Buying AV Equipment from Europe to India

Vivek Batra

Hi

I am a frequent visitor to Europe but new to buying hi end audio equipment. I am planning to buy a Pre Amp and Power amplifier for my Stereo system. Is it worth buying any equipment from Europe from cost perspective? Are there any real hi end brands that are not available in India and worth buying? My budget is around Euros 10K. I am also bit concerned how the custom and air fare for the extra luggage would play in. As far as I know Europe is not as cheap as US.

I know this might not be a easy question to answer as I have not mentioned any particular brand here but my inclination is towards McIntosh/ Accuphase/ Primaluna pre and power amps.

In the past I have got VAT refund at the airport for the billing above Euros 175. I am hoping to get the same in case of Electronics as well. The VAT is around 20% on electronics.

Taking this VAT refund, custom + air fare for the extra weight will it make any sense to buy from there?

Anyone's experience buying similar products from Europe to India will be of great help to me.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainland European brands in HiFi have gone the funky, yet posh route.
They love to experiment with new technology and new ways.
There are some well received brands in terms of electronics.
Lyngdorf, Holographic Audio, Heed Audio, Devialet (to name a few) are some of the newer brands.
Some FMs have used these products here; please seek their opinion.

I suggest you use your first few trips to audition stuff out and then decide on buying.
The electronics can be chosen to be small enough to carry back home.
Speakers are a different ballgame all together. They can be bulky and heavy, so shipping/customs will hit you.

Cheers,
Raghu

Would advise you to buy prima Luna from Singapore and Accuphase is too expensive in Europe I stead buy from Hong Kong.. smaller electronics can be easily carried but heavier items will be stopped at Indian customs...

You should actually concentrate on the brands that are from Europe. Since weight could be challenge, I would recommend looking into used Nagra gears. Apart from that, in my opinion you can look into following brands.

1. Karan Acoustics (That I use but is very heavy - 18kg for integrated amp).
2. Lavardin
3. Mola Mola for class D (probably lightweight too)
4. iCon TVC Preamp

Hi
I don't think you can bring very high value items through your checked in baggage. Some innocuous looking items like Dac's may escape customs' attention. Other items like pre-amp, power amps will attract lot of scrutiny.
As per law of you wish to import any item greater than Rs. 1 lakh you need a import export code (IEC).
For audio gear, which is not available in India , you may directly get in touch with the manufacturer , he will provide generous discounts on the listed price as there will be no dealer margins involved. He will pass on those margins to you.
Buying audio gear with no dealer in India will also mean that you will not get after sales service and hence there is limited liability on the manufacturer unless you ship the item to him. This is another point you could argue why you need a better deal.
Hope this helps.

Hi
I don't think you can bring very high value items through your checked in baggage. Some innocuous looking items like Dac's may escape customs' attention. Other items like pre-amp, power amps will attract lot of scrutiny.
As per law of you wish to import any item greater than Rs. 1 lakh you need a import export code (IEC).
For audio gear, which is not available in India , you may directly get in touch with the manufacturer , he will provide generous discounts on the listed price as there will be no dealer margins involved. He will pass on those margins to you.
Buying audio gear with no dealer in India will also mean that you will not get after sales service and hence there is limited liability on the manufacturer unless you ship the item to him. This is another point you could argue why you need a better deal.
Hope this helps.
Well thanks for bringing this rule up (IEC) I was not aware of this. Regarding after sales service support, I have a very bad experience with my recent purchase. My local dealer refused to exchange my product with in 20 days of the purchase. So I don't mind if I have to forgo with the warranty etc. I guess we should be habitual to no after Sales Support considering how our dealers/shopkeepers work here. But if IEC is required than things may be difficult. I will try to reach out to the manufacturers if they are ready to ship directly to me.

You can apply for IEC on Directorate General Foreign Trade website .. it will take 15 mins to apply and within 48 hrs you will get your IEC.

Dear Vivek, always buy from dealers abroad as Indian warranty means nothing... If something goes wrong, no one will do anything and you are basically left on your own so you rather buy abroad where the dealers respond immediately and effectively... Feel free to get in touch if you need any help in importing any equipment...

I found this regarding custom rules. IT doesn't say anything regarding import export code when the goods are for personal use. My be helpful to other watchers.

Edit: New link from Indian Customs web site.

Dear Vivek, always buy from dealers abroad as Indian warranty means nothing... If something goes wrong, no one will do anything and you are basically left on your own so you rather buy abroad where the dealers respond immediately and effectively... Feel free to get in touch if you need any help in importing any equipment...
Thanks Sir, I am in the process of figuring out the feasibility in terms of costing. I will get in touch with you for sure. That's true in India no insurance is true insurance no warranty is a true warranty. The very first move of the insurer or the dealer/manufacturer is to blame the customer itself of violating the terms of usage/mishandling or what so ever they could cook up.

