Can an HD STB (HDMI) be connected to an LCD Monitor (DVI)?

digitalv

Can an HD STB's HDMI O/P be connected to an LCD Monitor (DVI I/P) via an HDMI to DVI cable? And the Analog Audio O/P of the STB be fed to a 2.1 Speaker system for taking care of the audio.

In short I need to make my spare 20" LCD monitor (4:3) and Logitech 2.1 speakers work as a second TV to keep the TV channel addicts at home happy while I dedicate my 42" LCD for HTPC duties alone.

Technically I don't see any issues in the above scheme but since I have never had any STB's in India, I'm not too sure and need your guidance.

Does the HD STB provide analog audio through its Audio Out connection while video is through HDMI?

Later I plan to buy an HDMI splitter and connect it to the 42" LCD as well so that I can sample the HD channels.

PS: You must have guessed it right that I don't like any TV channels and had quit watching TV 5-6 years back. Now that HD channels are available, I'd like to sample them and see whether I'm eligible to rejoin the time-wasters bandwagon (but just HD stuff).:eek:hyeah:

Can an HD STB's HDMI O/P be connected to an LCD Monitor (DVI I/P) via an HDMI to DVI cable? And the Analog Audio O/P of the STB be fed to a 2.1 Speaker system for taking care of the audio.
Yes it can absolutely be done the way you have described.

In short I need to make my spare 20" LCD monitor (4:3) and Logitech 2.1 speakers work as a second TV to keep the TV channel addicts at home happy while I dedicate my 42" LCD for HTPC duties alone.

Technically I don't see any issues in the above scheme but since I have never had any STB's in India, I'm not too sure and need your guidance.

Does the HD STB provide analog audio through its Audio Out connection while video is through HDMI?

Later I plan to buy an HDMI splitter and connect it to the 42" LCD as well so that I can sample the HD channels.

PS: You must have guessed it right that I don't like any TV channels and had quit watching TV 5-6 years back. Now that HD channels are available, I'd like to sample them and see whether I'm eligible to rejoin the time-wasters bandwagon (but just HD stuff).:eek:hyeah:

Yes I am using Samsung P2350 Monitor with my TataSky HD (DVI to HDMI Cable) and its working fine.

Yes you can,HDCP shouldnt be issue as its STB & not BDP.

Most STB's are HDCP compliant, just that the content provider may not have enabled the HDCP flags on regular TV.

The STB may work with your non-HDCP compliant monitor for live TV type of conditions but if you purchase some movie on Showcase then the HDCP might kick in.

Somebody can try this out & see, if they have a non-HDCP compliant monitor paired to TS HD STB.

Thanks for all the responses so far..

My LCD monitor is more than 5 years old and is not HDCP compliant. I'll report the situation as soon as I try out. (Awaiting the HDMI-DVI cable to land)

What about 4:3 vs 16:9 differences? Is there a setting on the STB to set it for 4:3 output or will this be taken care of automatically during the DDC handshake?

Hi all,
i tried this setup which is mentioned in the start of the thread. I opted for Airtel DTH with HD. And i have got HDMI to DVI cable(Which is working fine with laptop to my LED monitor AOC 22" - E2243FWK).

But unfortunately it didn't worked with AIRTEL DTH HD box. Monitor complains as "Input not supported". I don't have alternate TV to change the settings to 1080p or 1080i aswell. And the Airtel engineer said this is not supported.

Does anyone tried with Airtel DTH HD ?

Hi all,
i tried this setup which is mentioned in the start of the thread. I opted for Airtel DTH with HD. And i have got HDMI to DVI cable(Which is working fine with laptop to my LED monitor AOC 22" - E2243FWK).

But unfortunately it didn't worked with AIRTEL DTH HD box. Monitor complains as "Input not supported". I don't have alternate TV to change the settings to 1080p or 1080i aswell. And the Airtel engineer said this is not supported.

Does anyone tried with Airtel DTH HD ?
Airtel might be encoding output using HDCP so your monitor should support it to receive HDMI signals encoded that way.

off topic can TATA SKY HD+ gives output to HD as well as component at the same time ?

Hi there,

First post here, but hoped you may be able to help.

Have just bought a Hanns-g screen ( HH221DP ) with the intention of doing exactly the above,,, connecting to my Virgin HD box using a HDMI - DVI cable.

Plugged it in, and get the menu's but no picture... have monkeyed about with the STB settings and changed the output to hdmi, and picked all the different av options (720/1080/widescreen) but cannot get a picture... I checked before and ensured the screen is HDCP compliant (which it says it is) ..... anyone got any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong ??

Cheers,

Andy.

LOL... I just checked the forum where I have posted... perhaps the fact I am in a diffrerent country may have a bearing on the answer! lol

Last edited:
Hi there,

First post here, but hoped you may be able to help.

Have just bought a Hanns-g screen ( HH221DP ) with the intention of doing exactly the above,,, connecting to my Virgin HD box using a HDMI - DVI cable.

Plugged it in, and get the menu's but no picture... have monkeyed about with the STB settings and changed the output to hdmi, and picked all the different av options (720/1080/widescreen) but cannot get a picture... I checked before and ensured the screen is HDCP compliant (which it says it is) ..... anyone got any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong ??

Cheers,

Andy.

LOL... I just checked the forum where I have posted... perhaps the fact I am in a diffrerent country may have a bearing on the answer! lol
I believe the DVI-HDMI cable should also support HDCP else it may not display HDCP content. Also, your STB might also be doing something which prevents HDCP content to be relayed through this connection.

Hi,
I have got a tata sky HD connected to my 26 inch sony lcd via component and was getting HD (1080i).But yesterday evening after a software update my lcd is showing only 576i inspite of my setting the resolution on my STB to 1080i.My lcd does not have HDMI in as it is an older model. Have they diabled HD content via component ? please help out guys.

I believe the DVI-HDMI cable should also support HDCP else it may not display HDCP content. Also, your STB might also be doing something which prevents HDCP content to be relayed through this connection.

I am using HDMI to DVI convertor. How I can check whether my convertor is HDCP compliant or not ? and if I buy new cable/convertor How I can get the HDCP compliant?

Currently I am trying to use my Samsung SyncMaster 2030 LCD Monitor with new bought Videocon HD STB.
I am getting blank Screen. There is no option to set the resultion and refresh rate on monitor. I have checked the google, my monitor is HDCP compliant.

can you guys help me to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Ramesh Chandra

I dont see HDCP issues in India. Not seeing practicallly implemented anywhere else you get some original BDs. HDMI is by default HDCP compliant and your DVI may or may not support HDMI conversion. (e:g DVI-D single link can have issues due to pins limitations but with Dual link it works) I am using DVI-D dual layer and DVI-M1-DA without any issues.

@ramesh.chandr ,First configure the STB with crt TV and change the resolution under setting to 720p then use with monitor.After connecting monitor with stb press the third button from bottom in your monitor.

Hi ValueBuyer,

Yesterday I tried, what you said.
I connected my STB with AV cable to TV and set different resolution (1080i 50Hz, 1080i 60Hz, 720 50Hz, 570 50Hz, 570 60Hz and 480 50Hz). but still not able to see anything on LCD Monitor :( In 480 I can see the log of Videocon d2h, while my STB is booting but after that I am unable to see anything. one more thing, once my smart card was not inserted properly, at that time I was able to see the smart card error message.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back