Budget Sub under 15K or used JAMO SUB250

Get2Ricky

As i am tight on budget please suggest me a good sub with (deep, chest thumping bass in movies) under 15K. As the topic says i have an eye on used JAMO sub 250 which i can get under 15K after a bargain. Is this the best option or any other sub in this range will do?

My current system:

1. Yamaha AVR HTR 3067
2. Yamaha NS-8390 Floor standing speakers (PAIR) - Front Left and Right
3. Yamaha NS-P150 for surrounds and center.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

I am not sure if your budget is going to get you a new 'chest thumping bass' sub.The used market is of course a lucrative place to search. Get a sub once the budget permits rather than getting something for the time being.

Last edited:
The ve increased the price of the Thonet & Vander to 24,500 from 15,500 on Amazon.in

Thonet sw10 looks impressive if price was 15k INR, Amazon.com price is still 149USD, though they are not shipping to India. Not sure folks who have it, they bought from amazon US or India?

Guys - am i the only one that is bothered that we are considering buying a hitherto unheard of brand, based on maybe a single review, without auditioning, just because the price is low? Ever heard of penny stocks?

I saw the Yamaha SW012 on Infibeam for less than 10k. Reviews seem to be good. Never heard it personally though.

The ve increased the price of the Thonet & Vander to 24,500 from 15,500 on Amazon.in

This sudden steep increase in the price after hot discussion in this forum in other threads devoted to this sub leads me to wonder what is behind the increase?

steep increase in the price is not unusual, particularly when the sub is not being sold by Amazon itself. You may keep an eye the price will definitely fluctuate in few weeks time....

Ooops.........am I being lucky now.....must see when it is delivered. Currently the product being shipped. Fingers crossed. Hope it is a good deal for me.

I am not sure if your budget is going to get you a new 'chest thumping bass' sub.The used market is of course a lucrative place to search. Get a sub once the budget permits rather than getting something for the time being.

Yeah i am gonna wait, save more and finally get SVS in coming months.

Guys - am i the only one that is bothered that we are considering buying a hitherto unheard of brand, based on maybe a single review, without auditioning, just because the price is low? Ever heard of penny stocks?

I completely agree,the review is from my point of view and i don't expect anyone to buy it without hearing them first.I still enjoy this subwoofer and can't even think of going back to listening to music without it,please keep the expectations in check and don't expect your chairs to move,for 15k you get a subwoofer with decent build quality and audio,unless anyone can show me a sub with same quality at this pricepoint I think this is the best value sub available right now.

Last edited:
To reiterate, adding a sub can make or break an audio system.
Mostly, when people are looking to buy a sub to add to their rig for the first time, what they are basically looking for is more "viscerality" in their music/movies/media.
Adding a cheap sub is the easiest way to do this but it has its caveats. Not only are cheaper subs blatantly inaccurate, they often lead to unnecessary bass loading or boominess in the sound. Such subs provide you low end oomph at the expense of quality and what you end up with is mashed potatoes instead of french fries.
However, the biggest problem in using such subs is their inability to synchronise or "melt" into the system. Anyone with a critical ear can easily make out something vibrating in the corner of the room (or wherever you have placed the sub). This effect is generally compounded when such subs are used in a stereo only system.
My personal advise would be to go for a good sub rather than a cheap one. Unfortunately good subs aren't cheap (none that I know of at least). The sub in question looks nice but I would doubt what a "german" manufacturer can give you for 15k while having their subs made in china. I would take all the positive reviews with a pinch of salt before auditioning and more importantly buying; no matter how lucrative the price.
Unless the system is mostly (>80%) used for movies; I would suggest the OP to save the money for a upgrading to a better AVR/ Invest in a quality DAC or transport with multiple inputs / better interconnects , etc; rather than spending in a cheap sub. One could also try repositioning the speakers to get bass support from the walls: very underrated fix if you ask me.
Hope this helps! :)

To reiterate, adding a sub can make or break an audio system.
Mostly, when people are looking to buy a sub to add to their rig for the first time, what they are basically looking for is more "viscerality" in their music/movies/media.
Adding a cheap sub is the easiest way to do this but it has its caveats. Not only are cheaper subs blatantly inaccurate, they often lead to unnecessary bass loading or boominess in the sound. Such subs provide you low end oomph at the expense of quality and what you end up with is mashed potatoes instead of french fries.
However, the biggest problem in using such subs is their inability to synchronise or "melt" into the system. Anyone with a critical ear can easily make out something vibrating in the corner of the room (or wherever you have placed the sub). This effect is generally compounded when such subs are used in a stereo only system.
My personal advise would be to go for a good sub rather than a cheap one. Unfortunately good subs aren't cheap (none that I know of at least). The sub in question looks nice but I would doubt what a "german" manufacturer can give you for 15k while having their subs made in china. I would take all the positive reviews with a pinch of salt before auditioning and more importantly buying; no matter how lucrative the price.
Unless the system is mostly (>80%) used for movies; I would suggest the OP to save the money for a upgrading to a better AVR/ Invest in a quality DAC or transport with multiple inputs / better interconnects , etc; rather than spending in a cheap sub. One could also try repositioning the speakers to get bass support from the walls: very underrated fix if you ask me.
Hope this helps! :)

Thank you :p , idea dropped of getting a cheaper SUB and now i have finally decided to get SVS pb 1000 in next 15 days :D, starting a new thread based on this as i need few more inputs before i invest 45K of this beast. lol

Thank you :p , idea dropped of getting a cheaper SUB and now i have finally decided to get SVS pb 1000 in next 15 days :D, starting a new thread based on this as i need few more inputs before i invest 45K of this beast. lol

You're most welcome! Keep us posted. A review with some pics would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back