Last edited:
There is value limit which you are likely to breach on account of buying audio gear and hence you require IEC.
The baggage rules says duty free allowance is Rs 45000. Over and above that one is liable to pay the duty.

You can apply for IEC on Directorate General Foreign Trade website .. it will take 15 mins to apply and within 48 hrs you will get your IEC.
I went through some information online, to me it looks like IEC is a requirement for business only?

Verified information now, as an individual you do not need a IEC. Verified from some business locally. :)

@Vivek Batra
We understand your frustration of limited availability of "good sound" in India.
When available, they may or may not be wallet/value friendly.
Before you take a giant leap into uncharted waters, consider some more options locally.
You are looking for a 2-channel system, and from your postings over the last few weeks, the solution should be:
- elegant
- sound reasonably good
- relatively user friendly
- demystified
- relatively placement/position friendly

Just for kicks and grins, hear out the LS50W, if you have not already done so.
They may just click for you. It is truly a modern day, easy to use, demystified stereo system.
They will come way under your presumed budget to get a satisfying rig.

Cheers,
Raghu

@Vivek Batra
We understand your frustration of limited availability of "good sound" in India.
When available, they may or may not be wallet/value friendly.
Before you take a giant leap into uncharted waters, consider some more options locally.
You are looking for a 2-channel system, and from your postings over the last few weeks, the solution should be:
- elegant
- sound reasonably good
- relatively user friendly
- demystified
- relatively placement/position friendly

Just for kicks and grins, hear out the LS50W, if you have not already done so.
They may just click for you. It is truly a modern day, easy to use, demystified stereo system.
They will come way under your presumed budget to get a satisfying rig.

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi Raghu

You got me right :) I guess you are referring to KEF LS50W? If so then yes I am looking to change my speakers as well (Klipsch RP 8000F , too bright for me). But I am not looking to buy the speakers overseas. Just the electronics and the brand we are deprived off :( being in India. The whole idea is to get something better or cost effective if possible else will have to settle with whats available at home :(.

I am just more than obliged to join this forum and get the support and help of all the members here. No words to describe, Just Thanks a ton for helping noobs like me. I wish I could gather some amount of knowledge during my journey and help out the seekers like yo do.

Only for imports under 1L, IIRC. Your clearing agent will still need to apply on your behalf for a "dummy" IEC for imports costing more. Been there, done that.
Interesting.

Try this website. I found it very useful when visiting Europe this summer. The price of electronics (high end/ low end) is shockingly low there compared to India. This website will give you an idea of the prices.

Try this website. I found it very useful when visiting Europe this summer. The price of electronics (high end/ low end) is shockingly low there compared to India. This website will give you an idea of the prices.

Thanks bro.

Using this website you can check prices at retail stores of the country/ city which you are visiting. You can even find the ratings to the retail stores and availability. To ensure availability (if you agree on price / location) you can even book in advance so that they will make it available as on a specific date. Also the retail stores/ showrooms are a world apart compared to what we see in India. There is a very high end showroom in Vienna called Heimkinowelt which was supposed to be snobbish but I was pleasantly surprised by their welcoming and helpful attitude. There were multiple demo rooms within the shop (which was as big as a marriage hall) with all kinds of setup. When they didn't have the AVR which I wanted the person called up a few retailers within Vienna and informed me of the same. Cant imagine this kind of service in India in the AV World.

Using this website you can check prices at retail stores of the country/ city which you are visiting. You can even find the ratings to the retail stores and availability. To ensure availability (if you agree on price / location) you can even book in advance so that they will make it available as on a specific date. Also the retail stores/ showrooms are a world apart compared to what we see in India. There is a very high end showroom in Vienna called Heimkinowelt which was supposed to be snobbish but I was pleasantly surprised by their welcoming and helpful attitude. There were multiple demo rooms within the shop (which was as big as a marriage hall) with all kinds of setup. When they didn't have the AVR which I wanted the person called up a few retailers within Vienna and informed me of the same. Cant imagine this kind of service in India in the AV World.
Thats great. I checked the web site and compared the price of what I bought here Denon x4500H. The list price there is around 80K. 40K difference from India. This is the first time I have seen something cheaper in Europe compared to India.

Please bear in mind the weight charges, customs and most importantly, since most AV products are made in China....warranty becomes important for some......sadly international warranty is not extended / entertained in India for most brands......

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back