Cambridge Audio Stereo Amp

venishapk

Friends, i have mordaunt short aviano 8 series spkr, am looking for cambridge audio 640A v2... am bit confused on selecting the amp. please suggest me on this or should i go for 740a as there is not much difference between 640a and 650a

Last edited:
looking purely at specs the speakers dont seem to be that sensitive at 88db. i would think you need the 740. but again it depends to what levels you want to drive the speakers and also room size. best way is to audition

:)
Friends, i have mordaunt short aviano 8 series spkr, am looking for cambridge audio 640A v2... am bit confused on selecting the amp. please suggest me on this or should i go for 740a as there is not much difference between 640a and 650a

Hi:

Those Aviano's needs some serious amp to drive them, and IMO those 640/650 wouldn't fit the bill. I have the 640 v2 for nearly 2 years and I can say it doesn't drive my 91 db RS6 to my liking. Said that, 650 could be marginally better than the 640, but still could struggle to drive the Aviano's.

Having said that, yes, the 740 is the way to go to get max benefits out of your speakers. By any chance, if you have the budget for an 840, would be a stonking of an amp for your Aviano's and you can forget upgrades for a very long time so to speak.

I think you can audition all the amps under one roof with your speakers.

:)

hi I am looking at purchasing the cambridge 640 or 650 and want to use mordaunt short floor standers. Could you please suggest what would be the best pairing for the said labels?? I stay in bangalore..Where will i be able to purchase them here...

hi I am looking at purchasing the cambridge 640 or 650 and want to use mordaunt short floor standers. Could you please suggest what would be the best pairing for the said labels?? I stay in bangalore..Where will i be able to purchase them here...

Hi Justin, Welcome to the Forum. For Cambridge Products You can Visit Audio Planet in Koramangala and meet Mr.Palani. You can have demo of Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Mordaunt Short Products there. All the Best :).

The avianos are definitely a good set of speakers but will come out best with good amplification. Do you have this in a stereo setup or HT? I would not go anything below 7 series for receivers ro CDP as such. The 840 is not that different in terms of the sound signature and depth. However it has a better power transformer and can drive harder loads.

I would not call CA a truly warm sound. It definitely has a slightly higher emphasis on the treble but they do match well with the Avianos.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back