Building my Dream - My own Home Theater

sunith

All:

I live in Bangalore, and is about to venture into my dream project - My own home theater.
Due to space constraints, the only place where I can build is the terrace. I live in a 2 storey villa.

(a) Size - When looking at available space, I would end up in having 12 X 19 feet. I can go any height, but might end up at 8.5 or 9 feet.

(b) Walls - Based on a few suggestions here, I would go for Aerocon prefabricated panels. Approx 160 Rs per sft for a 3 inch thick wall. 2nd option option is a Fiber Cement Board (which will be slightly higher in cost), and final option would be regular brick wall. I have limited space to work with , for one long wall, as I have a sloping wall just below, which hampers scaffolding. Cement Fiber guys said they can do without it, but it need to be seen.
The walls will go on top of the terrace wall (3 ft) on 2 sides, and other 2 sides will be on the terrace floor.

(c) Roofing - I dont want to load the terrace, so I have limited options. Sandwich PUF panel is the leading choice. Aerocon do provide roofing, but could'nt guarantee on water proofing (!).

(d) Equipment - I have an Onkyo NR609 and Bose AM-15 which I will keep to start with, and I might upgrade speakers at a later stage. I must say I am happy with the sound quality of this combination. AM-15 is 5.1 only, but Onlyo can take 7.2. So, I will wire for 7.2/Atmos for future use.

(e) Projector - After seeing 4-5 demos, I am almost finalizing on Epson TW8200. Best price is around 1.7L from an authorized dealer. I havent seen much demo of the recent BenQ ones, but reviews suggest not to go for DLP. Want to see the Panasonic AE8000 as well, before finalizing, and maybe one Sony one.

(f) Screen - 120 inches fixed frame is what I would go with. Elite is 42K, Liberty is 22K and Suvira around 20K. Need some help in choosing that.

(g) Windows - For future use, and for air circulation, I would use 2 windows (maybe UPVC), which would be blacked out for movies

(h) Door - One flush door as entry

(i) Interior Walls - Dark shade wall paper is what I intend to use, with some acoustic panels attached. Need some expertise in this. Yet to get someone who can advise

(j) Flooring - As this is terrace, I might not choose carpet. My plan is to use either a wooden floor or a wood-like tile, with some large rug or carpet

(k) Ceiling - Would use a gypsum roofing, plus some fancy starry night (if budget allows) lights. Also for standard lighting, would include some in-wall lights (LED or similar).

(l) UPS - Not sure, if I need. I have frequent power cuts, layout has a genarator backup. But I might use an inverter just for this room

(m) A/C - Plan to keep one - In summer, I would definitely need one

(n) Cables - I have pretty much all HDMI cables with me. Might need a 25 ft one for connecting to the projector. Intend to get this from USA when my brother is coming in Aug.

(o) Seating - Two rows of seating, of 3 each. The back one with a riser. Yet to decide on how to create the riser - with wood or regular brick ? Need advice. The one challenge would be to take the furniture upstairs.

Uff - That much for planning. I have 10 more days to finalize the budget, plan for everything and start around 15-Aug. Seeking inputs and suggestions from all...... Will post pictures during and after construction.

Wait on the projector. Epson is about to release a new one next month. It will accept 4k signal, do pixel shifting 4k and can do HDR. The 4K input and HDR is very interesting and can offer a big jump over the current one. I would wait to see how these new projectors pan out.

Below is what I would suggest IMHO strictly ...:)

(d) Equipment - I have an Onkyo NR609 and Bose AM-15 which I will keep to start with, and I might upgrade speakers at a later stage. I must say I am happy with the sound quality of this combination. AM-15 is 5.1 only, but Onlyo can take 7.2. So, I will wire for 7.2/Atmos for future use.

Would sell AM-15 and go for proper DALI, POLK, set of speakers with a powerful woofer and center like SVS of DSW550. If you spending on a dedicated HT, with so much time, money and efforts, one thing should be at top priority and that is HT A/V equipment.

(e) Projector - After seeing 4-5 demos, I am almost finalizing on Epson TW8200. Best price is around 1.7L from an authorized dealer. I haven't seen much demo of the recent BenQ ones, but reviews suggest not to go for DLP. Want to see the Panasonic AE8000 as well, before finalizing, and maybe one Sony one.

Agree with Manoj with EPSON is releasing 4K projector I will wait for it, anyhow the construction will going to take a couple of months, a projector will be my last purchase. and if possible get it arranged from US, its half the price. I did the same.

(f) Screen - 120 inches fixed frame is what I would go with. Elite is 42K, Liberty is 22K and Suvira around 20K. Need some help in choosing that

With 12 feet at hand, you can easily go 130', especially when the length is 19'. Don't spend so much on screen. I have seen hardly makes a difference, its all a gimmick ..... I would not keep my budget more than 15-20K on screen, including the frame and everything.

(g) Windows - For future use, and for air circulation, I would use 2 windows (maybe UPVC), which would be blacked out for movies

No windows is my take, for circulation get a small exhaust (silent one)
Door is ok, but make sure to use heavy wood, as heavy as possible

(i) Interior Walls - Dark shade wallpaper is what I intend to use, with some acoustic panels attached. Need some expertise in this. Yet to get someone who can advise

wallpaper is ok, I went for, wall carpet, yes has to vacuum clean it once in 15-20 days but it has greatly increased the aesthetics and sound quality as well. Plain walls might resonate the sound.

