Cabinet Build For GR Group Buy Kits

Ranjithv

Hai,

I started the cabinet build with help of a carpenter today. Iam going for the floorstanding model for the Encore and sealed type cabinet with out sand filling for the subwoofers. I bought 3 sheets of 18mm MDF board for the build.

Posting some pics of the build.

pic 1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Nice progress there. Is there a reason why you chose 18mm vs 19mm which seems to be a regular choice. Has Danny mentioned it somewhere.

Nothing... here in the local markets 18mm is readily available. if v need 19mm ones v have to order and will take a week time. And i didnt find much difference between 18 and 19

Nothing... here in the local markets 18mm is readily available. if v need 19mm ones v have to order and will take a week time. And i didnt find much difference between 18 and 19

18 mm is sold as 19 mm! Shop keeper will tell you it is 19 mm. Take a ruler and measure the so called 19 mm - it will be 18 mm.

Everything seems better in "God's own Country" including the woodworking.

Ya Here we have some "Gods own Carpenters". Some who r really involved in temple works and all. Not only in kerala but through out the world. This man is from one of those families.

Hi Ranjith
How is the build progressing? I am also planning to do a floor stander with my encore kit.

Yes, please post pictures. I am organising materials and getting it cut through a wood workshop as I could not get carpenters. I settled with 17mm MDF for the cabinet. How did you join the planks, using nails or using glue?

I asked around the shops for MDF today. What they say is they have 17mm Greenply MDF which is the best quality. No one said 18mm or 19mm was available.

I learned from Danny that a Y-connector cable is required to connect SA-1 subwoofer amp to the AVR pre out. Does anyone know where to buy it in Bangalore?

Yes, please post pictures. I am organising materials and getting it cut through a wood workshop as I could not get carpenters. I settled with 17mm MDF for the cabinet. How did you join the planks, using nails or using glue?

My carpenter told me tht screwing the planks is a must bcz it is very risky to build a 20-25kg box with only fevicol gluing, so used 1.5 inch screws with fevicol for an additional support.

My carpenter told me tht screwing the planks is a must bcz it is very risky to build a 20-25kg box with only fevicol gluing, so used 1.5 inch screws with fevicol for an additional support.

Ok, Thanks Ranjith. I got the MDF cut to sizes. I will try to put it together this week end. What kind of glue you are using? Fevicol, any particular name/number to mention to the shop guy?

I am planning to put veneer on all sides except the front. Planning to paint the front.

Ok, Thanks Ranjith. I got the MDF cut to sizes. I will try to put it together this week end. What kind of glue you are using? Fevicol, any particular name/number to mention to the shop guy?

I am planning to put veneer on all sides except the front. Planning to paint the front.

Ya Fevicol SH, means the white liquid. Tht will bond better.. For using real wood veneer. first consult with the carpenter as my carpenter told it will peel of after some time bcz the surface of the MDF is too smooth for the glue to stick or u have to make the MDF surface rough.

And if u r using the synthetic veneer its not a prob.

So as suggested by him i went for painting in piano black..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back