Calling FMs with experience with Lumagen

shankarcams

Hi.

I would.like to understand from any FM who has implemented Lumagen as to the cost benefit in relation to the various other equipment in the chain.

Do share your experiences

Shankar

I have heard good things about it and it is supposed to be the Trinnov for video processing. It is one of the products that I am currently considering for my setup and the alternative being a nVidia RTX3070 based HTPC running madvr.

Are you aware of Lumagen’s pricing in India - specifically the 4242 version? Thanks, please keep me posted.

My JVC NX9 now has dynamic tone mapping, which was till now the exclusive preserve of Lumagen. And there is talk of a further upgrade. Hence in two minds.

The basic Lumagen was quoted at 7L plus about,a lakh for DTM. Plus GST

My JVC NX9 now has dynamic tone mapping, which was till now the exclusive preserve of Lumagen. And there is talk of a further upgrade. Hence in two minds.

The Lumagen does a better job at DTM than any JVC does.
Im thinking to get a NX 7 in some time and some time later get a Lumagen too as the way it does DTM nothing else matches it except a MadVR Envy, which is again costlier than Lumagen.
While the tone mapping on the JVC is very good, it cant match up.

Get it from abroad. Its priced around 5k$ there. Or try to get it from a B stock.

While the tone mapping on the JVC is very good, it cant match up.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. JVC's Frame Adapt for HDR may not be as plug and play as the Envy/Lumagen, but it's still pretty darned good.

My JVC NX9 now has dynamic tone mapping, which was till now the exclusive preserve of Lumagen.

It's been there for close to a year now, IIRC. The other options were madVR (on a PC), madVR Envy and the Lumagen.

And there is talk of a further upgrade. Hence in two minds.

Right. New f/w (The HomeTheater Optimizer) is expected in November, which can be reasonably expected to close the gap further between JVC and the external VPs.

There is no separate charge for the DTM on the Lumagen. It's simply been provided as a series of (no cost) f/w upgrades.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. JVC's Frame Adapt for HDR may not be as plug and play as the Envy/Lumagen, but it's still pretty darned good.
Well, i would say JVCs DTM is plug and play. Do a firmware update and there you go. The Lumagen is a crazy powerful video processor which will need professional calibration to unlock its true potential and definitely not a plug and play.
JVC has done amazing with its DTM but i again say, it doesnt match up with Lumagen or the Envy. I dont know how the Lumagen does its magic, but it does.

Well, i would say JVCs DTM is plug and play. Do a firmware update and there you go.

Poor choice of words on my part. With the Lumagen for DTM, it's a set once and forget from what I've read. The Envy is pretty much plug and play for DTM. The JVC still needs the HDR adjustment for some titles. It's one setting on the menu, but it still is a manual intervention. So, not quite set once and forget.
JVC has done amazing with its DTM but i again say, it doesnt match up with Lumagen or the Envy. I dont know how the Lumagen does its magic, but it does.

Have you seen the JVC's in-built DTM? And the Lumagen and Envy?

Poor choice of words on my part. With the Lumagen for DTM, it's a set once and forget from what I've read. The Envy is pretty much plug and play for DTM. The JVC still needs the HDR adjustment for some titles. It's one setting on the menu, but it still is a manual intervention. So, not quite set once and forget.

Have you seen the JVC's in-built DTM? And the Lumagen and Envy?
No, im very sure the Lumagen is not plug and play. I dont know much about Envy so cannot comment on it.

I have not seen the comparison / Lumagen in person as well. But i know a fair amount of people who have both and ive never seen anyone claim a projector will beat a video processor which is solely made for that purpose. It's like asking TV speakers to do a job of a high end audio setup.
The processor in the JVC can only do so much. Its very good though.
The new Sony Projectors ( 590ES and above ) also claim to do DTM as they have a upgraded X1 processor which Sony uses in their TVs but initial reviews deny that.

In a sense we need to decide for ourselves whether the incremental value of a Lumagen is worth its price. The answer will depend partly on the projector and partly on ones pocket.

From what I have read the JVC NX9 with DTM gets me to 90% or 95% of the distance and the investment in a Lumagen is not worth the 5%.

I could be wrong because rarely in India do we get the opportunity to do an A/B of this nature. But that's where I am now.

Actually its not DTM of the Lumagen that fascinates me, its the ability to watch every movie on Scope screen without the black bars. Non Linear stretching. This is huge. Every 16:9 movie turned into a 2.40 movie and that is huge for me.

At 7L, its a no-buy.Its priced around 5,5.5k abroad. I know a guy who got the 4442 at half the price of 5k$.
Instead of spending 7L on it in India, why then not get the Paladin DCR lens and call it a day ? More brightness, and full 4k resolution on a Scope screen. ( You dont get native 4k in watching movies on a Scope screen without the lens, irrespective of the Projector ) Its a end-game.

Last edited:
I have a 16/9 screen with horiz masking to get to 2.35 so I am actually OK.

Right the ability to change aspect is another great thing but not entirely relevant to me. So missed mentioning it.

I guess I miss the pixels because of the masking....

Reviving this thread....

Is there any FM in Chennai with whom I can talk informative about Paladin DCR, Lumagen and what they bring to my specific context.

Happy to get a beer or whatever....

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back