Can Floorstanding speakers be used for Rear/surround

[email protected]

I have Yamaha Rx-V681 which presently runs a pair of AudioSolutions Overture 203 fronts and overture 201 centre.

Now I need to add surrounds. I am getting an offer on old Tannoy MX4 (used) for 30k.

Would it be a nice idea to buy them and place them as surrounds. Or do I look for new Bipole surround speakers like Polk FxiA6 or Wharfedale diamond DFS or Paradigm surround 3v7.

Thanks

I have Yamaha Rx-V681 which presently runs a pair of AudioSolutions Overture 203 fronts and overture 201 centre.

Now I need to add surrounds. I am getting an offer on old Tannoy MX4 (used) for 30k.

Would it be a nice idea to buy them and place them as surrounds. Or do I look for new Bipole surround speakers like Polk FxiA6 or Wharfedale diamond DFS or Paradigm surround 3v7. Thanks

If you have the space to accommodate the FS as surrounds, then fine.. If not, better to look at specific surround speaker..

Its yes and no. If you have a large room where you can keep a distance of at-least 5-6 feet from the listing position, towers may work. Else go for dedicated surround satellites. In a HT setup, you should not be able to localize the sound from the surround speakers. It can get quite annoying while watching movies if you keep getting pulled towards the left or right surround sound and miss all the actual action happening in front of you.

In a HT setup, you should not be able to localize the sound from the surround speakers.

There are two syndicates, one for and one against this theory. Several audio experts share your view, but others say that localised surround sounds add to more immersed view especially when you have larger rooms. I have even seen customers complaining about dipoles as they are not giving the localised surround sound which they expect
Its upto you to decide which route you want to go. Personally I prefer localized ones than an immersed experience. I should clearly be able to understand where a gunshot is coming from or where the copter is moving to, rather than having a vague guess using some dipoles. My personal opinion, you are free to differ

There are two syndicates, one for and one against this theory. Several audio experts share your view, but others say that localised surround sounds add to more immersed view especially when you have larger rooms. I have even seen customers complaining about dipoles as they are not giving the localised surround sound which they expect
Its upto you to decide which route you want to go. Personally I prefer localized ones than an immersed experience. I should clearly be able to understand where a gunshot is coming from or where the copter is moving to, rather than having a vague guess using some dipoles. My personal opinion, you are free to differ

Yes that's true and its a personal choice. I use monopole bookshelf speakers as satellites and they do cause a bit of localization (most of the times I don't mind that). However, they are smaller than my front speakers and hence don't go ballistic at all times. Keeping them mounted on the wall a few feet from the ground also helps in the sound dispersion. The question here was about tower speakers in the back...so I am not sure if there will be too much localization esp. if the room isn't big enough? If one sits too close to one of those, that might be the dominant sound the person will hear all through the movie!
Most of the modern day media is mixed digitally and the audio engineers can place the sound where they feel fit. The dipole design has a serious drawback as it crates a blind spot because of the phase cancellation between the two sets of drivers. Bipoles are much better suited for side surrounds esp. if you have multiple rows of seating in your HT room (kind of avoids any bad seats). For rear speakers experts generally recommend single/ monopole speakers as the localization effect is almost desirable. I guess the same applies for high channels as well.
BTW...I love this forum for this very reason- great to know what others are doing and their experiences. :licklips:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back