Budget Sub Woofer

amitnigam2809

Dear Friends,

I am using Yamaha RXV-481 with BA A26 and very satisfied with the overall performance. Now I am looking to have a sub woofer in price range of Rs. 15000/-. Room size is 18x10 where I will be placing the sub.

After reading and searching our forum, I found Taga TSW-90 and Polk PSW 110 are the most recommended budget sub woofers.

Although I found lots of good reviews for Yamaha sub woofers on internet but very few here in our forum. Yamaha YST-SW012, SW-030, SW-216, NS-SW-50, etc.

What is the reason that Yamaha sub woofers are not so popular here? Frequency response of budget sub woofers of Yamaha is also better than other budget sub woofers.

Thanks
Amit Nigam

Dear Friends,

I am using Yamaha RXV-481 with BA A26 and very satisfied with the overall performance. Now I am looking to have a sub woofer in price range of Rs. 15000/-. Room size is 18x10 where I will be placing the sub.

After reading and searching our forum, I found Taga TSW-90 and Polk PSW 110 are the most recommended budget sub woofers.

Although I found lots of good reviews for Yamaha sub woofers on internet but very few here in our forum. Yamaha YST-SW012, SW-030, SW-216, NS-SW-50, etc.

What is the reason that Yamaha sub woofers are not so popular here? Frequency response of budget sub woofers of Yamaha is also better than other budget sub woofers.

Thanks
Amit Nigam

Based on your existing setup (BA26) you need a subwoofer with 10" above driver since BA26 has 6.5" woofer, My suggestion is go for Taga tsw200, it has 12" driver. Taga sw10 v2 is another choice (price wary below 2K). I have the same setup that A26 are Front channel, Taga 606 se are for surrounding channel. I did lot of research, changed 2 sub and finally found good sub woofer i.e. Taga tsw 200 which sync with the system and gives very deep bass.

Hope it gives you some idea.

Thanks

Simple.. Brand following.. SVS, Velodyne, Polk are big names in the subwoofer market.. Anyone who has a sizable budget stick to big brands..

If you are unable to find a sub from these brands in your budget, pick it from not so popular brands in your budget..

I had budget of 50K, wanted to get dual subs..So skipped the popular brands & picked Taga Harmony platinum SW v10.2 simply for the price..

Based on your existing setup (BA26) you need a subwoofer with 10" above driver since BA26 has 6.5" woofer, My suggestion is go for Taga tsw200, it has 12" driver. Taga sw10 v2 is another choice (price wary below 2K). I have the same setup that A26 are Front channel, Taga 606 se are for surrounding channel. I did lot of research, changed 2 sub and finally found good sub woofer i.e. Taga tsw 200 which sync with the system and gives very deep bass.

Hope it gives you some idea.

Thanks

Thanks. Taga TSW 200 is indeed a good sub but it's above my budget. Also I think it be an overkill for me and my neighbors. I live in an apartment that just have a 4 inch thick wall between adjoining flats.

Last edited:
Simple.. Brand following.. SVS, Velodyne, Polk are big names in the subwoofer market.. Anyone who has a sizable budget stick to big brands..

If you are unable to find a sub from these brands in your budget, pick it from not so popular brands in your budget..

I had budget of 50K, wanted to get dual subs..So skipped the popular brands & picked Taga Harmony platinum SW v10.2 simply for the price..

This indeed is a good suggestion to avoid more confusion.:)

@ amitnigam2809

If you have a powerful sub, it does not mean you need to crank the volume to high to cause noise pollution or disturbance to neighbours....

It is better to have a powerful sub where you can moderately use the volume levels and enjoy quality playback rather than cranking it high and enjoy jarring sound.

If you feel Yamaha subs appeal to your requirements and budget, you can go ahead with the same....ensure that whichever sub you go for produces more lower frequencies than the BA26....no point going for a sub which just makes a 5hz to 10hz low freq difference than what you are already experiencing ....

If budget is a challenge, you can look for pre owned subs....

All the best

@ amitnigam2809

If you have a powerful sub, it does not mean you need to crank the volume to high to cause noise pollution or disturbance to neighbours....

It is better to have a powerful sub where you can moderately use the volume levels and enjoy quality playback rather than cranking it high and enjoy jarring sound.

If you feel Yamaha subs appeal to your requirements and budget, you can go ahead with the same....ensure that whichever sub you go for produces more lower frequencies than the BA26....no point going for a sub which just makes a 5hz to 10hz low freq difference than what you are already experiencing ....

If budget is a challenge, you can look for pre owned subs....

All the best
I agree that a powerful sub used with moderate volumes is better but it will surely costs a lot more in terms of price.

Yamaha Subs are appealing me because they can go below 30Hz in the budget producing very tight bass, but there budget subs dont have much power. I am not sure that Yamaha YST-SW030(8 inch, 70 watts, 28Hz) or YST-SW0216(10 inch, 50 watts, 25Hz) will be enough for my room size 18x10.

