Can modern AVR drive 4 ohms satellite speakers?

jain1980

I am looking to purchase Yamaha V375 or Pioneer receivers for my Wharfedale MS-100 satellite speakers which are rated at 4 ohms. Will these AVRs be able to drive these speakers without getting damaged?

The Yamaha manual mentions that it can drive only 6 ohm speakers at the least.

Hi jain1980

If I recall correctly, Harmon Kardon AVRS output power from 4ohms - 6ohms....maybe you should check those out.

Here are some links which suggest that 6 ohm amps are not recommended for 4 ohms speakers...

Do 4 ohm speakers work with 6 ohm rated receivers? - eCoustics.com

Red Spade Audio: Can a 6 ohm amp drive 4 ohm speakers?

Connecting 4-ohm Speakers to an 8-ohm Receiver | Audioholics

Hope this helps....it is always recommended to use the same load (ohms) when pairing amps + speakers....

So what is advisable to do in this situation?

I have three solutions to this :

1) Change the surround speakers to 8 ohm speakers. Looking at the polk OWM3. Don't want to change the LFR as that might prove too expensive and out of my budget.

2) Get an even higher power receiver than the RX-V475.

3) Do nothing. Use this setup as it is.

I see even Hifi-mart is pairing these wharfedales with low power receivers. I guess even they would have done their homework before pairing them up.

Also I have seen some of the forum members who are using the MS-100 setup with Yamaha or Denon AVRs. If they can throw some light on any issues they are facing with this setup?

Last edited:
AFAIK driving 4 ohm speakers consists of the following:

1) The amp must be able to handle the lower impedance of the speakers. Running lower impedance speakers on a higher impedance setting comes close to shorting the terminals and could be dangerous. Running higher impedance sepakers on a lower impedance setting is ok. The output would probably be reduced but the AVR would be safe.
2) Lower impedance speakers would typically draw more wattage, which the AVR needs to support.

So you need to match the impedance and the wattage at 4 ohm jmpedance.

Am currently driving my 4ohm speakers with an Onkyo 727 receiver. It has a speaker setting indicating 4/6ohms which is quite useful. You can probably audition one and decide.

Will these AVRs be able to drive these speakers without getting damaged?The Yamaha manual mentions that it can drive only 6 ohm speakers at the least.

It is important to match the specifications of the receiver to the speakers. If the receiver specifications do not speak of anything 4ohms, do not buy.

My Pioneer could not wake up a 4ohm speaker load. When I checked the manual, this speaker load is not even mentioned and it is not designed for it. 4ohm's is a difficult load and I will be careful with the receiver selection.

Buy a receiver that supports a 4ohm load. It is that simple. Do audition though. Do not buy blind.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back