Buying a 32" LED TV..Please advise

oburnwal

Hi All,
I am planning to buy a new 32" LED TV for my home. I have few questions.
1. The viewing distance in my room is around 10 feet. Is that correct distance? personally 32" looks small to me but that may be the case as I am looking at it in the showroom with all big TVs around. Your views?
2. As for brand, I have zeroed down to Samsung, Sony and LG. Some models I have liked are Samsung 32H5100 (36.5K), Samsung 32F550(36.3K) and Sony 32W700B (42K) and Sony 32W600 (35K). Which one will be best?? I liked Sony at the first glance though.

I don't want 3D and also not much of a games guy. I just want this for home use.
Please advise!I am really confused! :sad:

Last edited:
IMO 32 inch is too small a size for 10 ft viewing distance. You should think of something above 42 inch. Check out the below stuff for the perfect viewing distance to screen ratio
1080p charted: Viewing distance to screen size

Sony and Samsung are both good brands and they deliver top notch quality. There is little to choose between these two. Pick the set whatever meets your eye. Remember for normal SD viewing 720p is enough. So if your connection is SD and you decide a 32 inch set it is best to go for a 720p (HD Ready) set and save money.

IMO 32 inch is too small a size for 10 ft viewing distance. You should think of something above 42 inch. Check out the below stuff for the perfect viewing distance to screen ratio
1080p charted: Viewing distance to screen size

Sony and Samsung are both good brands and they deliver top notch quality. There is little to choose between these two. Pick the set whatever meets your eye. Remember for normal SD viewing 720p is enough. So if your connection is SD and you decide a 32 inch set it is best to go for a 720p (HD Ready) set and save money.

Okk. Thanks..I live in Mumbai and would mostly be taking a DEN cable connection which I guess is not HD. Does SD channels don't look good on 1080p models of Full HD? Sorry, my knowledge in this particular domain is patchy! :sad:

Okk. Thanks..I live in Mumbai and would mostly be taking a DEN cable connection which I guess is not HD. Does SD channels don't look good on 1080p models of Full HD? Sorry, my knowledge in this particular domain is patchy! :sad:
I have a den cable connection which is connected to my LG 47LM6700 the quality is not very good and not very bad its just ohkkk.....you will definately require an hd set top box to let your tv show its true colours......my viewing distance is 12 ft.....my cable operator did not tell me about den hd stb when i took the connection...now they have it and costs 6000/- one time fee and then you pay normally for the channels.....this is what my local cable operator told me......i also own a videocon dth sd stb connected to my 32inch samsung fhd led tv and i must say that you cannot compare the quality of dth with den....both stb are sd but Videocon is far superior

Hi friend
Please find the following logic for broadcast standard.
In India we follow PAL B/G SD Analogue standard which corresponds to 576 vertical scanning lines. Thus a SD Signal is often called 576i (i stands for interlaced). A full HD comprises of 1080 lines of signal. So to fit a SD Signal to a full HD it needs to zoom in by 1080/576 times. So when we scale up the signal we scale up the noise also in the source resulting in the creation of artifacts which causes poor picture quality. In case of HD Ready the scaling factor is 768/576 since HD ready has 768 lines which is significantly lower resulting in lesser artifacts and a cleaner PQ.
Hope it is clearer to you now.

Hi oburnwal

Since you reside at Mumbai, you have the liberty to go window shopping to a Vijay Sales / Croma / Reliance Digital and do a side by side comparision with TVs...with the current lifespan of TVs which is anything from 3 - 9 years...you need to choose wisely and take something that fits your budget and has good warranty.

Personally, I did a lot of review research before buying a TV....I went through the below links...

Plasma vs LED vs LCD TVs

LED vs LCD vs plasma TV - Which? Technology

Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? - CNET

CNET's guide to 3D TV: What you (still) need to know - CNET

Whats the Difference Between Active 3D and Passive 3D TVs? | eBay

Then I decided what I wanted in a TV and went to see a few competitive models.....the key is to watch the same channel at a store ....watch the TV from all angels...remember the settings would differ from house to house.....you would need to optimally adjust the same depending on the amount of light in the room etc etc...after a much thought and consideration...I settled for the Toshiba PU 200 series 32 inch LED TV. My viewing distance is almost 10 feet.