Earlier, I was more inclined towards Polk PSW-110, but after going through the specs(not below than 32Hz) I stopped thinking about it. Same is with Taga TSW-90.

I agree that a powerful sub used with moderate volumes is better but it will surely costs a lot more in terms of price.

Yamaha Subs are appealing me because they can go below 30Hz in the budget producing very tight bass, but there budget subs dont have much power. I am not sure that Yamaha YST-SW030(8 inch, 70 watts, 28Hz) or YST-SW0216(10 inch, 50 watts, 25Hz) will be enough for my room size 18x10.

50W watts power for a 10 inch driver seems short for your room size IMO.. Try to audition them if you can once & then you will get a fair idea..

Earlier, I was more inclined towards Polk PSW-110, but after going through the specs(not below than 32Hz) I stopped thinking about it. Same is with Taga TSW-90.

If you can bump your budget by 5K, then 20K you can get the Taga (or) Polk..

When i was on subwoofer hunt, one thing that i learnt is not to take manufacturer published specs seriously...

50W watts power for a 10 inch driver seems short for your room size IMO.. Try to audition them if you can once & then you will get a fair idea..

If you can bump your budget by 5K, then 20K you can get the Taga (or) Polk..

When i was on subwoofer hunt, one thing that i learnt is not to take manufacturer published specs seriously...

I can bump by 5K but I am not very much sure about Taga. Taga TSW120(22K INR) is good in terms of specs but still very few people are going towards it.

How is Taga in terms of complaints, issues and after sales service?

I can bump by 5K but I am not very much sure about Taga. Taga TSW120(22K INR) is good in terms of specs but still very few people are going towards it.

Post you query in Taga harmony thread and someone who owns the model, will provide feedback..

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/66745-taga-harmony-owners-thread.html

How is Taga in terms of complaints, issues and after sales service?

I have used taga subs (Platinum SW v10.2) for abt 8 months time now.. As far as build quality is concerned, am happy.. No issues.. Service is also good in my city (Chennai).. But few FM weren't happy with the product they received as they had some cosmetic issues..

Dear Friends,

Thanks
Amit Nigam

If you are interested,
YAMAHA 100 Watts Active Sub Woofer NS-SW050 (Black) only 3 months old is available for sale if your budget is only concern. But it's not recommended.

Post you query in Taga harmony thread and someone who owns the model, will provide feedback..

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/66745-taga-harmony-owners-thread.html

I have used taga subs (Platinum SW v10.2) for abt 8 months time now.. As far as build quality is concerned, am happy.. No issues.. Service is also good in my city (Chennai).. But few FM weren't happy with the product they received as they had some cosmetic issues..

Yeah, some members had cosmetic issues. Someone had some noise or humming issue too. That makes me doubtful about the QC process of Taga.

Thanks for the Taga thread link.

If you are interested,
YAMAHA 100 Watts Active Sub Woofer NS-SW050 (Black) only 3 months old is available for sale if your budget is only concern. But it's not recommended.

You are right. I think it will not be able to fill the room with bass.

Although I auditioned SW-012 few months ago and I was pretty much impressed by the tight bass. But the audition room was only 10x10.

Why you are not using SW050? Did you faced any problem?

Yeah, some members had cosmetic issues. Someone had some noise or humming issue too. That makes me doubtful about the QC process of Taga.

Of the dual subs i have, one developed issue.. The other is fine.. I had corrected the issue with service center.. Probably there are more people who own the sub, but had no issues..

Anyways, it is your take..

How are BIC America Subs....V80 and V1220 or F12?

Below is the link I am sharing for BIC America Subs sold in India.

https://proaudiohome.com/c/speakers/subwoofers/catMjE4XzI0Ng/

Yamaha would be better than Venturi V-80 Down Firing Powered 8 inch 100-Wat.

BIC America Venturi V1220 looks good, RMS is 200W and peak 430W as per spec looks good. I don't know much about this product. better you go for audition or check reviews if there are any available.

I too was looking for a budget subwoofer under 20k.Confused with Taga TSW-90, Pioneer S-51W, Mission MS-200 and Yamaha NSW050/100. So I contacted Jamsticks to enquire about available subwoofers and they suggested better to go for Taga 90 as it is a new model with better BASS reproductions at this price level. I am unable to stretch my budget so thought to go for this. Any suggestions please.

[b]i dont know why but their is some serious problem in sw 10 taga harmony i think their whole batch is faulty of sw10 as i purchased it was giving some diisortion noise sent to service center got it repaired but founded the bass is less earlier also it was less within purchase of 7 days i faced so many troubles till now the bass is less so many settings told by fellow members callibration change of wire everything neighter their service centre is intrested i am fed up now till now i cant get any result
[/b]

I think Taga is good in terms of pricing but quality is still questionable. They are still new in market and will take some time to get established with strong hold.

Maybe Taga will be a best option after few more years.:confused:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back