Build/buy HTPC with Bluray (3D)

raghumailbox

Hi Friends,

I am back here after a long time.

I have an urgent requirement for an simple HTPC. My requirement is to play downloaded videos or Bluray discs (including 3D). Output is 3D Pana TV and 3D optoma projector.

I got an good idea of HTPC by going through most of the threads, especially SAM's.

Currently, i am using PS3 and my laptop to do this work and you all know the kind of formats pS3 plays.

I have a 3TB internal Seagate HDD.
I am bit confused about the 1.4a HDMI output on the motherboards.
Looking for a slim htpc which doesn't occupy more space.

Also, suggest me a store in Bangalore who can make this for me.

Raghu

Motherboard : intel or AMD
Processor :
Cabinet : Slim?
Graphics card : Shoudl i need it?
HDD : Existing 3TB
RAM : 4GB
Remote : ???

I have a slim PC for sale here "http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/59238-foxconn-intel-atom-barebones-pc-4gb-ram.html. It does not include a bluray driver but is a fanless PC. With XBMC it should make a good HTPC with just a 2.5" HDD or going with Openelec (Linux based XBMC) then just a pendrive with this OS will do. Let me know if this interests you. I was using this PC predominantly for music only purpose and upgraded the system hence the sale.

Thanks

Whats your budget ...main thing ?

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Processor : something like Intel i3 3220
Cabinet : Slim? Any Micro-ATX
Graphics card : Yes for 3D highly recomended : GT440 or GT630 both are same
RAM : 4GB .. enough
Remote : Android Yatse

Purchased the following -

Motherboard : Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2
Processor : AMD A-Series
Cabinet : Slim Zebronics Entice
RAM : 4GBx1 Transed
SSD - Scandisk 120GB

Currently installed Win8.1

Looks good except the SSD, that too 128 GB, just for running Kodi? Better to channel the funds towards a good GPU since 3D is of priority to you.

Hi Sam,
Yes, I also had the same feel on the SSD.
I would like to go for a GPU some time after.

Look for an chepo remote, please suggest.
Came across this in eBay -http://www.ebay.in/itm/USB-IR-Multimedia-PC-Laptop-Remote-Controller-With-USB-Reciever-for-Windows-/252037311504?hash=item3aae982c10

But it has too many buttons which make the operation complicated.

I dont have much experience on IR multimedia remotes, some other FM might chip in to suggest .... I always have used my android phone to control everything in my Home Theater ...... For XBMC, Yatse is the best Android Remote out there .....

Hi Sam,

For GPU I would like to suggest you to go for GTX series (GTX750Ti) rather than GT series. Because GTX series GPU render 3D more seamlessly. And moreover GTX series cards supports 24p@120hz or 24p@144hz.

I think I have to first sale my PS3 for Bluray drive and GPU funding.
GTX looks too expensive. My motherboard says it can render 3D still haven't tried.

Pioneer BDR-208DBK is not available in India, will have to look for someone returning from US.

For GPU I would like to suggest you to go for GTX series (GTX750Ti) rather than GT series. Because GTX series GPU render 3D more seamlessly. And moreover GTX series cards supports 24p@120hz or 24p@144hz.

GT630 supports 24p@120hz,the max it can go it 240Hz. Its not the GPU that needs to be of some concern, its the display you are connecting the GPU to.
GT440/630 also play 3D seamlessly and as smooth as it can.

No GPU fan noise is not that loud that it can cause any disturbance, in that sense the cabinet will also have fans. Just make sure the case fans are of high quality.

Intel I3-4150 @ 3.5 GHZ (Intel HD Graphics 4400) - Rs 7644/- on snapdeal
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/intel-core-i34150-processor/1888813786

B85 Chipset Motherboard
Make sure the motherboard supports HDMI- CEC or something equivalent. This will enable you to use you LED / LCD remote while to cotrol the computer for simple function like play, rew, ff etc.
My Intel DH67BL does not support it and I really miss this feature

SMPS - Coolermaster / Corsair (Go for a branded one. This really cuts down on the noise)

(Optional) Coolermaster Heat Sink and Fan

If you want something really compact only for HTPC you can even try the Raspberry

Raspberry Pi 2 - MODB - 1GB - Quad core around Rs 2900/-
Amazon.in: Buy Raspberry Pi 2 - MODB - 1GB - Quad core Online at Low Prices in India | Raspberry Pi Reviews & Ratings

You would need to add a case, power adaptor (5 Volts 2 AMPS) and a Class 10 SD Card

All the best

Hi Sam,
Yes, I also had the same feel on the SSD.

Look for an chepo remote, please suggest.
Came across this in eBay -http://www.ebay.in/itm/USB-IR-Multimedia-PC-Laptop-Remote-Controller-With-USB-Reciever-for-Windows-/252037311504?hash=item3aae982c10

But it has too many buttons which make the operation complicated.

Iam using a pc remote since a month for raspberry. It's ir range is very short. Works fine for kodi. Track button is not upto mark. If going for windows based htpc,I suggest you to buy something like Logitech K400r. I have this too and will difinetly recommend it at Rs.2K as against Rs.800 for PC remote.

Iam using a pc remote since a month for raspberry. It's ir range is very short. Works fine for kodi. Track button is not upto mark. If going for windows based htpc,I suggest you to buy something like Logitech K400r. I have this too and will difinetly recommend it at Rs.2K as against Rs.800 for PC remote.
you can enable HDMI CEC on your TV and raspberry pi can be controlled from the TV remote itself. Tried and tested

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back