I use Hathway Cable set top box ordinary connection....firstly you need to adjust the Set top box settings so that it can output to 16:9 ratio.....secondly in order to inprove PQ, I used a Component Cable (Red Blue Green....Thick high quality one...75k ohms type) and hooked up the set top box to Video 1....then I adjusted the PQ settings as per room lighting etc.....after a good 1 week of use...the PQ is perfect....the TV is good value for money and suits all my requirements in terms of connectivity options, screen size...front soundbar...most important 3 years warranty......

There was no need for me to go for an HD connection as the PQ is almost HD quality now....there seems to be no value for me to spend 8k for Hathway HD connection where there are around 20 HD channels out of which 8 would be used by me...that too only for 3 hours a day as most of us work in the corporate world and make it home only after 8pm....Blu Ray movies work well and there is no issue whatsoever.......

The most important thing is that you check your options before you purchase any brand...Vijay Sales is known to hype the price...my Toshiba was for sale for almost 27k when the MRP was 30k....they were willing to sell the same for 25k provided it was a cash purchase....I checked with my local electronics dealer who gave the same to me for 21k with the same warranty....seeing my TV, I had 5 followers who purchased the same....recently my friend wanted to go for a 50 inch TV....we checked a lot of brands together...based on his requirement and need, we settled for the Toshiba 50 inch LED....Vijay Sales was offering the same for 73k.....we got it for 66k with the same warranty from the dealer in my area.....

Bottomline, there are reviews and posts in HFV on different brands of TVs....all brands more or less use the same components and market their product with some difference here and there...you may want to look at SHARP QUAT series which is a different experience altogether and has 3 years warranty also....There are numerous online complaints / reviews available over the internet where panels of some big brands got spoiled or bad for some consumers just after one or 2 years of use....choose wisely....

Hope this helps....all the best.....

+1 to Efernand.
As I mentioned you can find Efernand is also using a 768p HD ready tv (Toshiba 32PU200) and with some tweaks and cable alterations the result is good. Go for a HD ready tv for normal SD viewing.

Get at least 40" for this viewing distance. I was using a 32" LCD in my living room with similar viewing distance, and it was considerably smaller. I moved on to a 42" Samsung. Picked it up for 32K from eBay. I was already using another 42" which was bought from eBay a couple years back.

Look no further, http://www.hifivision.com/television/50766-review-toshiba-39p2305e.html

also http://www.hifivision.com/television/50766-review-toshiba-39p2305e-3.html#post582748

39 inch, backlit led.

Price : 33-35k
Warranty : 3 years

Many happy buyers in the forum itself.

Thanks to all guyz for their valuable suggestions. :) I went to the market and found only few pieces of Toshiba 39P2305. Croma was offering it for 36k but they said they would deliver the piece within 10 days for some strange reasons. Vijay sales had a price of 42 k which after bargaining came down to 37k. But that looked a high price given it's available on Snapdeal for 33.5k.
I am not finding this piece in Reliance Digital/Ezone etc neither local shops. I stay in Bhandup.
Is this piece outdated now? Hardly anyone seems to be stocking it. :sad:

HD looks quite good on this piece. But when I turned on normal SD in the showroom, picture quality degraded.
Also how much is Tata Sky/Videocon expensive when it comes to overall per month fee compared to say likes of DEN/CITI cable?

Price seems to me on the higher side. Bargain hard and get additional freebies like a free HD DTH connection.
If you are not opposed to plasma then there is a beautiful 42 inch tv LG 42PN4500 available at sub 35k. SD and HD both look awesome on this tv. There is a dedicated thread on this in this forum. Check it out.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/46130-budget-plasma-lg-42pn4500-review.html

Last edited:
I think 37-38K is on the higher side. Maybe because I bought both my Samsungs, one 40" and one 42" off eBay for under 34K. Why not try any online sites?

I'm in search for 24" Toshiba, and face same problem like you... shop/mall/croma/reliance etc. don't have Toshiba product... don't know why...

either Toshiba LED life is too good that customer once bought not came again for 7-8 years or more.. (but seller want us to buy NEW by every 3-4 year and thus don't stock Toshiba)

or... Toshiba LED worst quality/after sales service that Dealer don't want Headache from customer for same

I am not finding this piece in Reliance Digital/Ezone etc neither local shops. I stay in Bhandup.
Is this piece outdated now? Hardly anyone seems to be stocking it. :sad:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back