Cambridge Audio 650A + Morduant Short Aviano 8

evanoruvan

Hi Everyone,

I will start with a disclaimer. I am fairly new to the hi-fi space - appreciate any help I can get to make a good choice. The system will primarily be used to listen to music.

I have auditioned Denon 1910 and 2310; paired with the KEF IQ70 and IQ90. I went on to audition CA 650A and MS Aviano 8. I liked what I heard.

I might audition NAD 326BEE before making the final decision. Not sure which speakers will be paired with this (I generally allow the sound engineer to suggest the pairing)

Is the CA + MS combo a good one ? The MS Aviano 9 (being new) has not been widely reviewed yet. Any comments or suggestions ?

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I will start with a disclaimer. I am fairly new to the hi-fi space - appreciate any help I can get to make a good choice. The system will primarily be used to listen to music.

I have auditioned Denon 1910 and 2310; paired with the KEF IQ70 and IQ90. I went on to audition CA 650A and MS Aviano 8. I liked what I heard.

I might audition NAD 326BEE before making the final decision. Not sure which speakers will be paired with this (I generally allow the sound engineer to suggest the pairing)

Is the CA + MS combo a good one ? The MS Aviano 9 (being new) has not been widely reviewed yet. Any comments or suggestions ?

Thanks.

Someguy,
Myself a newbie, but from what i have heard and from the little I know, CA is on the bright side and so are MS. I am ignorant about the Aviano though. Will try to find out more about it. Why dont you try pairing Nad with Aviano? I feel it would give a balanced sound, but lets see what the experts have to say. The CA 650 is good amp for the record.

Thanks iaudio. The CA 650A has a number of really good reviews. Which is why I went for it first.

I will try and audition the NAD (unlikely to get the same speakers though - availability at the showroom which has NAD may be an issue).

Thanks iaudio. The CA 650A has a number of really good reviews. Which is why I went for it first.

I will try and audition the NAD (unlikely to get the same speakers though - availability at the showroom which has NAD may be an issue).

Evano oruvan, Anytime bro! Please wait till you hear from more knowledgeable members though:p

How much was the price quoted for ca 650a and for aviano?

Thanks iaudio. I will wait to hear from more people.

The CA 650A was quoted at ~35k while the MS Aviano 8 was quoted at ~58k.

Evan- Oruvan,

Tell us your budget for

Amp

Speakers

Your Source etc. Got a lot of audition to do in Blr wat ever ur budget is. :D

The current combination is costing me approximately ~90k for the 2.0 setup. That is just about my budget.

Do suggest alternatives (along with the showrooms in bangalore) for 2.0 in this budget.

Thanks !

Evan- Oruvan,

Tell us your budget for

Amp

Speakers

Your Source etc. Got a lot of audition to do in Blr wat ever ur budget is. :D

From the prices quoted, it seems he has a budget of RS. 100,000.
Evano oruvan, It would be good if you could mention details like source, music, size of room etc

Oh, I forgot to add a few more details.

The source will be a Sony player (am targeting the 650C for next year). The room is a dilemma - I am planning to use either the living room (listening distance of 15ft) or a smaller second bedroom (listening distance - 10ft). Music tastes are fairly broad - with a bias towards Indian (Classical, Instruments, Old Film Music).

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to add a few more details.

The source will be a Sony player (am targeting the 650C for next year). The room is a dilemma - I am planning to use either the living room (listening distance of 15ft) or a smaller second bedroom (listening distance - 10ft). Music tastes are fairly broad - with a bias towards Indian (Classical, Instruments, Old Film Music).

What music did you use for auditioning the ca650+aviano 8? And what media, player etc?
I assume you have a sony cd player.
Usually, Old film music, classical ( ones that are not well recorded) are not the best choices for a very revealing set up. I mean it would parade the inadequacies/imperfections of the poorly recorded old film music naked in your listening room:D

Agreed.

I am using a combination of Dire Straits, Santoor (Shiv Kumar Sharma, Rahul Sharma), Shehnai and Sarod recordings. The recordings are of reasonable quality (and in any case, these will be the ones I listen to most often).

I have taken note of the suggested test CDs in this forum. Unfortunately, I do not have most of them :(

Hi EO:

Good choice indeed for an amp plus speaker - both brand new models in the market. Having said that, both CA and MS are from the same company and they both compliment each other well, that is, both components have wonderful synergy that might bring in musicality, hours of enjoyment, etc. Saw your post in another forum too, so why not the '6' ?

You've said you liked the combo, and your ears are your best judge. Before taking the plunge, I might advise you to audition NAD and Marantz amp to the said speaker.

:)

Hi EO:

Good choice indeed for an amp plus speaker - both brand new models in the market. Having said that, both CA and MS are from the same company and they both compliment each other well, that is, both components have wonderful synergy that might bring in musicality, hours of enjoyment, etc. Saw your post in another forum too, so why not the '6' ?

I hope I get the technicalities right in this comment!

Aviano 6 (2.5 way) gave me a composite sound while the 8 (3 way) gave me clear separation between high, mid and bass. The sound engineer advised me that is a common thing with 2.5 and 3. I seem to prefer the separation rather than the composite sound. Any other comments ?

You've said you liked the combo, and your ears are your best judge. Before taking the plunge, I might advise you to audition NAD and Marantz amp to the said speaker.

Auditioning different combinations seems to be a big problem. I would have liked to audition KEF IQ70/90 with CA 650A. Unfortunately, different showrooms have different brand combinations.

I plan to do a NAD/Marantz audition this week. Not sure which speakers though.

Thanks a lot for your comment !

Hi EO:

Yes, as Vinod David aptly put it, your ears are the best judge.
What hifi right? I saw the post there.

Good if the '8' had good separation across the frequency spectrum - you were the best judge at that point in time. Have you also thought about these speakers...

* Diamond 10 series
* Mission

The KEF's and CA's have excellent synergy too, but they both will be with different dealers, so hard to audition as a setup. But, my money is sure with the CA + MS combo that you heard.

Where are you doing the audition ? I too am looking out for a similar combo.
NAD / Marantz/ CA etc...

CA can be auditioned at Audio Planet, Koramangala.

I was going to see NAD at absolute phase - was told today that they do not stock NAD anymore. Music Ranch (Jayanagar) and ARN systems (Frazer Town) are other possibilities for NAD. ARN seems to have Marantz also.

I think you are on the right path,

MS Avi 8 and Diamond 10 both will satisfy you; diamond being "loud" and bit colored.

Dali is another brand you can try : Lecktor or Icon series

Of course old favs like Monitor Audio Silver(they have a new model;check other thread) etc do stand up.

you can spend ur 90 k slowly and wisely.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back