Cambridge Audio Minx and Boston soundware XS 5.1

sribuddy

Hi All,

It was always difficult getting my wife convinced about moving the big floor standers sideways and rolling down the screen everytime to watch a movie.
Last saturday, the argument picked up and she started a fight... :mad:.

All she wanted is to watch movie not spend 15 mins making arrangements to watch the movie. this mostly happens when you dont have a dedicated room.
Credit should go to my dad here. Leaving past behind, i somehow convinced my wife that I will find a suitable replacement for the speakers atleast.

DUring a casual browsing session, I came across AV Xtasy, a CA and BS audio dealer in chennai. I gave a call, quickly checked on the models available, did a quick review of the product and went there for a demo.

I was in for a treat...:clapping: I was received by Mr. Balaji and he took me through the well treated room for some demo materials. He had his Optoma projector mounted and had has a fixed screen of about 92' i think.

We discussed on the BS and CA for sometime and decided that the products should do the talking.
wow... I should say, the boston will smaller than a cricket ball, yet, it produced, such clear sound in the room.

Firstly,. we played Jurassic Park 1 (7.1 - DTS demo disc), everybody's must have demo material, I was feeling as if there was real rain around me and I could hear the T-REX near me. literally in front of me... I kept on thinking how this could be possible in such a small form..

the only real problem i had was with the sub.. which kind of rattled in many places. could not withstand the lows.

Next up, we played Mankatha, jaw dropping... i must say, Ajith's voice never felt so clear and we could here the actor's breathing on the scene where lot of tension prevailed. Must say.. real treat.

Oh.. yes, the room was rectangle in size and was about 10*12 or 14... not sure..

IT was undortunate that I could not listen to Minx. Balaji told me that they dont stock or demo them because, they are way too costly.. ;)

Though, my experience with BS was good, i always felt that CA should definitely be better. Not because they are costly but because of the technology.

to get myself correct on the investment I make to keep my wife happy, I have asked my distanct friend to carry a pair of Minx 10 from US. It should reach me in another 10 days. that should comfort me if I am making the correct purchase decision.

Meanwhile, I want to start of an topic of discussion here. If for a 10*10 room, one want to go in for a small system. out of the given 3, which one should most people go:
(1) CA minx
(2) BS XS
(3) Mirage

I really love the current setup.. but i will have to move them around. It was good that my initial expense on the 5.1 setup I currently have is not much.

Any thoughts would be great around this. and any idea if I could demo Minx as a setup before I decide is also appreciated.

If I am happy with Minx, I will get one Minx 21 for centre and 5 minx 10 or 11 based on availability. 2 of Minx 10, I have already procured. so I have 7 speakers. I will use my current SUB and move to 7.2 later down the year.

thanks.
Sri

Back