Cambridge Audio Azur 640R - Dynamic (DRC) Not Working

jithurao

Hi folks,

This is particularly for those of you owning the CA Azur 640R AV receiver from 2008/09. For quite some time now, the 'dynamic' or DRC button on my remote has not been working. Pressing it does not do anything whereas it should actually cycle between 0-4 modes of dynamic compression. Could anybody on the forum help me with some information regarding resetting the receiving to its factory settings? I know the procedure to do this, but I don't know if this resets the DRC settings as well. I have a feeling that before this broke, I had set it to the highest setting and now it's stuck in that mode, so wanted to know if performing a reset on the AVR resets this to 0 as well. It would be great if any of you could try resetting it on your receiver and letting me know what happens. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi folks,

This is particularly for those of you owning the CA Azur 640R AV receiver from 2008/09. For quite some time now, the 'dynamic' or DRC button on my remote has not been working. Pressing it does not do anything whereas it should actually cycle between 0-4 modes of dynamic compression. Could anybody on the forum help me with some information regarding resetting the receiving to its factory settings? I know the procedure to do this, but I don't know if this resets the DRC settings as well. I have a feeling that before this broke, I had set it to the highest setting and now it's stuck in that mode, so wanted to know if performing a reset on the AVR resets this to 0 as well. It would be great if any of you could try resetting it on your receiver and letting me know what happens. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi before trying Factory settings, have you reached out to CA Support?

They may have some fix available and no harm trying.

If all fails, refer to the owners manual where reset procedure would be listed. This is to be done as last resort.

Have you tried cleaning the remote? Open it up, and clean the switch pads and carbon contacts with iso propyl alcohol. May be a simple problem.
If the avr has an option to change the settings via the unit itself, see if that works.

Hey guys,

I do know how to reset the receiver myself, but this is a function that is present only on the remote and the button is not working. I took my AVR to the dealer who had sold it to me who checked the remote and told me that the button is now dysfunctional because of a leaked battery. Luckily, it seems to have affected a button that we don't use regularly and the rest of the buttons work as intended. I just wanted to know if resetting on the AVR will reset the DRC settings along with the speaker calibrations as well. Currently, there's no way for me to tell. I'm just going 'by ear' and it seems like the sound is softer than normal which could mean that DRC is engaged. Another way of fixing this is to 'borrow' a remote from somebody and just turn it down to 0. Unfortunately, the dealer did not have any remotes handy to do this, so I had to bring the AVR back.

Hey guys,

I do know how to reset the receiver myself, but this is a function that is present only on the remote and the button is not working. I took my AVR to the dealer who had sold it to me who checked the remote and told me that the button is now dysfunctional because of a leaked battery. Luckily, it seems to have affected a button that we don't use regularly and the rest of the buttons work as intended. I just wanted to know if resetting on the AVR will reset the DRC settings along with the speaker calibrations as well. Currently, there's no way for me to tell. I'm just going 'by ear' and it seems like the sound is softer than normal which could mean that DRC is engaged. Another way of fixing this is to 'borrow' a remote from somebody and just turn it down to 0. Unfortunately, the dealer did not have any remotes handy to do this, so I had to bring the AVR back.

Have you tried hunting for a remote online?

Have you tried hunting for a remote online?
I did, yes. But all my searches yielded universal remotes from unknown brands that look more like cable STB remotes of the Hathway kind. I'm not even sure if they're worth checking out. I heard something like a Logitech Harmony can be 'programmed' to be used with AVRs. However, those are not available easily.

I did, yes. But all my searches yielded universal remotes from unknown brands that look more like cable STB remotes of the Hathway kind. I'm not even sure if they're worth checking out. I heard something like a Logitech Harmony can be 'programmed' to be used with AVRs. However, those are not available easily.

There were a couple of Harmony remotes on sale if I recall correctly a couple of months back in the Classifieds...I am sure there are some FMs still using those remotes and from what I read, it seems to work well.

Can you share the exact remote model number and pic? Let me see if I can find it online somewhere!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back