Buying a HTIB or building your own HT system?

hardrocker

Hello Friends,

First of I would like to thanks other FMs for taking their time and providing inputs and their expertise :clapping:

I am Abhishek from Mumbai. I have been regularly following different threads for buying new HT and making notes for the same before posting my first thread. So here it goes,

Initially, my budget was to 40K , so zeroed it on YHT-299 as I wanted entry level HT within my budget. The main reason behind this was my limited knowledge in this domain. But after going through several threads, I am ready to increase my budget to 50K (still tight) to give myself change to build my own HT. Main reason behind = UPGRADE at later stage

1. Living Room Size: 12x10 (Distance of TV and my couch i.e sitting area is apprx ~4/5 ft)
2. Movie/Music Ratio: 75:25
3. Good Bass

1. Please advise whether I should go for YHT-299 (hunting still on :sad:)?
2. If I buy YHT-299 and can I upgrade stock speakers to something like Polks etc?
3. Should I build my own HT and start with good AVR and 2.1 Speakers? Sub-woofer and surroud speakers can be added later. Am I right in quoting this statement. Will I still get theatre experience with 2.1 speakers.

If yes, please recommend AVR (preferably Yamaha) and speakers within my budget and future enhancements (subwoofer, surround speakers.)

Also keeping an eye open "Sale by Owner" section.

Advise will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Abhishek R

Hi Abhishek. I'd always recommend going for separate component system with speaker cabinet made with wood/plywood rather going for Home Theater Package sytem.

Do you have any soft corner for Yamaha?

Hi Abhishek,

Option 3....please build it slowly if budget is a challenge.....you need to audition...yamaha is not the end of the world.....

Every one has different tastes and expectations...something will be one man's poison and the other man's bliss....

Take your time and decide....you will immediately know the difference between a HTiB and a proper separate system

Hi Abhishek
While all the advice for component based system (building your own HT system) is well intentioned, you are looking at min 1 lakh for any decent AVR + 5.0 system
(with the Andrew Jones' Pioneer AJ series, you could get a decent system for <1, but I think it is mostly out of stock now)

So if you think over next year or so you can spend 1+ lakh on your system, then choose the component route

Otherwise I think it is better to go for the a ready-made system route

In the beginner range, instead of a satellite speaker based like YHT-299, you can look at a set like the Taga Harmony here

There is a thread on HFV about the same set http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/62957-taga-tav-606-v3-5-0-speaker-system.html

Plus I believe MZ Audio in Bandra deals with them - you can get a demo before you buy

For the AVR, you can pick up the Denon 520 BT or the Pioneer VSX 524
With some bargaining/discounts, the total cost of speakers+AVR should be under 60k for you

Alternatively, you can go for a completely configured package like this Pioneer system (although I don't know where you can demo it)

1. Living Room Size: 12x10 (Distance of TV and my couch i.e sitting area is apprx ~4/5 ft)
2. Movie/Music Ratio: 75:25
3. Good Bass

I will agree with @grunthos, even the cheapest seperate will set you back min 1L (New, used one is a different story) so plan accordingly.

I will go with separates and below would be my recommendation for someone on very tight budget. All polk system coz thats the cheapest ultimately sounding Home Theater system.

AVR : Yamaha HTR-2067 or Pioneer VSX-330 -> Both 20-25K
Fronts : Polk Tsx 330t : 25-30K
Center : Polk TSx 150 : 10-12K
Rear : Polk OMV3 : 10-12K
SUB : Polk PSW 110 : 20K-25K

====================
Total ::: around 1L

And BTW this is in no way a weaker or inferior system, this will rock your room out of balls trust me on that .....:)

AVR : Yamaha HTR-2067 or Pioneer VSX-330 -> Both 20-25K
Fronts : Polk Tsx 330t : 25-30K
Center : Polk TSx 150 : 10-12K
Rear : Polk OMV3 : 10-12K
SUB : Polk PSW 110 : 20K-25K

====================
Total ::: around 1L

And BTW this is in no way a weaker or inferior system, this will rock your room out of balls trust me on that .....:)

Agree with @sam9s
The cheapest quality 5.1 system you can build is the Polk TSx system described by @sam9s

And it is very good with movies
You can demo them at ProFX showrooms and see for yourself

Hello,

Thank you guys for replying and providing your valuable inputs.

@subhobh: Only mentioned Yamaha, as one of the colleagues mentioned me about AVRs from them (again my lack of knowledge).

@efernand1 : I have decided to take some time and start auditioning. Target is to narrow down the search for AVR and speakers by Dec end.

