Buying TV from another city.

dotMac

Hello,

I am considering buying a Television from Bangalore and getting it transported to my city.

Any of the forum members have done this before? Any issues you have come across because of this?
The issues that I am bothered about are,
a. Transportation.
b. Service/after sales support.

My opinion is that Service should not be an issue. Because once we get a product, the company is directly responsible for the service. i.e. From where I got the product does not matter as long as I have the bill and stamping on the guarantee card.

Transportation is the one I am mostly concerned about. Though the TV will be transported in the original package, I am concerned how it will be placed during the transportation and the load that will be placed above it. The TV is a 50" plasma.
I have read that these TVs should NEVER be laid horizontally(flat on ground; even when in package) as the pressure on the glass could result in cracks effectively ruining the panel. SRC : HDGuru : setting-up-HDTV.
So how do you suggest I handle transportation?

And any other thing that I must be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

There is an existing thread within Forum, Browse through if you can find any answers

http://www.hifivision.com/television/10159-transporting-lcd-tv-air.html

Thanks for the link. Thats a discussion primarily around transporting the TV over the air. I am transferring it over land from a city about 400 km away. Somethings I gained from that discussion was, transportation would be very expensive(though no accurate figure was put on) and they recommend to get it insured. Now if these add-on cost are very high, it would undermine by decision to get the TV from B'lore :(

Thanks for the link. Thats a discussion primarily around transporting the TV over the air. I am transferring it over land from a city about 400 km away. Somethings I gained from that discussion was, transportation would be very expensive(though no accurate figure was put on) and they recommend to get it insured. Now if these add-on cost are very high, it would undermine by decision to get the TV from B'lore :(

What you are talking about is if you get the item couriered. It wont be cost effective if you get a TV by courier. I dont know why you have to buy the TV from 400km away. TV dealers are available in almost every town.

Nevertheless, the best way for you would be to transport it via road in car/truck along with you. I have seen people carrying it even in the train. :eek:hyeah:

What you are talking about is if you get the item couriered. It wont be cost effective if you get a TV by courier. I dont know why you have to buy the TV from 400km away. TV dealers are available in almost every town.

I do have electronic showrooms in my town. But the price they quote is the MRPs and after the bargain get down to dealer price. They newer go down below the dealer price. And next thing is that they don't seem eager to sell the plasmas. Am not even getting the price quotes for 2010 plasmas from any manufacturer while they are ready to sell the Samsung LED 3D TV. I was planning to join the people in Blore who is going for the 50" plasma. They are getting it for ~62K while I am sure that I will have to pay atleast 72K in my town.
Anyways thats off-topic and hence I thought not to mention in my initial post.
Trying to save that 10K if I can ;)

Nevertheless, the best way for you would be to transport it via road in car/truck along with you. I have seen people carrying it even in the train.

Taking a private car/truck is the option I eliminated as it would come close to 6 ~ 7K.

Cannot get it in the bus as they do not usually allow the luggages to be brought inside. And putting it flat in the luggage compartment of the bus is not an option as I would have to lay it flat. The two-way Volvo ticket is less than 1K. So I will check with some private operators over here on whether they would let me put it inside the :)

Any other options?

what is your town?
now speak with pvt operators and book last 5 seats of a non AC cheap bus.
carry someone with you.
you will get entire bench ( Just confirm seats are without arm rests))
also get best rates from blore dealers ...infact you can asak them about transportation

also which brand you are considering...

check ebay too.if someone is selling 42 inch plasma ( and some ppl give you near best quotes) nno harm asking them if 50 incher can be arranged in your town,..

also see if yo can contact local sales guy working in company ...ask him that Blore rate is this ...can you give me same quote through some dealer?? let's see if it works...

Surprising that you have not mentioned your town? How do you expect members to give you an accurate answer to your questions without knowing from Bangalore to where????

50" packing will be huge. Do you have the dimensions? It may be difficult to carry even inside the bus. Normally they have very narrow door/ corridor/ aisle and also high back seat in luxury buses. You will also attract a lot of attenion. And if there's any octroi taxes applicable then you may find it difficult/ risky to carry in public transport. As there could be "informers" and you will be in a bigger trouble.

My advice is to arrange private vehicle known to you (incase of octroi). There are vehicles like Innova which maybe able to carry with the middle seats down, and cover the carton with a black/ dark sheet. If it's not feasible, drop the idea and buy locally.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Sorry for not mentioning the town. The TV has to be delivered to Udupi. I thought many would not know the city and hence didn't mention before. Its another district of Karnataka.

Taking private vehicle is ruled out due to the cost involved.
I was thinking of placing the TV in the aisle. But getting it inside and outside the bus could be troublesome. So even this is ruled out.

I will talk to the dealer and check whether he can send it over to my place. Thats the only option I have i guess.

Thanks guys.

I'd be surprised if you did not get a competitive price from a store in Mangalore. Have you tried? Its not as if the road from Bangalore to Udipi is great either.

I didn't know Udupi was so famous :)

Anyways thanks a ton for all the suggestion. Am feeling bit scary with transporting the TV. Guess I need to cough off more if I need one. Now I am feeling extremely jealous of guys in B'lore ;)

Heh we know Udipi quite well. Just wanna know how are you planning to come to Bangalore and buy the TV and go back? I mean, what's your mode transportation? I think you might inquire with VRL too as that's what suggested to one of my friend's sister by the Devi Intl guys when she wanted to buy a plasma and transferred to her place at Pune. But anyway, she got it through air along with her. Otherwise you might try some of the Mover's and packers but that won't be cheap.

I didn't know Udupi was so famous :)

Anyways thanks a ton for all the suggestion. Am feeling bit scary with transporting the TV. Guess I need to cough off more if I need one. Now I am feeling extremely jealous of guys in B'lore ;)

Dont feel too scary about transporting. All the TVs are pretty safe for transportation in their original packing. Thats how they are shifted from the factory to the showroom. Just keep the rectangular box flat with arrows up.

Just wanna know how are you planning to come to Bangalore and buy the TV and go back? I mean, what's your mode transportation? I think you might inquire with VRL too as that's what suggested to one of my friend's sister by the Devi Intl guys when she wanted to buy a plasma and transferred to her place at Pune. But anyway, she got it through air along with her.

I was planning to travel by the Volvo from the state transport.

Dont feel too scary about transporting. .... Just keep the rectangular box flat with arrows up.

The reason I am scared is whether courier companies respect that arrows ;)
Yes as you said, if the TV is transported vertically, there should not be any issue. If the TV is laid out horizontally, the glass might get cracks due to the pressure on them. And if they place other stuff on top of this, I am sure that I would get a broken panel. So unless the transport company knows how to deal with the TVs, I am not so comfortable on relying on them. 10K tax is worth compared to a broken panel :)

The option I am hanging on is to ask the dealer to ship it to their own outlet in Mangalore/Manipal/Udupi. From there, I can arrange for a private vehicle. The "Pai International" has an outlet in Udupi. So if buy from "Pai International" outlet in B'lore, they must be able to send it their Udupi outlet. But I am not very sure whether they would agree on it.

Though off-topic, the doubt deepakvrao has raised about LG50PK550R being FullHD is scarier. :lol:

Hi Dotmac. Just hunt for a private tour bus operator and request the owner/manager personally. Tell him it's a fragile piece and you would urself be travelling with it. He may solve the purpose. Do not trust the state roadways.

In a Volvo, I think they might be able to carry it in their carrier in a vertical way. Just talk to the Volvo guys and check the space available on the side carrier.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back