Bypassing bluray player's DAC

ttarasu

Hi all
Am a complete novice in music equipments
My setup as follows Sony BDP s590-Denon x3100-Dali zensor 3-Velodyne impact 12.
Now I have planned for schiit modi2uber DAC

Will this benefit my sound improvement?

How can I bypass my bluray's DAC?

Source-from iTunes/WAV file/MP3
Thanks

TT

There must be a pass through option in the menu settings I hope. That should bypass all the players DAC's and send the signal unprocessed.

Any digital connection from the Blu-ray player to the DAC will bypass the internal DAC of the player. I would start with Toslink and Coaxial and take it from there.

Make sure the Schiit DAC is multibit.

Even though you may be using HDMI, it is the settings on the player which decides whether the player is doing the decoding or the AVR.

Generally speaking, a pass through is when the RAW signal is passed to the next product in the chain (usually the AVR) and it does the decoding, hence the AVR DAC's come into play.

Terms like pass through, bit streaming, PCM (pulse code modulation) etc are used to denote control of the decoding.

However, some players do the decoding themselves and let the consumer decide as to where he wants the decoding to be done.

To clarify, I had a Pioneer player which decoded up to DTS HD MA. So I used to decode all blu rays up to DTS HD MA and send analogue signals to my AVR as my AVR can decode up to DTS only.

I hope my explanation is clear to you.

My setup as follows Sony BDP s590-Denon x3100-Dali zensor 3-Velodyne impact 12.
Now I have planned for schiit modi2uber DAC

Will this benefit my sound improvement?

Adding an external DAC to basic DVD/BD players any day improves the sound quality. But in your setup, you have to bypass the players DAC, connect it to the AVR's AUX input and make it play in Source Direct mode for you tell the DAC's quality(I don't know any other way around, somebody please enlighten). I really feel its not worth it. Rather any basic stereo amp with an external DAC would bring a world of difference. If your AVR had a 5.1/7.1 direct input, it would have made a difference. I wouldn't recommend adding a DAC to an AVR. Invest in a stereo amplifier to reap benefits from a DAC, you would never regret.

Cheers & good luck.

How can I bypass my bluray's DAC?

Not sure if I understood the question correctly but let me take a slash.

The last DAC in your chain is going to make your music.

Source (say player with DAC) > digital out (say optical) > DAC output is analog > amp > speakers

the DAC in the player is "bypassed"

does that qualify as an answer ?

ciao
gr

To clarify, I had a Pioneer player which decoded up to DTS HD MA. So I used to decode all blu rays up to DTS HD MA and send analogue signals to my AVR as my AVR can decode up to DTS only.

I hope my explanation is clear to you.[/QUOTE]

Using a RCA cable from player to AVR confirms that the players DAC is in action.

TT

Now am using BDP-(HDMI)-AVR-spks,here which DAC (BDP/AVR 's DAC is in action)TT

A DAC cannot function with an analog input

That said, I am a bit vague on this HDMI thingy.

I know HDMI will do passthru ? I do not know if that happens by default or has to be chosen by any setting.

ciao
gr

By default, if nothing is changed, the players dac/processing is used. Bitstream, bypass, etc needs to enabled for AVR to do the processing.

If a dac is to be used then, output from player via optical or coaxial needs to go into the dac and analog to an amp from the dac.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

In my BDP
1-audio(HDMI)-auto/pcm
(Set the output type for the audio signal from HDMI)

I go with AUTO

2-DSD output mode-off/on
(Set audio mode for output from when playing a super audio cd)

I go with OFF

3-BD audio MIX setting-on/off
(Set whether to mix interactive audio and output)

I go with ON

4-Dolby digital/DTS-down mix PCM/bitstream
I go with both but never found any difference (maybe deaf)

5.Downmix stereo/surround
I go with stereo

Another chapter as hope for cd&super acd)
Music settings (under this)
1.Super audio cd playback layer-Super audio cd/cd
Go with super audio cd
2.super Audi cd playback channel-DSD 2ch/DSD multi
Go with 2ch.

TT

In my BDP
1-audio(HDMI)-auto/pcm
(Set the output type for the audio signal from HDMI)
I go with AUTO

Auto

2-DSD output mode-off/on
(Set audio mode for output from when playing a super audio cd)

I go with OFF
Off

3-BD audio MIX setting-on/off
(Set whether to mix interactive audio and output)

I go with ON
Off

4-Dolby digital/DTS-down mix PCM/bitstream
I go with both but never found any difference (maybe deaf)
Bitsream

5.Downmix stereo/surround
I go with stereo
Set off (or) Surround

Another chapter as hope for cd&super acd)
Music settings (under this)
1.Super audio cd playback layer-Super audio cd/cd
Go with super audio cd
2.super Audi cd playback channel-DSD 2ch/DSD multi
Go with 2ch.TT

Some of the options may not apply if you set Bitsream in your bluray player.. This will allow the digital signal to flow from Bluray to AVR and the AVR's DAC would be used for all playback from bluray player, AVR will also decode all the surround info..

Last edited:
Just now I found that BDP has analog support (red/white)
When connected to AVR thru this,
sound went down ,have to rise the volume
Used a normal cable which came with the player (is this the reason?)
*I love to listen thru HDMI.
Just want to find which DAC takes off (AVR/BDP)
Please clarify me while using analog the AVR's DAC comes into play.when using digital(HDMI/optical) BDP 's DAC takes responsibility.
Am I correct
Thanks

TT

Please clarify me while using analog the AVR's DAC comes into play.when using digital(HDMI/optical) BDP 's DAC takes responsibility. Am I correct Thanks TT

Am not sure if Blu-ray volume control is functional when you take Analogue out... Check if volume control (Increase/decrease) has any effect on Analogue out..

When using AVR analogue inputs, use Pure Direct mode on AVR, which will bypass all the internal processing..

Am not sure if Blu-ray volume control is functional when you take Analogue out... Check if volume control (Increase/decrease) has any effect on Analogue out..

Checked the volume & found maximum

Changed AVR to direct mode,further the sound dropped.
Am happy with HDMI route.
Presently dropping the plan for schiit DAC
Hope I have to go for stereo amp,first
Your comments.

TT

If you are using HDMI for audio output, then DAC in receiver is being used.

Decoding and DAC are two different things. The audio data in any media files, be CD or Bluray is encoded. It needs to be decoded to PCM before converting to analog. This decoding can happen in the receiver or player, but at this point, data is still digital. As the acronym DAC stands for Digital to Analog, the component which outputs digital isnt acting as DAC.

If you plan to use an external DAC, you need to turn on decoding inside player. Then output through optical out or digital coax to DAC. The analog output from this DAC can then feed into AVR or an amplifier.

Hope this clarifies.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back