Building a Home Theater & Listening Room

hydrovac

My wife finally parted with a portion of her terrace garden and let me build a home theater.

First off all I find myself very fortunate to build a room that can be dedicated to music listening and watching movies. The room will be 3.96 meters wide, 7.38 meters long and a height of 2.7 meters. So with a little more than 29 m2 it's not a big room at all.

We live in a duplex penthouse (5th & 6th floors with terrace rights). So, traditional construction methods are a bit difficult. I plan to take the prefab route.

HT Room area.

Columns set and trusses on.

Thanks George,

It took me quite a while convincing her. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost.

Cheers

Congratulations for getting the rights.

Prefabricated HT room reminds me of the Anutone demo room where the Bangalore guys have conducted their audio meets a few times.

Hello hydrovac,
First of all congrats for your passioned intrest in personal ht and taking a bold steps to setup in a pre fab way, great.
I promise you won't get dejected after you complete your ht construction and when you are a hollywood and bolywood movie lover.

Murali

Hello hydrovac,
First of all congrats for your passioned intrest in personal ht and taking a bold steps to setup in a pre fab way, great.
I promise you won't get dejected after you complete your ht construction and when you are a hollywood and bolywood movie lover.

Murali

Thanks Murali,

After going thru your thread, I have a lot of questions to ask at a later stage.

@hydrovac, it will be awesome if you post details of what these prefab wall panels are, where you got them from, price etc

sash,

The wall panels are Aerocon brand manufactured by Hyderabad Industries Ltd.
HIL Limited is a flagship Company of the C.K. Birla Group of Companies.
Costs around 130 Rs/sft.

Hi Decadent_Spectre,

The acoustic design has to be done after the slab is on. I am consulting Jignesh Khatiwala of Absolute Sound for acoustic treatment solution.

sash,

The wall panels are Aerocon brand manufactured by Hyderabad Industries Ltd.
HIL Limited is a flagship Company of the C.K. Birla Group of Companies.
Costs around 130 Rs/sft.

hydrovac, this seems an interesting concept and I am very much interested as I also have roof rights to my flat but permanent construction is not allowed as its the 2nd floor. So this might be a solution. I am googling more on this as I write this post, how ever can you share some more points on this.

1. prefab thing, does it seem suitable for a home theater kind of construction.
2. The 130 rs psf, what does it include. just bare 4 walls, roof and floor or anything else ... ?

I might have more queries as and when I feel this might be what I was looking for.

Hi sam9s,

Yes, prefab is the ideal solution where conventional methods are not possible.
Prefab Panels do not transmit water or moisture. However, for better water proofing and protection of panel walls, a coat of alkaline resistant primers may be applied.
The cost includes material and erection of wall panels only. You have to provide the MS skeleton structure. I am planning a composite slab for roof.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back