Budget Turntable Audio Technica AT LP60 - Impressed with the sound

Vinay2013

Background: I was looking for a budget turntable from some time. I did not want to go the vintage way due to obvious reasons. I came across Lenco, Denon DP29F and some Crossly turntables which I did not like at all since neither they were good looking nor they were good sounding. So I decided a blind buy based on positive reviews and you tube demonstrations. But the prices were ridiculously high in some local online stores 15k or even 20K finally come across a site called shopperbay.in where it was listed for around 9.2k landed. So I ordered it. It was a painful waiting period because for the next 5 days I did not get any update on shipping except that order is processing. Finally it arrived after 9 the day (Yesterday). Meanwhile I had already arranged a converter (220v to 120V) and two LPs. Surprisingly I could not find a single LP in any of the music stores at Gurgaon.

Unboxing and First impression: It was neatly packed and I had to make extra effort to open it. It was not fully assembled and belt, platter etc needed little assembly before it is ready to sing. I did it easily with the help of manual. Finally I put a record Marasim (Jagjit Singh) on it. I did not have the phonostage so I used the inbuilt phono via switch in the backside. Before pushing the start button I had several thoughts in my mind it, what will I do if converter won't work, if something happened internally during transit etc. But finally I pushed the start button. Tone arm was slightly moved upwards and moved slowly and sit to the corner of record and music of the first track started. I was expecting popping, ticking sound but the sound which came through the speakers was crystal clear pure music. I had connected it with dirt cheap Lepai 2020a amp and Monitor Audio BR1 bookshelf speakers. I could not believe my ears that a budget turntable could sound so beautifully. Music was crystal clear. I listen the whole album with increased volume twice and thrice but did not feel ear fatigue. It was one of the best experience of my life. Also tried Norah Jones record "Come away with me" and amazed with the sound. I am not into that kind of music but I equally enjoyed the whole album. The turn table was occupied from 6 PM to midnight replacing Jagjit Singh and Norah Jones.

Overall very happy with the purchase and now hunting for more LPs. I would never have bought a turntable if I were not a member of this esteemed forum. Thanks to all the Esteemed FMs who directly or indirectly helped me to take this decision.

Thank you for reading through and to bear my bad English. Happy to answer if anyone has any questions.

Cheers
Vinay

Congratulations on this and welcome to the Vinyl Club.

What is important here is that you are loving this setup and that's what matters.

And yes, lots of photos please.

Cheers...

Thank you RP Sir. You, Reuben Sir and Kuruvila Sir are the true inspiration due to that I could start this journey. I read each and every post of yours to the extent possible.

R, Vinay

Few pics: If anybody wants pics of any specific portion, i will try to post it :) IMHO from no angle it looks like a budget turntable :)

29ld63r.jpg

282mfdl.jpg

6s9nrq.jpg

2u5q0pl.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Vinay!

Now you can slowly start building your set-up with a good phono stage, nice amp and most importantly, lots of records. Btw, 'Marasim' is a fine LP. I listen to mine often. Happy vinyl journey!

Thanks Naren - Appreciate your help in shortlisting this beautiful TT. As of now inbuilt phonostage seems great and I am happy with it. Yes I desperately need a number of LPs now.

R, Vinay

Congratulations and welcome to the world of vinyl. Your turntable looks slick. Its the best looking turntable in its class, that I have ever seen. Great going!!

Don't forget to update your signature :)

Congratulations and welcome to the world of vinyl. Your turntable looks slick. Its the best looking turntable in its class, that I have ever seen. Great going!!

Don't forget to update your signature :)

Thanks a lot Sir. You are doing a great job teaching uneducated people like me providing confidence that if something goes wrong, you are always there to help. I am a regular reader of your informative posts.

Best regards,
Vinay

my 2 cents.

Once bitten by the Turntable bug, many keep worrying about upgrading the TT and forget about collecting good LPs

Now that you have a TT which you are very happy with, focus on building a collection of LPs. Just like with your TT purchase, give it some thought and be patient. There are new and pre-used options available. Happy hunting!!

my 2 cents.

Once bitten by the Turntable bug, many keep worrying about upgrading the TT and forget about collecting good LPs

Now that you have a TT which you are very happy with, focus on building a collection of LPs. Just like with your TT purchase, give it some thought and be patient. There are new and pre-used options available. Happy hunting!!

Thank you. Yes now I am focusing on collecting LPs. As per manual, cartridge will last for 400 hrs so no plans to upgrade until then :). Just ordered a vinyl of "1942 A Love Story". It was not available at any local store, Flipkart and Amazon but found somewhere. Now fingers crossed to get it in good condition.

The cartridge will not wear out after 400 hours. Cartridges will last for many many years, if handled carefully. It is the stylus (needle) that would need to be carefully detatched from the cartridge and replaced once it wears out. Usually manufacturers give a conservative indication on the life span of the stylus (400 hours in your case). However if you use your turntable carefully, play only clean records, keep the stylus clean by using the correct cleaning methods, etc, the stylus will last longer. Once it wears off, it is not required to replace the entire cartridge. The replacement stylus for your turntable is Audio Technica Replacement Stylus ATN3600L. You can easily buy this online when the time comes.

Buying records online is convenient but can be a hit-or-miss affair. Amazon and Flipkart have a returns policy and hence is safer. Now that you are making a start by getting new records, I think you should also get yourself a good magnifying glass (a smaller version of the type Sherlock Holms used :) ) and take a closer look at the record grooves. Get a feel of how the grooves look and how dust or debris looks when on the grooves. This education is important for a person who is planning to start a LP record collection. In all probability, you will soon stop buying new records and start looking at pre-used ones. The ability to check the grooves will help you select good pre-used records which do not have groove damage. This would be very helpful if you plan to shop in old Delhi's streets for old records.

Last edited:
A good page-turner !! Enjoyed reading it.

Thank you Simon. Actually I had written a very long and detailed post including how I joined the forum and background but since my computer was working slow, I simultaneously was cleaning up the disk. Due to that, by the time I finished writing and posted it, I was logged out :mad: and could not retrieve the content.

So next time when I wrote it, I directly came to the point. God saved the FMs to read such a long and boring post;)

The cartridge will not wear out after 400 hours. Cartridges will last for many many years, if handled carefully. It is the stylus (needle) that would need to be carefully detatched from the cartridge and replaced once it wears out. Usually manufacturers give a conservative indication on the life span of the stylus (400 hours in your case). However if you use your turntable carefully, play only clean records, keep the stylus clean by using the correct cleaning methods, etc, the stylus will last longer. Once it wears off, it is not required to replace the entire cartridge. The replacement stylus for your turntable is Audio Technica Replacement Stylus ATN3600L. You can easily buy this online when the time comes.

Oops. Yes I meant stylus (needle). Thanks for correcting me.

Buying records online is convenient but can be a hit-or-miss affair. Amazon and Flipkart have a returns policy and hence is safer. Now that you are making a start by getting new records, I think you should also get yourself a good magnifying glass (a smaller version of the type Sherlock Holms used :) ) and take a closer look at the record grooves. Get a feel of how the grooves look and how dust or debris looks when on the grooves. This education is important for a person who is planning to start a LP record collection. In all probability, you will soon stop buying new records and start looking at pre-used ones. The ability to check the grooves will help you select good pre-used records which do not have groove damage. This would be very helpful if you plan to shop in old Delhi's streets for old records.

Wow. That is a great advice. Thanks again. I will certainly try. I was thinking to visit old Delhi this weekend (How did you predict this in advance), but won't it look weird when I go and inspect the records with a magnifying glass?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back