Can i take my used floor stand Speakers through flight from UK to India? Advise needed.

Dev239

Hi,

As i am using my Floor stand speaker in UK and planning to take these speaker with me while going back to India.
Does anyone travelled with used expensive speakers from abroad UK to India through Airlines recently?

Do i need to pay any customs duty/Tax at airport in India? Any tentative houmuch i need to pay custom duty if i caught. Do i need to show the bill of the speakers items?

Any help on this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Hi,

As i am using my Floor stand speaker in UK and planning to take these speaker with me while going back to India.
Does anyone travelled with used expensive speakers from abroad UK to India through Airlines recently?

Do i need to pay any customs duty/Tax at airport in India? Any tentative houmuch i need to pay custom duty if i caught. Do i need to show the bill of the speakers items?

Any help on this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Hi... If this is a transfer of residence from UK to India, then you can avail some respite from the customs. But by how much, I really don't know. What speakers are these by the way.

Since Floor stand speakers are heavy you may need to pay more flight fare also , Definitely Indian customs will charge tax. But you may avail some discount saying its used speaker. For sure they will charge you minimum 60% of overall custom tax.

Also you need to pack very safely to avoid damages while flight transfer.

Check if it's worth spending that amount.

Hi... If this is a transfer of residence from UK to India, then you can avail some respite from the customs. But by how much, I really don't know. What speakers are these by the way.
Ok..These are MA. Anyway will wait for more response who has already been moved recently.

Since Floor stand speakers are heavy you may need to pay more flight fare also , Definitely Indian customs will charge tax. But you may avail some discount saying its used speaker. For sure they will charge you minimum 60% of overall custom tax.

Thanks for your response. Yes the weight will be filt with some airlines. Are you serious 60% of the total cost of the speaker? Do i need to show the bill for that? because i have already using so thinking to take it with while i go back..

I agree... Air freight will be really expensive. Last year I paid 860 euros to fly from hamburg to hyderabad with an additional suitcase of 25 kgs ( 3 checked in bags with a total of 65 kgs) . So flying both speakers will be way more expensive, apart from customs hassle once you land. So the speakers have to be really worth the hassle 😜

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Yes the weight will be filt with some airlines. Are you serious 60% of the total cost of the speaker? Do i need to show the bill for that? because i have already using so thinking to take it with while i go back..
No ... It's not on the cost of speaker.At least they will charge 60% to 70% on original customs duty since its used speaker. u may get 40% or more discount if you are lucky. I am not sure about exact original % of duty to be paid, i think duty may be 10 to 25 % of original speaker cost , and u may get extra 40 % discount on that part since its used speaker. There are some calculations they make based on number of years it's used , but not much depreciation value they consider. U may check indian custom's site.

I believe TR works for those with India Passports not if you hold UK passport but are of Indian origin. The High Commission there should be able to guide with this process and I believe their endorsement is necessary to avail TR .I know it used to be so in UAE earlier and I have some more years before I need to avail TR.

Not official website it seems but could be a guidance.

No ... It's not on the cost of speaker.At least they will charge 60% to 70% on original customs duty since its used speaker. u may get 40% or more discount if you are lucky. I am not sure about exact original % of duty to be paid, i think duty may be 10 to 25 % of original speaker cost , and u may get extra 40 % discount on that part since its used speaker. There are some calculations they make based on number of years it's used , but not much depreciation value they consider. U may check indian custom's site.
Thanks for your findings..I will check in India Custom sites.

I agree... Air freight will be really expensive. Last year I paid 860 euros to fly from hamburg to hyderabad with an additional suitcase of 25 kgs ( 3 checked in bags with a total of 65 kgs) . So flying both speakers will be way more expensive, apart from customs hassle once you land. So the speakers have to be really worth the hassle 😜
Yes thats true..Did you carry any floor stand speaker.If so any damage by the airlines happened?

Yes thats true..Did you carry any floor stand speaker.If so any damage by the airlines happened?
sorry...That was 2 years back i think. And i was carrying a turn table then. It was an expensive turn table, and not available in India even today. So it was worth buying a new suitcase and paying the additional air freight in my case. As I had already bought the cart, the SUT and phono stage. So it was too late to back off to be honest.

Ok.Thanks i will check on Indian custom site...Is It is advisable to take these speakers while travelling back? Is there may be possible damage that may - occur during the transit?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back