Can I carry 50 inches samsung led tv to India from Chicago

[email protected]

I bought a 50" LED TV for 600$ and planning to take it to India (Hyderabad) as a Check-in Baggage and with 175 $ as extra amount for over sized.

Can anyone help me in getting answers for below questions.

Will Customs allow 50 inches?
How much will customs in India will charge for this ?

Thanks in advance

I bought a 50" LED TV for 600$ and planning to take it to India (Hyderabad) as a Check-in Baggage and with 175 $ as extra amount for over sized.

Can anyone help me in getting answers for below questions.

Will Customs allow 50 inches?
How much will customs in India will charge for this ?

Thanks in advance

Hi Srinu,

Probably it might not be a good idea to carry it. I too had a 55 inch LED TV but due to strict custom charges and high shipping fees made me sell that TV.

If you are travelling by BA then probably they might allow you to carry that item as checkin luggage but please check with them before boarding. This are very strict on linear inches since they have to transfer this item from one flight to another if you have connecting flights. When i was travelling in January customs were around 35% and I had a TV worth $1000. So I dropped the plan and sold it.

Based on your mentioned price, total landing cost of $600 TV would be 63k. Import duty & taxes calculation result
You can check some more links on google to find more accurate information.

What I would suggest is, you can by similar imported TV from ebay.in. This guys they import in bulk and offer seller warranty at a similar price whereas the TV that you might get from US will have no warranty and also you have to arrange a setup for 110 to 220 volt conversions.

Hope this helps! :)

-Swapnil

Thanks Swapnil for the useful information I will once again rethink on taking the TV to India. Also do we have any restriction in India at customs regarding the limit of inches like only 46 allowed ? If I'm ready to pay both custom and airline charges will they allow me to take the TV ?

Once again thank you for your information.

I guess customs dont have any restrictions but Airlines does have it. Usually Ground staff has to move this items from Luggage either through conveyor belt or though some automated system. If the item doesn't fit in there they would simply reject it, thats why they have this maximum linear inches policy. Kindly check this with the carrier.

PS: Chances of damages are usually very high unless marked Fragile

I would STRONGLY advice you against this from a Completely different angle.

The US TV will not receive Indian TV transmissions ( Cable TV or DTH or Doordarshan).

You will be restricted to USA DVDs...

IMHO, it will be a lemon.

I would STRONGLY advice you against this from a Completely different angle.

The US TV will not receive Indian TV transmissions ( Cable TV or DTH or Doordarshan).

You will be restricted to USA DVDs...

IMHO, it will be a lemon.

There are many TVs bought from Us many onb our forum

Noone complained why???

In fact there was some threads on HFV too..

hi, there are threads in this forum regarding carrying electronics goods from other countries. IMHO 30% duty is levied on TV, please check before carrying it.

You may not face any issues with the customs, if you declare and pay duty. Keep the invoice with you. Please refer the following link

http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason11June2014.pdf

I don't think you will have any issues with reception since the STB will do the processing

As suggested by swapnil, you can try to buy in India through EBay. Unless the price difference is substantial, it is not worth the trouble

There are many TVs bought from Us many onb our forum

Noone complained why???

In fact there was some threads on HFV too..

If you have a set top box (STB) that has an HDMI output then you should have no problems watching Indian TV content on the US NTSC system TVs. That's what most Video-audio- philes do I guess that's why no complaints. I have a SAMSUNG 51 " Plasma TV which I imported from Amazon USA thru shipper via air freight. No problem at customs , the shipper arranged to pay duty of 30.14% over the total of cost of Tv+ Freight+insurance. ( a tidy sum).

In your case Srinu, you need to check with the carrier if they will take an oversized TV. perhaps they may advise unaccompanied baggage. If the carrier will take it, Indian customs will be just too happy to charge you 38% flat rate( that was the rate last year, maybe reduced now a bit) over invoice charges :)

BTW try to get a VAT reimbursement from the US dealer for "Item not for use in US".you may have to prove through documentation that you have re-exported this item to India.

Last edited:
As for the airline handling it, since it is 55" , with the outer carton packaging it will be bigger in size. So you need to pay extra and contact the Airlines on their rules and charges for check-in of over-sized baggage. They certainly wont pass it through the usual conveyor belt.

But all major Airlines do have provision for this. Typically I have seen people under this category checking in Golf Club sets, Surf boards etc..

Back