• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Bunch of OP amps compatible to Asus Xonar STX

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers

corElement

I'd like to further experiment with OP amp rolling on the STX. Presently I use a different one from the default op amp which has a meatier midrange compared to the default op amps but the bass extension on the default one is a little better.

I'd like to try out some more op amps in buffer and channel positions to experience some variation in sound.

OP amp's are tiny and not very expensive, overnight mail deliveries to gurgaon shouldn't cost much I think if you have some (outside of delhi ncr region)

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

2chFreak

dont waste your time in this ... another FM just a few days back got out of this STX card by buying an external dac & was shocked to hear what all the things he's been missing and kinda blaming da system - in general.

suggest you too plan shifting out of this so called audiophile grade STX into a dac & feel THaT BIG diff on your Concert 8s.

yes !!! its $$$ but start planning it ..

Few of the 1st things that you'll notice upon the shift

1. How much quieter your system suddenly becomes with low level passages coming thru that were earlier all masked
2. How deeper the bottom end NOW goes or delves into
3. How extended & smooth the top end is
4. The superior soundstaging minus the absence of the disproportionate soundstage that the STX threw earlier

Last edited:

corElement

dont waste your time in this ... another FM just a few days back got out of this STX card by buying an external dac & was shocked to hear what all the things he's been missing and kinda blaming da system - in general.

suggest you too plan shifting out of this so called audiophile grade STX into a dac & feel THaT BIG diff on your Concert 8s.

I do not feel the pursuit of knowledge on OP amps any component is a waste of time..and neither should you dude.

I am already familiar with the limits and sacrifices with the STX but the price to performance coupled with versatility ratio is where I need it to be for the moment. In approx. 2-3 years I intend to get a better amplifier as well as a better dac. The context of me looking for more op amps is because I want to explore the effect of op-amps on sound quality and see what kind of variations occur. Not because I am dissatisfied with the STX in any manner.

Yep, I saw that review and the op amp rolling thread too, they were my guides to swapping our the default op amps and using a different opa burr brown op amps.

The problem for me is I'm confused about how to go about getting them. I don't have much time to wait for international deliveries at this point with my masters starting in a few months so wanted to take advantage of anyone having any lying around, unused.

Last edited:

2chFreak

I do not feel the pursuit of knowledge on OP amps any component is a waste of time..and neither should you dude.

IMHO - a complete waste of time & money (period!)

sorry to be so direct but for this card, that's my opinion. Tried & tested.

2chFreak

Tried and tested what? op amp rolling? and you found no difference?

it would make a whole lot meaningful sense if that card was working OFF a Linear PSU but that's waaayy too painful & unworthy for it. The SMPS is waaayy too noisy.

serious Opamps like 2 x OPA627 BP sitting on browndogs needs +/- 15V DC supplies heavily regulated and coming from a oversized Linear PSU. This sort of a thing is just not possible on this. I have hand-select OPA-627 BPs that are matched on a curve tracer (very rare) with me lying idle & they cannot be implemented properly.

Its NOT so simple as just an Opamp substitution & you expect miracles. It would never happen. Every single Opamp needs its own set of "ideal parameters" for it to work 100% and THaT extra mile. Scope for such is not possible on a card like this.

Last edited:

sachu888

it would make a whole lot meaningful sense if that card was working OFF a Linear PSU but that's waaayy too painful & unworthy for it. The SMPS is waaayy too noisy.

serious Opamps like 2 x OPA627 BP sitting on browndogs needs +/- 15V DC supplies heavily regulated and coming from a oversized Linear PSU. This sort of a thing is just not possible on this. I have hand-select OPA-627 BPs that are matched on a curve tracer (very rare) with me lying idle & they cannot be implemented properly.

I agree on this.I have experimented few Opamps in my DIY Phonostage like OpA2107,2132,2134,LM4562,LME49990,AD823 all are well regarded in audio.They all need a well filtered regulated power supply.
I have lot of them available with me.Let me know if you need any of them.All are bought by authorised sources only(no ebay)Digikey,Mouser,RS etc.
Edit: some of the above opamps need different voltage eg Opa2107 will not work below +/-10V,LME 49990 runs too hot above +/-10.5

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:

corElement

Its NOT so simple as just an Opamp substitution & you expect miracles. It would never happen. Every single Opamp needs its own set of "ideal parameters" for it to work 100% and THaT extra mile. Scope for such is not possible on a card like this.

Thank you for writing that bit of technical information out. You could have simply said that instead of writing it's a waste of time. It was very insightful and I will read up more on it. :)

I just have an aversion about people telling me to give up on something without giving a reason while I'm still curious about it. So you can understand why I didn't take kindly to that waste of time comment :)

Last edited:

corElement

I agree on this.I have experimented few Opamps in my DIY Phonostage like OpA2107,2132,2134,LM4562,LME49990,AD823 all are well regarded in audio.They all need a well filtered regulated power supply.
I have lot of them available with me.Let me know if you need any of them.All are bought by authorised sources only(no ebay)Digikey,Mouser,RS etc.

Regards,
Sachin

Awesome, will pm you soon! :)