 301? Suggestions for a DAC? Will it be reqiured?

The only reason it sounded better with the CD player is the DAC inside of it. Playing it through a DAC via the digital out is going to give you the same grand feel or even better depending on your choice of DAC.

Amp, have you zeroed in on what you are going to buy? If not then do consider the Sonodyne 1501 BS speakers. Their value for money is rivaled by none really. I was in your position and I picked up these during their January discount offering. I got them for just 9.5K and music wise they are pretty pretty good. If you consider the throw away price, then honestly it is difficult to match their performance. For an amplifier I went for Yamaha RXV 371 receiver, Reliance Digital then was offering them for 19K. I did not wish to miss out on the Video features and so went for a receiver instead of an amplifier, will get a dedicated amplifier in future. Take your time and audition the Sonodynes, I think you will not be disappointed.

Suggestions for a Budget Stereo System - Rs 25,000 (flexible)

I am a newbie who's been doing some research over the past month or so in setting up a "decent" stereo system which will be used primarily for listening to music (80%).

Listening Room:
I will use my 16X10 feet living room to set up the stereo system. Space is a constraint and I would like to have a compact setup. I am currently living on rent and might move in maybe an year or two. Therefore the preference is to have a stop gap arrangement without spending too much.

Music Preference:
The system will be used by everyone in the household and hence should be able to cater to a variety of different music tastes and styles. For example, my mother listens to the radio a lot and prefers old Hindi classics from the 60s and 70s. I prefer to listen to Western Classical, Instrumental, Classic Rock, etc. which are stored on my iPad or Laptop. I would also like to connect my Tata Sky HD Set-top box to improve the SQ on my TV. I am a complete kanjoos looking for full value for money! :)

Source:
FM Radio from mobile phone, iPAd (both for music) and Tata Sky HD.

Amplifier (Budget - 10K to 15K)
I am partial towards the Indian amplifiers (Sonodyne and Norge) as I think they are excellent value for money. I would like to keep the DTH connected to the amplifier at all times and have the option to conveniently attach my iPAD / phone when I would like to listen to music. Therefore, I need a minimum of 2 input sources to the amp I am open to buying used amps from NAD, CA, Marantz etc. I've ruled out the Topping because it has only 1 input. I've also heard some complaints around quality issues like someone got an electric shock upon touching it!

Speakers: (Budget - 10K to 15K)
I am inclined towards the Cambridge Audio S30 due to it's VFM. Haven't got a chance to audition the other budget speakers like JBL Control 1. Does it make sense for me to look for used tower speakers? I noticed a pair of used Energy RC30 for about Rs 21K on the forum with great reviews - it might push up the budget but I can live with it if the SQ will be much better.

Cables: (Budget - ?)
How much do I need to spend on them? Any suggestion for manufacturers etc?

Future Upgrades:
I would like to add a WD Live TV or media player in the future some time to play movies etc. from my laptop.

I understand the forum is full of requests for suggestions for budget systems and that's where I've gotten all the above information from. Just wanted to run my thoughts through the forum members for a sanity check.

Thanks for reading.

jamo hcs 426 five speakers for 21000in Reliance . jamo dealers quote 25-26000. but for the two towers 426 jamo in delhi quoted Rs 16000. sound is good for music, Ask FM baijuxavier how it would go with his sonodyne which is on sale. this would be within ur budget

Sonodyne/Norge for Amp, MX for cables / interconnects, Sonodyne/Cambridge Audio for speakers.

May I suggest you add a budget CD player to complete the system? CA Topaz 5 should come at around 13k, not much of a budget increase. An ocean of difference to TATA Sky or IPad or FM as source IMHO.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back