@grunthos: Thanks for providing the link for Taga Harmony speakers. Got really good reviews by FMs. Also checking for AVRs for Denon/Pioneer

@sam9s: First of I would really like to thank you for inspiring me to think and seriously look into home theatre stuffs. All after reading all post of your journey in building your HT:clapping:

Well couple of questions:

1. I really liked the combination mentioned by yo. But if I decide to start now according to my budget,

AVR : Yamaha HTR-2067 or Pioneer VSX-330 -> Both 20-25K --> (NOW)
Fronts : Polk Tsx 330t : 25-30K ---> (NOW)
Center : Polk TSx 150 : 10-12K ---> (NOW)
Rear : Polk OMV3 : 10-12K -------> (LATER) ?
SUB : Polk PSW 110 : 20K-25K-------> (LATER) ?

Will I still get good effect?

Hello,

1. I really liked the combination mentioned by yo. But if I decide to start now according to my budget,

Well I consider center to be a part of a surround system. Hence, would suggest you get the center when you get the rear surrounds. For now, a receiver and a 2.1 setup should make you feel better.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Hello,

I an a relative newbie and do not have experience of more older FMs
I am running a 2.0 configuration with Dali Zensor 7s and an Denon AVR
I sometimes feel the need for a centre channel in movies, when the sound effects sometimes drown out the dialogue

So starting with L+R+C seems like a good thing to do

A subwoofer is essential for the big bangs and thumps, although if you are constrained, the floorstanders can manage bass duties for a while

So before taking a final call, listen to the Polks in 2.0 mode and compare it with 5.1, 3.0 and 2.1 mode to decide which one suits you

Also keep in mind, some speakers sound better at movies than music and vice versa
Musical playback is best in 2.0, so check with a few of your favorite songs on USB

Hello Abhishek,

i too was on the hunt for HT components, and recently finalised them all. i'd strongly suggest taking as many demos as possible. give it some time. i had started on a rather measly budget, but with time & increase in number of demos (& things getting struck off or added to list of options), budget rose. thankfully the quest is over for now (placed order for the AVR y'day).

you can look at my thread for a list of places where you can have a demo. for yamaha htr-2067 you can also go to reliance digital, ghodbunder road, or at korum mall, Thane. not all RD stores stock AVRs. i'd suggest first of all visit The Shop at Andheri, & ProFX at Worli. most RD stores dont have demo-rooms.

Last edited:
@TheSeeker: I was infact following your thread closely. Thanks for link. The list of stores will really give me a good head-start for my AVR hunt. I am now more determined to visit the shop and ask them for the demo before zeroing on the perfect AVR within my budget.

@sam9s: First of I would really like to thank you for inspiring me to think and seriously look into home theatre stuffs. All after reading all post of your journey in building your HT:clapping:

I would agree with @MaSh, there is no point in getting a center without surrounds. SUB you can still purchase and built a 2.1 setup, which will be decent, dont expect movies to blow coz a surround is anyhow better than stereo for Movies. So I would say for now get AVR, fronts and SUB and rest later.

I an a relative newbie and do not have experience of more older FMs
I am running a 2.0 configuration with Dali Zensor 7s and an Denon AVR
I sometimes feel the need for a centre channel in movies, when the sound effects sometimes drown out the dialogue

So starting with L+R+C seems like a good thing to do

You need to setup your AVR in a way that it downconverts multichannel to 2.0. Then you would not feel the need for center and effects will not over shadow dialogues.

@TheSeeker: I was infact following your thread closely. Thanks for link. The list of stores will really give me a good head-start for my AVR hunt. I am now more determined to visit the shop and ask them for the demo before zeroing on the perfect AVR within my budget.

great. pls post your impressions when done.

Hello Friends,

Continuing the thread, I had a chance to visit few places this weekend to start auditioning on my hunt for AVR.
In contention was Yamaha RX-V581 vs Denon X1300 as both are available in same price band and within my raised budget from earlier hunt. I took few looseless mp3 songs(from the thread "songs with good soundstage":). This was my first audition ever.

1. Profx, Worli - (Thanks to FM @TheSeeker for listing all places in his thread)

Setup1: Denon X1300 was paired with Polk Signature series bookshelves. Connecting my USB and the AV was not detecting (dont know why....still wondering) and utimately connected AVR with phone through bluetooth.
Good sound but still something was missing may be that punch. Then we played action scene and the experience was nice warm with all the elements required for proper home theater experience. Much more pleasing IMO.

