Cambridge audio CXN V2

aruns

Guys. Kind attention, Th firmware of my Cambridge audio CXNV2 got updated automatically. But after updating I notice there is a marginal volume reduction while using spotify connect. I mean the same song played at the same volume level (in the amplifier) sounds less intense (lower sound level) after updating. Also the sound stage seems to have narrowed. Please help. Does anybody else noted this? The same song sounds louder when using chromecast in Spotify app....

The same has happened to me too, spotify connect has definitely reduced in volume since the upgrade, I have emailed Cambridge Audio to let them know maybe you should too , they've told me to look at the sound settings actually in spotify and see if turning off normalise sound setting works so normal quiet or loud aren't activated, but I've not got round to trying that yet so I don't know if that's the answer yet

Hi….any update or solution with regards to above mentioned issue?

I recently got hold of one of the limited CXN-V2 black edition :) and liked it so far.
At that moment I was running a Deezer test subscription and everything was fine.
Switched back to Spotify and noticed mentioned decrease in volume and dynamics.

I have to crank up volume levels up to 4-5dB to match the output levels of my former Node2 streamer…that’s quit a lot. Internet Radio, USB -Playback or mentioned Deezer are not affected. Volume levels are fine.

CXN is running the january software version…at the moment there are no newer release or beta versions available.
I am in an dilemma right now….returning the CXN, as return window is closing, or hope for the better …awaiting an update to fix the issue?

One last thing…normalisation in my case was turned off. Must have done that some time in the past!

Any comments or update 2 share?

Rodge

Last edited:
Guys. Kind attention, Th firmware of my Cambridge audio CXNV2 got updated automatically. But after updating I notice there is a marginal volume reduction while using spotify connect. I mean the same song played at the same volume level (in the amplifier) sounds less intense (lower sound level) after updating. Also the sound stage seems to have narrowed. Please help. Does anybody else noted this? The same song sounds louder when using chromecast in Spotify app....
Yes, that has happened, since around the time you mentioned. It’s sad when developers screw up an already good thing.
I have emailed Cambridge Audio to let them know maybe you should too , they've told me to look at the sound settings actually in spotify and see if turning off normalise sound setting works so normal quiet or loud aren't activated,
I didn’t find any such setting in the Spotify app. And how would that setting change when CXN updates its software? Also, do the settings in the app even apply when you are streaming through Spotify Connect? Not sure if the Cambridge support guys knew what they were saying. Also ‘see if it works’ sounds like they themselves are unsure that’s the problem.

Other native streaming, especially the internet radios still have the earlier (higher) volume.

I use a wiim mini and off late I’m cranking up the volume with spotify connect. There was a couple of firmware updates released which updated the spotify connect software in wiim mini. Prior to the update spotify was working fine. I guess, the issue is with the latest version of Spotify connect software rather than Cambridge audio or wiim mini.

Has this reduction in volume reduced the quality or resolution? If not how does the reduction in volume matter apart from turning the dial a little more.

Yes, that has happened, since around the time you mentioned. It’s sad when developers screw up an already good thing.

I didn’t find any such setting in the Spotify app. And how would that setting change when CXN updates its software? Also, do the settings in the app even apply when you are streaming through Spotify Connect? Not sure if the Cambridge support guys knew what they were saying. Also ‘see if it works’ sounds like they themselves are unsure that’s the problem.

Other native streaming, especially the internet radios still have the earlier (higher) volume.
You are right. Those settings are not available while streaming to other devices.

I use a wiim mini and off late I’m cranking up the volume with spotify connect. There was a couple of firmware updates released which updated the spotify connect software in wiim mini. Prior to the update spotify was working fine. I guess, the issue is with the latest version of Spotify connect software rather than Cambridge audio or wiim mini.
I have a Node2 and a friend brought his Onkyo streamer along to do some side-by-side testing. Both are not affected, so i don’t think this is a general issue.

Spotify connect works just fine on both streamers….tested with different iOS or Android devices+apps.

Has this reduction in volume reduced the quality or resolution? If not how does the reduction in volume matter apart from turning the dial a little more.
I would say it is not just volume that’s missing but dynamic too.
Cranking up the volume doesn’t do the trick.

I tried cross-checking this with YouTube Music to check if it’s Spotify specific or CXN specific issue.

Earlier from YT Music on my iPhone I could select to cast it to CXN, so it then played natively. I didn’t have to select the AirPlay option. Now when I tried it, it doesn’t allow. Here’s the error message I get:

IMG_5019.jpg

Note that my CXN’s firmware is updated. So most likely the recent updates have broken the casting & native streaming in more ways than one.

As audio electronics gets smarter (therefore increasingly software reliant), audio equipment companies need to hire better system designers and programmers. From UI to updates to glitches - they lag horribly as compared to even the smallest of app developers. They can’t simply rest on their hardware prowess.

I would say it is not just volume that’s missing but dynamic too.
Cranking up the volume doesn’t do the trick

True. Spotify Connect on CXN had far better dynamics (not just loudness) than via Airplay. That is no more the case. In fact, I find AirPlay sounding a tad better than Connect now.

Last edited:
I have a Node2 and a friend brought his Onkyo streamer along to do some side-by-side testing. Both are not affected, so i don’t think this is a general issue.

Spotify connect works just fine on both streamers….tested with different iOS or Android devices+apps.
was the software/ firmware updated on both Node 2 and Onkyo streamer?

Reduction in volume actually make the quality better if paired with powerful amplifier.
Why should it? Can you please explain?

On the contrary, reduction in volume would need the amplifier to provide more gain to get same loudness - and it’s possible that an A/B amplifier gets pushed from A to B mode.

I don't think resolution is affected. Soundstage, maybe my feeling not sure.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back