(j) Flooring - As this is terrace, I might not choose carpet. My plan is to use either a wooden floor or a wood-like tile, with some large rug or carpet

Mine is also on the terrace, and I am using floor carpet, a thick one. but not directly, I used a think plastic bubble wrap on the floor and then the carpet, give a very nice cushion feeling

(k) Ceiling - Would use a gypsum roofing, plus some fancy starry night (if budget allows) lights. Also for standard lighting, would include some in-wall lights (LED or similar).

I used Armstrong semi-acoustic tiles for false ceiling, the only mistake I did was the color white. should have gone for black, so you make sure you choose black.

(l) UPS - Not sure, if I need. I have frequent power cuts, the layout has a genarator backup. But I might use an inverter just for this room

Nope,you will spend so much on equipment and not willing to provide a decent clean power, forget UPS get a proper online UPS 2KVA at least. This is not for backup,but for clean conditioned power. When there is any power cut, the inverter switchover time is not as fast as needed by these high-end A/V equipment, so they might trip or worse fail. Even if there are no power cuts, slight voltage fluctuations are also harmful, a quality online UPS will take care of all

(m) A/C - Plan to keep one - In summer, I would definitely need one

Loyd my choice 5 years compressor warranty.

(n) Cables - I have pretty much all HDMI cables with me. Might need a 25 ft one for connecting to the projector. Intend to get this from the USA when my brother is coming in Aug.

Monoprice is the one I went for, all HDMIs and speaker cables.

(o) Seating - Two rows of seating, of 3 each. The back one with a riser. Yet to decide on how to create the riser - with wood or regular brick ? Need advise. The one challenge would be to take the furniture upstairs.

did not go with 2 rows as my room length was 14', you might try.

Uff - That much for planning. I have 10 more days to finalize the budget, plan for everything and start around 15-Aug. Seeking inputs and suggestions from all...... Will post pictures during and after construction.

Start your dream project:) /..... looking forward to participating and share the journey....:):):):)

My HT thread ...

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/50863-sam9s-home-theater-civil-construction-phase-ii.html

Below is what I would suggest IMHO strictly ...:)

Would sell AM-15 and go for proper DALI, POLK, set of speakers with a powerful woofer and center like SVS of DSW550. If you spending on a dedicated HT, with so much time, money and efforts, one thing should be at top priority and that is HT A/V equipment.

Yes thats the plan. But, I will start with AM-15 only and upgrade later

Agree with Manoj with EPSON is releasing 4K projector I will wait for it, anyhow the construction will going to take a couple of months, a projector will be my last purchase. and if possible get it arranged from US, its half the price. I did the same.

Construction would be 1 month (as per plan). The new Epson would be very expensive, and I am not very keen on 4K. This will make TW8200 cheaper as well...Now I am taking to Bangalore Epson direct to get the best offer.

With 12 feet at hand, you can easily go 130', especially when the length is 19'. Don't spend so much on screen. I have seen hardly makes a difference, its all a gimmick ..... I would not keep my budget more than 15-20K on screen, including the frame and everything.

I am worried about pixelization if the size goes higher. I would watch more DVDs and less Blu Rays.

No windows is my take, for circulation get a small exhaust (silent one)

During non-movie times, I want to keep it as music room, so - I prefer a window

I used Armstrong semi-acoustic tiles for false ceiling, the only mistake I did was the color white. should have gone for black, so you make sure you choose black.
Black or Brown is what I am thinking for ceiling color

Monoprice is the one I went for, all HDMIs and speaker cables.
How good are the Mediabridge ones ? (https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-...d=1469768130&sr=1-3&keywords=HDMI+Cable+25+ft). I can get 25 feet for $14 from US

^^ Yea I dont want to go in the hassle for painting all the tiles now.... too much of a work .... Its not "that" distracting, but yes given the choice and knowledge I would have gone for Black

All set to start from tomorrow. Vendors etc almost finalized. Will post pictures.
Phase 1 - Walls (Aerocon), Roof (PUF Sandwich Sheet)

Armstrong does have black ceiling tiles - armstrong b'lore office is opposite to Surana college on the road that goes from south end circle, Jayanagar. Anutone also has black ceiling tiles. Do NOT make the mistake of going with bright ceilings/interiors - it makes a huge difference.
Please put up as many pictures as possible of the construction. Also post contact details of the vendors for aerocon and the ceiling panels. It'll help many FMs

Day 2 - Usual delays from vendors, my Aerocon sheets didnt arrive except for a few. They started mounting those. So, not much progress.
My civil work guy did a 1 row of brick all around the perimeter. The Aerocon will be in top of it. Will resume from Monday.
The roofing material arrived by 6 30 PM today. Will start on that next.
Excitement in the air !

Do exercise caution with the brickwork. Bricks are heavy. It may not be a good idea to build on top of parapet walls and also without a beam underneath on the floor. It is not clear if you are doing either but do be careful.

From the image it appears that you are resting the frame on existing sloped roof... how are you going to weather proof, leak proof and water resistant?

Frame in picture is NOT resting on the sloping roof. It extends upto that space only.
Once the PUF sheets are installed (hopefully tomorrow), it will be tight screwed. As per design and specs, its water proof, fire proof and sound proof.

Small Update:

Aerocon sheets had to be lifted up to the terrace, and it took almost half day's effort yesterday. Work to resume today.

Plan for proper drainage for rainwater from the adjacent roof, as it can cause problems in future.

Walls completed.
The roof panels can be seen in this snap which are waiting to be done tomorrow

Attachments

• Walls Complete.jpg
    Walls Complete.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 225
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back