Can I connect a 6ohm speaker to my nr609?

fedexp

Onkyo nr609 is rated for 8ohm,100w and 6ohm,125w speakers.

I am newbie and I am attempting to connect a 6ohm, 100w rated speaker to this receiver. So, I figured this would be the best place to ask this question before connecting and doing damage to the receiver.

You can connect the speakers safely and if you are still worried just set a limit to maximum volume. There should be a setting for this in your AVR. Denon AVRs has.

You can.609 even can be connected to 4 ohm speakers but not with full volume.Make sure that you change the setting in 609 as 6 ohms.

thank you guys, for your replies.
Another quick question. I'm trying to solder these speakers into their plugs. I understand that each plug has a positive and negative terminal to solder a speaker wire. But my receiver has 2 ports for each channel! So, for instance, if it is left channel, then it has two plug holders. So, do I solder each positive and negative wires to diff plugs? If yes, how do I exactly solder it when each plug has both positive and negative ends.?

Why you need to solder it? No need to solder the speaker cable to AVR. Just unscrew the binding post a little and place the stripped end of +ve speaker cable to the Red binding post and tighten it. Similarly connect -ve cable to Black binding post. Another option is to use banana plugs in which the cable is tightened/soldered to the banana plug. The banana plug can then be plugged into the binding post.

Why you need to solder it? No need to solder the speaker cable to AVR. Just unscrew the binding post a little and place the stripped end of +ve speaker cable to the Red binding post and tighten it. Similarly connect -ve cable to Black binding post. Another option is to use banana plugs in which the cable is tightened/soldered to the banana plug. The banana plug can then be plugged into the binding post.

Thank You, baijuxavior - that helped a lot :) I connected them directly to the binding post and the speakers started working.

One more question to you guys -

My speakers are stereo speakers from a panasonic hi-fi system. They have inbuilt tweeters and woofers. When I connected them for the first time, the audio output seemed a little dull - I mean, there was not enough bass, so I adjusted the tone settings and there was good bass. But, the dialogue is all dull now. I have a feeling that this Onkyo receiver fails to understand the fact that there are only 2 speakers connected. I mean, I know these speakers can sound much better coz I've used them on the original panasonic hifi system, but they are sounding pretty dull now. The dialogue is barely audible, but the sound effects from watching a movie are so room filling that I am sure they will wake up my neighbors. What can I do to better situation, other than adding rest of the channels (rear,center,sub and heights) - I plan to buy them slowly.

You need this connector-
Set of 4 Banana Plugs - Gold Plated -Screw Type Install | eBay

You can connect like this-

No need to solder.:)

Hi Spiro

I got my banana plugs from amazon us and it is similar to the picture that you have posted. But I am unable to push the plug into my yamaha 571 receiver. My banana plugs which is universal as per the website is slightly wider than my receivers input plugs. Hence I connected directly without the banana plugs.

Thanks

Make sure that you have set the AVR to 2-channel mode. Switch the listening mode to stereo mode.

I think that the dialogue is not audible because you have set the AVR to 5.1 and there is no center channel.

Alternatively, you can use Audyssey to do the job. Just plug in the Audyssey mic in the AVR and follow the instruction.

Also, check if the speakers are connected in proper phase.

Hi Spiro

I got my banana plugs from amazon us and it is similar to the picture that you have posted. But I am unable to push the plug into my yamaha 571 receiver. My banana plugs which is universal as per the website is slightly wider than my receivers input plugs. Hence I connected directly without the banana plugs.

Thanks
This is possible as 471 also has same problem & thicker plugs can not be pushed in.667 accepts all banana plugs.

Make sure that you have set the AVR to 2-channel mode. Switch the listening mode to stereo mode.

I think that the dialogue is not audible because you have set the AVR to 5.1 and there is no center channel.

Alternatively, you can use Audyssey to do the job. Just plug in the Audyssey mic in the AVR and follow the instruction.

Also, check if the speakers are connected in proper phase.

Thanks for the tip, koushik. I played with the dedicated buttons (stereo,game,movie, and etc) on the remote and I am finally set on some dolby mode which sounds better of all. The stereo was ok as well, but it misses all bass. I am gonna try the Audyssey mic as well - btw, what do you mean by proper phase? How do I check it?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back