Cabinet Build for Gr-Research X-LS Encore kit

Flash

There has been lot of Group buy activity on Gr-Research drivers especially the X-LS Encore Kits.

Omishra and Sachu888 our FM's had requested me to build the cabinets for them.

So I am commencing on the build for them..

I have not personally bought the kit, Since i don't have space for another set of speakers.

However I am spreading the Cheer

Hopefully this will help other FM's who have ordered the same kit as well

MDF - 19mm
External Dimensions of the Bookshelf Cabinet

13.5" height x 8.5" width x 15" depth

Internal Dimensions
12" height x 7 width x 12" depth

(This is in keeping with the dimensions suggested by Gr-Research)

Panel Cutouts for a Pair of Booshelves

Dimensions (inches) and counts
8.5*13.5 x 8 nos for Front & back panels (doubling front and back panels)
8.5*12.0 x 4 nos for Top and Bottom panels
12.0*12.0 x 4 nos for Side Left and Right panels

The Panels for a total of 4 bookshelf cabinets will be cut from a Single 8x4 Greenply MDF sheet using a Table saw

Omishra, Sachin and othr FM's feel free to chip in about any changes,recommendations, inputs
After all these babies once completed will be adorning you respective houses

Will post pics of the build step by step and the cost of each component used.

Great Effort Flash...

Eagerly waiting for the pics and prices of the materials. And it will b a great help for the other FM's who r in the group buy, like me..

Thanks Flash! I am thrilled with new adventure. :yahoo:

Our first interpretation of the GR research box. Please forgive me, I don't have patience to draw using computer tools. Just penned down.

Original doc is here and this is interpretation (not to the scale :p) -

Spot on my Friend...

The first time with the cutlist ... there was a major goofup with the Side and top panels...lol lol.

Anyway, The Greenplay MDF sheet arrived day before yesterday. It was delivered to the factory where I get my panels cut.

Cost incurred so far Rs 1900 /- for the entire 8x4 sheet including delivery charges
Enough for 4 bookshelf cabinets + your extra panels which you wanted for another build + Bracing stips + grill Frame etc + some left overs
Cost per pair so far - Rs 950 /-

I will get the panels cut down to size on Saturday or Monday

Spot on my Friend...

The first time with the cutlist ... there was a major goofup with the Side and top panels...lol lol.

Yes, and thank God you found that mistake early. That's why I prepared above drawing to make sure panels are going at correct places with correct dimensions. Then feed this to cutlist program.

Last edited:
Have you guys decided on what finishing to use? That's something that still bugs me a lot. I thought of automotive paint, preferably piano black or deep blue in high gloss but need to figure out where to get it painted.

Food initiative Flash. You must try to help all the Mumbaikars. I'll send you their kit directly and you can deliver them the finished goods. One more thing, why are you stopping at just the X-LS? Why don't you offer to do all the kits?

Have you guys decided on what finishing to use? That's something that still bugs me a lot. I thought of automotive paint, preferably piano black or deep blue in high gloss but need to figure out where to get it painted.
Well prepping the cabinet and painting should not much off an issue.Go to any automotive paint workshop and get it done there . See If you can do a high gloss black Duco finish .... (Looks Brilliant)

But for BS - Consdering you will have a grill on the entire front panel. So the high gloss finish is not something that will strike out. I feel they look better on FS , Subs etc.... Big Problem in maintaining it though. One Bump or knock and you risk damaging the paint finish

Omishra and Sachu want Black wood grain finish To match the Aesthetics i in their house. So I guess that this way forward with this build. However If they want a Piano Gloss Black or Matt or Textured Black I am open to it.
After all it is for them .

So something on the lines of this .The Pics below are blowups. So does look a little odd.
However will post pics of the different Wood Grain Veneer finishes available .

Flash. You must try to help all the Mumbaikars. I'll send you their kit directly and you can deliver them the finished goods. One more thing, why are you stopping at just the X-LS? Why don't you offer to do all the kits?

Thanks Captain,

Well Honestly I am building a couple of other speakers cabinets/crossovers for myself and Om and Sachin happened to ask me for suggestions to build the cab. So instead of them going through the ordeal of getting the MDF, and scouting all around for different components like Table saw, Polyfil , Bitumen sheets etc etc. I offered to do it for them. Luckily I did not have to design a cabinet since Danny has the designs for the kits
Designing a cab for a specific driver is a pretty arduous task. Getting port lengths, Cabinet dimensions, port tuning etc etc

If I had the time. I would have taken on the Mumbai cab builds as well irrespective which driver / cabinet etc.
But unfortunately I can't. Atleast at this point of time. Yes after these 2 builds and my builds which should not take too long (2-3 weeks). I can take on some more builds for FM's

Since its a hobby and I will be predominantly doing everything myself. Neither am i charging them a cent extra for building it. that's why putting up all the prices of the components used to avoid any misunderstanding

Thanks Captain,

Well Honestly I am building a couple of other speakers cabinets/crossovers for myself and Om and Sachin happened to ask me for suggestions to build the cab. So instead of them going through the ordeal of getting the MDF, and scouting all around for different components like Table saw, Polyfil , Bitumen sheets etc etc. I offered to do it for them. Luckily I did not have to design a cabinet since Danny has the designs for the kits
Designing a cab for a specific driver is a pretty arduous task. Getting port lengths, Cabinet dimensions, port tuning etc etc

If I had the time. I would have taken on the Mumbai cab builds as well irrespective which driver / cabinet etc.
But unfortunately I can't. Atleast at this point of time. Yes after these 2 builds and my builds which should not take too long (2-3 weeks). I can take on some more builds for FM's

Since its a hobby and I will be predominantly doing everything myself. Neither am i charging them a cent extra for building it. that's why putting up all the prices of the components used to avoid any misunderstanding
Same time I am ready to put my hands into this as per requirement. Fun started with cutlist itself which I messed up in first attempt.

This is how it looks for 1 sheet -

Om ...

Lets bring you in on this build .....next weekend.... come on over to my place and lets get the drawings on the panels for the Driver cut outs / Port hol cutouts, Binding post cutouts and make a Cabinet template as well out of cardboard to see where we need to add bracing to stiffen the entire enclosure

Got it ... consider it done .....
I will be going to the market next weekend. So will get the Rosewood finish ...
This is confirmed right ? Cause I wont be able to give it back and ask for a refund.

Yes Flesh,
I like Rosewood finish.I will ask OM and will confirm you tomorrow.

Regards,
Sachin

Food initiative Flash. You must try to help all the Mumbaikars. I'll send you their kit directly and you can deliver them the finished goods. One more thing, why are you stopping at just the X-LS? Why don't you offer to do all the kits?

Whats cooking Doc ? :D

Yes Flesh,
I like Rosewood finish.I will ask OM and will confirm you tomorrow.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Flesh:lol:

Ping me if you need any assistance

:)

Great job Flash. It will be a treat to see the pictures of the effort as the build unfolds. Hats off to the effort being put in by you. All the best.

Back