Buffer/DAC/-cd player suggestions

MohanK

Hi all posting this as new thread for more visibility.

I bought a Norge 1000 and wharf 220. Current source is laptop and mobile connected via a 3.5 mm to RCA cable. Sometimes can here kind of krik krik noice.

So requires a device in between, please help with suggestions if its should be a DAC or tube buffer or things like that. Not of a high cost, below 10 k. Thanks

I bought a Norge 1000 and wharf 220. Current source is laptop and mobile connected via a 3.5 mm to RCA cable. Sometimes can here kind of krik krik noice.

So requires a device in between, please help with suggestions if its should be a DAC or tube buffer or things like that. Not of a high cost, below 10 k. Thanks

That is the worst source to have after investing in decent gear down the chain. If budget is a constrain, get the Chromecast Audio or look at a good DAC. The minimum I would recommend is Schiit Modi.

If you dont use Hi-Res media files You can look at Asus Xonar U3 to connect to your laptop. Very good for the price. You might get it cheaper in your local computer stores. For mobile, get a Chromecast.
As fm Shinto pointed out, the Behringer uca202 is a viable option, has good reviews. I have not personally used it.

If you are more into playing files than physical cds raspberry pi with a i2s dac will be a good option. A raspberry pi is 2.6k and pi dac from aliexpress is 1.2k , and it sounds cool

If you dont use Hi-Res media files You can look at Asus Xonar U3 to connect to your laptop. Very good for the price. You might get it cheaper in your local computer stores. For mobile, get a Chromecast.
As fm Shinto pointed out, the Behringer uca202 is a viable option, has good reviews. I have not personally used it.
Do chromcast have a line out?

It has both line out and toslink out from the same 3.5mm output.

During setup, you need to enable dynamic range in the settings.

You will get even better results, a much darker background when you power it with a battery bank. It needs very low power so battery drain will be low

Do chromcast have a line out?
The best option is tube buffer. Unlimited shelf life and varied usage possibilities vs limited shelf life and limited usage possibilities of DACs.
Buffer, when required can be rapaired.
Choice is your's.

It is a hybrid. Tread with caution. You already have an integrated amp, all you need is a source. Buffer etc. can come later, First finalize how you want play your music files, off a hard disk, from online source and or fixed source like CD player.

Chromecast is a very good place to start as it is cheap and offers all the source solution at a very good quality.
In between stuff like buffer etc can be added later.

I am not pushing Chromecast, just giving you an option of source. Just get your priorities in place.

I agree, CCA is better starting point at less than half your budget.

I believe you will settle with CCA for some time before the upgrade bug bits you. Never ending you know.

Yes, this is a very good buffer, I have one for a pretty long time, no problem till now. Some people are of the opinion, that stock power supply adapter does not last long, and needs replacement within a month or two, but I have not faced any such problems, but again all my audio equipments are connected to the mains, only through servo and isolation, never directly.

Yes, this is a very good buffer, I have one for a pretty long time, no problem till now. Some people are of the opinion, that stock power supply adapter does not last long, and needs replacement within a month or two, but I have not faced any such problems, but again all my audio equipments are connected to the mains, only through servo and isolation, never directly.
Doesn't having two sets of volume control make things a bit dicey? I am assuming that because the ad says it's a tube preamp. Excuse my ignorance, I don't use tubes.

Doesn't having two sets of volume control make things a bit dicey? I am assuming that because the ad says it's a tube preamp. Excuse my ignorance, I don't use tubes.
It can act as a preamp for an emergency/ temporary situation where one's preamp has gone bad, since it has a volume control, but more precisely, it's a buffer and does not do any preamplification like a preamp. So having two volume controls, say one of the buffer and the other of the amp, will not be a problem. But you if put another preamp in the chain, then two volume controls may create problems, and may also degrade the sound.
Certain CD players/ digital media players in the high end segment, are adding this concept of tube buffers in their output stage.

It can act as a preamp for an emergency/ temporary situation where one's preamp has gone bad, since it has a volume control, but more precisely, it's a buffer and does not do any preamplification like a preamp. So having two volume controls, say one of the buffer and the other of the amp, will not be a problem. But you if put another preamp in the chain, then two volume controls may create problems, and may also degrade the sound.
Certain CD players/ digital media players in the high end segment, are adding this concept of tube buffers in their output stage.

It very much employs a solid state preamp stage after the input signal passes through the tubes and it is not defeatable.
that is why it is a hybrid and not a pure buffer.
Its input sensitivity is 300mv to 2 volts and the maxes out at 3 volts.
I used it for a short period. It is very good for the price, but the chinese 6J1 tubes that come with it are horrible.
The midrange and highs have too much glare with stock tubes even after burn in (actually gets worse as the tubes are not matched, there is a clear imbalance after over a few hundred hours).
But after you switch tubes to the numerous 6J1 NOS available it is a different beast.

But still the preamp section is its Achilles Heel, but at that price you cannot ask for anything better.
The best solution is to change the stock tubes and match your preamp volume for zero gain position on the buffer and then use the preamp as your main volume control.

1.that is why it is a hybrid and not a pure buffer.
2.But after you switch tubes to the numerous 6J1 NOS available it is a different beast.
3.The midrange and highs have too much glare with stock tubes even after burn in
4.match your preamp volume for zero gain position on the buffer and then use the preamp as your main volume control.
1.Yes, it's a hybrid and serves very well.

2.Changing to better tubes certainly makes it a different beast.

3. I have not faced any glare in the midrange and highs, it all depends upon the entire chain, including interconnects.

4.Yes, preamp volume control of amplifier should be the main control.

This buffer's preamp section can be modified for still better results, or there are better buffers at higher price ranges or can be made in the DIY route.

I have not faced any glare in the midrange and highs, it all depends upon the entire chain, including interconnects.

Probably, but I use good quality Belden interconnects (Blue Jeans) and the speaker cables are Klotz. Sadly the stock tubes did not work for me at all.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back