Buy Plasma or not

Audionut

Hi all,

Looks like almost everybody agrees that the picture quality of plasma televisions is better than LED/LCD's. It even costs cheaper.

However, the best plasma manufacturer i.e Panasonic is going to exit plasma pretty soon. You dont see much plasma TV's at the showrooms either. Looks like it is fading as a technology.

Looking at these, does it make sense to buy plasma now?

Thanks

I think it depends on your expectation, if you have an LCD / flat panel / CRT TV presently and this is for PQ upgrade then Plasma is still a very good cost effective option. But if your expectation is that you want this to last for as long as that old CRT in your home has lasted (10+ years) then that may not hold true considering the fast pace at which newer standards are being brought out in the market tempting you to upgrade. In my opinion be it any technology TV (non CRT TV), the life is expected to be 3 to 8 years until it becomes obsolete (spare parts scarcity, new standards, etc). If you get a plasma with extended warranty of 3 years you will be better off with a plasma if the TV runs well in first 3 years without any issue unless any unforeseen circumstances damage the TV.

This is just my opinion, this February my Panasonic Plasma will complete 3 years and it is running great.

Hi all,

Looks like almost everybody agrees that the picture quality of plasma televisions is better than LED/LCD's. It even costs cheaper.

However, the best plasma manufacturer i.e Panasonic is going to exit plasma pretty soon. You dont see much plasma TV's at the showrooms either. Looks like it is fading as a technology.

Looking at these, does it make sense to buy plasma now?

Thanks

Yes it costs cheaper and looks better...

panasonic was great but then there are always more companies making amazing products.

dosent look like its gonna fade anytime soon and as for the showrooms they sell what gives them the maximum margin.

You'll find Panasonic X60 and S60 at showrooms although they're low in number.

Samsung 51F5500 is also amazing and it's a smartTV. You can buy extended warranty too so you're tension-free for 3-years and more.

Hey all,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. I currently have an LG 42 inch LCD TV. Its with me for the past 3 years and is still in pristine condition. It has not given me a single problem till date. Picture quality is also fine. However thinking of upgrading to a 55 inch one. Had a look at the LED's in the market and found the costs very prohibitive (around 1.5 L for LG 6910 55 incher). Very reluctant to spend so much. Found that plasma's are way cheaper and found the PQ to be quite good as well. Panasonic/Samsung plasma's have great reviews as well. But this technology is on its way out. Not sure what to do, spend 70K on a fading technology or 1.5L of hard-earned blood sweat and tears money on the new one?
Thanks.

I would suggest you to wait a bit till new models of 2014 are out. I personally think that 70K plasma is much better than spending 1.5L on LED. PQ of plasma is way better than any LED in market, any day of the week.

I recently gave up a plasma as it had problems and got a LED as replacement. It's nothing compared to my 2012 model entry-level 3D plasma. That's how "I" feel, others may differ.

But LA6910 is a very good model and it's PQ is quite comparable to plasma. 3D is stunning though.

@anubisX - Thanks for the advice. Any idea when the 2014 models will be out? Yes, i also found the LA6910 to be quite good. However it costs a lot of money and my wife will kill me if am even thinking about puchasing it!

Then don't get it. Why not a plasma ? Panasonic is not coming out with another plasma so X60 and S60 are the latest and last. Samsung 51F5500 is good and they haven't declared anything for 2014. LG has one model I think P5400 or P4500 but they're not bringing any new plasma models. No new plasmas are coming this year. So I think you should go for the 2013 models whichever is available. If you want to go for LED, new models are coming soon, may be in March.

As suggested by other members, Plasma is still a VFM option for a great PQ.
Please check for extended warranty for few more years.
Make sure you demo current PDPs in store side by side with LEDs.

These models should be available now.
50+ inches : Panasonic 50S60 or Samsung 51F5500 ( Within 75K )
64 : Samsung 64F8500 ( Better to spend for this Excellent 64 inch PDP than paying 1.5L for 55 inch LED )

Thanks anubisx and sunilkm for your valuable inputs. 64 inch is not an option for me now. Lets see, will post my decision soon.

Just because Panasonic has decided to quit the Plasma business, mind you only for reasons of profitability, should have no bearing on your decision to buy a plasma TV. It's not like the TV is going to stop working, or will magically deteriorate in quality, simply because Panasonic, or for that matter even if all the companies, stop manufacturing plasma TVs. Once you have bought a TV, no amount of advances in that particular technology is of any benefit to you as far as that TV is concerned. So why should any further development in plasma technology hold you back from buying a plasma TV, which is as of today the best technology that you can buy. Well, even if you consider OLED TVs, are they really a realistic option at their current prices?

Hey all,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. I currently have an LG 42 inch LCD TV. Its with me for the past 3 years and is still in pristine condition. It has not given me a single problem till date. Picture quality is also fine. However thinking of upgrading to a 55 inch one. Had a look at the LED's in the market and found the costs very prohibitive (around 1.5 L for LG 6910 55 incher). Very reluctant to spend so much. Found that plasma's are way cheaper and found the PQ to be quite good as well. Panasonic/Samsung plasma's have great reviews as well. But this technology is on its way out. Not sure what to do, spend 70K on a fading technology or 1.5L of hard-earned blood sweat and tears money on the new one?
Thanks.

The upgrade bug will catch up with you even if you buy a 55" .

Why not wait and buy a 3D :)

@sanjay0864 - Point taken. However what if a year down the line, the TV goes kaput. Will it get serviced? What if they say - "No parts available"? What about resale value?

^+1. Assuming (plasma) TV is under warranty (standard or extended) and it goes kaput, you may be offered an LED replacement.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back