Setup2: Yamaha V581 was paired with same polk signature series speakers. The USB was detected within a second...still not sure what was wrong with Denon.Music was good better than Denon but not upto the mark. He removed signature series and paired RTIA3 bookshelves and there was drastic difference in the sound that appealed to my ears. But while watching same action scene with RX581, the experience was great, it had all little effects which I wanted my ears to hear. But one thing that bothered me was the sound. It had too much treble (is that what senior FMs call..too bright?..Pls correct if I am wrong). I can say maybe more lively.It was little hurting on my ears after 15 mins of play. I say the sound is more personal preference.

Conclusion/Confusion: I actually went having much expectations with Yamaha RX-V581 but was left little let-down in terms of movie experience(too much treble - sorry for non-technical term). Denon, which wasnt in my list now finds top slot ahead of Yamaha. But I feel Denon X1300 was missing something. Also, Denon needs to be little higher than Yamaha to output what I feel like is the same volume.

For me Denon-Polk combination wins against Yamaha-Polk combination in Round 1.

Overall I enjoyed my first audition and looks like its going to be pleasant journey in ultimately reaching the goal :)

I thinks Polk RTiA3 wins against signature series in terms of filling the room was pleasant sound. This is just in my opinion.

I am confused whether I should give Yamaha RX581 another try and see how is the experience when paired with other speakers? - Please recommend what should be my next action. I have heard from other FMs that Yamaha pairs well with Dali Z speakers and sounds natural? What is the take on this?

Hello Friends,

Continuing the thread, I had a chance to visit few places this weekend to start auditioning on my hunt for AVR.
In contention was Yamaha RX-V581 vs Denon X1300 as both are available in same price band and within my raised budget from earlier hunt. I took few looseless mp3 songs(from the thread "songs with good soundstage":). This was my first audition ever.

1. Profx, Worli - (Thanks to FM @TheSeeker for listing all places in his thread)

Setup1: Denon X1300 was paired with Polk Signature series bookshelves. Connecting my USB and the AV was not detecting (dont know why....still wondering) and utimately connected AVR with phone through bluetooth.
Good sound but still something was missing may be that punch. Then we played action scene and the experience was nice warm with all the elements required for proper home theater experience. Much more pleasing IMO.

Setup2: Yamaha V581 was paired with same polk signature series speakers. The USB was detected within a second...still not sure what was wrong with Denon.Music was good better than Denon but not upto the mark. He removed signature series and paired RTIA3 bookshelves and there was drastic difference in the sound that appealed to my ears. But while watching same action scene with RX581, the experience was great, it had all little effects which I wanted my ears to hear. But one thing that bothered me was the sound. It had too much treble (is that what senior FMs call..too bright?..Pls correct if I am wrong). I can say maybe more lively.It was little hurting on my ears after 15 mins of play. I say the sound is more personal preference.

Conclusion/Confusion: I actually went having much expectations with Yamaha RX-V581 but was left little let-down in terms of movie experience(too much treble - sorry for non-technical term). Denon, which wasnt in my list now finds top slot ahead of Yamaha. But I feel Denon X1300 was missing something. Also, Denon needs to be little higher than Yamaha to output what I feel like is the same volume.

Overall I enjoyed my first audition and looks like its going to be pleasant journey in ultimately reaching the goal :)

I thinks Polk RTiA3 wins against signature series in terms of filling the room was pleasant sound. This is just in my opinion.

I am confused whether I should give Yamaha RX581 another try and see how is the experience when paired with other speakers? - Please recommend what should be my next action. I have heard from other FMs that Yamaha pairs well with Dali Z speakers and sounds natural? What is the take on this?

Yamaha AVRs are bright performing AVRs, however the treble can be controlled from the equalizer settings.
Go ahead for Round 2, list out the pros and cons in both Yamaha and Denon AVRs that you auditioned. Try with different speaker combos.
Also give Marantz AVRs a try.

Hello Friends,

Please recommend what should be my next action. I have heard from other FMs that Yamaha pairs well with Dali Z speakers and sounds natural? What is the take on this?

Welcome and Congratulations on your first audition! It is an addiction to say the least :eek:hyeah:

In terms of pairing up Yamaha with not too bright speakers, try the Wharfdales or Q-acoustics. Also check that the tone settings in Yamaha is not set to the higher side. The tone setting is for Bass and Treble which can go upto +6db, make sure they are set to Bypass mode. Also while listening on the Yamaha select Straight mode (no DSP modes). This will give you the actual sound of the AVR without any DSP effects. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rajiv

What happened to your budget of 50K .. :):), Denon X1300 alone will set you back around 45K ... :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back