Can Netgear router be used in place of wifi adapter for Panasonic Plasma TV?

MaheshN

I have the following devices
1. PC Windows XP
2. Belkin N600 Dual Band Router
3. Airtel Beetel Modem 220BX
4. Netgear Wifi Router WGR614v10
5. Panasonic Plasma TV TH-P50ST50D

The Belkin Router is connected to the PC and the airtel modem. The Netgear router is an extra piece of equipment that I have with me. I have read in this forum by NetFreak in http://www.hifivision.com/television/14989-wi-fi-adapter-v20.html that a wifi router having repeater feature can be hooked on to the Plasma TV through the ethernet port. Is this really possible or is it necessary to buy a wifi adapter separately? If yes then i will be grateful if someone can guide me.

Thankyou
Mahesh

Last edited:
If your TV has an Ethernet port (RJ45) then it is possible to connect to any router/switch which provides Ethernet connection. In your case since your main router (Belkin) connected to Modem is located far away and an Ethernet cable cannot be used to connect to the TV.

You need a wireless repeater which connects to your main router wireless and connects to your TV using Ethernet cable. Such devices are called bridges / repeaters (with wired client support).

Apple Airport Express, D-link DIR 505 etc. provides this functionality

Well, Sir you can obviously us the router as a repeater but you will have to check the router's specifications once. It is a cheaper method to use the router as a dongle. You can Try it out. If it works, in the repeater mode then great. If not, then you will have to go for the adapter

1. PC Windows XP

The Belkin Router is connected to the PC and the airtel modem. The Netgear router is an extra piece of equipment that I have with me. I have read in this forum by NetFreak in http://www.hifivision.com/television/14989-wi-fi-adapter-v20.html that a wifi router having repeater feature can be hooked on to the Plasma TV through the ethernet port. Is this really possible or is it necessary to buy a wifi adapter separately? If yes then i will be grateful if someone can guide me.

Thankyou
Mahesh
Your TV already has in-built WiFi adapter. Configure that to connect it to internet. That's the solution you should be working at.
See here how to configure WiFi in your TV
http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/how-to/2012/tv/2012_EN_SPA_Search_for_Wireless_Networks.html

You could of course try the repeater route if you still want to, but remember, the bandwidth will be halved.
WGR614v10 has the option to use it as a repeater, but whether it will actually work along with belkin (read compatible), you will have to try out and see.

Last edited:
I have done exactly as you are thinking, I have MTNL Broadband & DLink Wifi in one room & use NetGear N600 near my TV to use as repeater & then hook to TV, AVR, Bluray player via Ethernet.. this has made connectivity much more stable on these devices.

1. PC Windows XP

Thankyou
Mahesh
To use the Netgear router as a repeater, it is possible but you will have to connect/configure as follows:

1. Connect the Airtel Beetel modem/router via RJ-11 cable to data port of splitter
  2. Configure the Beetel modem/router in PPPoE mode with DHCP = ON
  3. LAN IP of Airtel Beetel: 192.168.1.1, Subnet: 255:255:255:0
  4. Connect the Belkin router to Beetel by RJ-45 ethernet port (RJ-45 out of Beetel to Internet port-in of Belkin)
  5. Configure the Belkin router in bridge aka automatic DHCP mode
  6. LAN IP of Belkin Wireless: 10.17.0.1, Subnet: 255:255:255:0
  7. Assume that the access point name of Belkin is "Mahesh-Home"
  8. Now run an ethernet RJ-45 cable from Belkin to Netgear. Connect from one of the 4 RJ-45 out port of Belkin to internet port of Netgear.
  9. Configure the Netgear as follows:
    • enable wireless repeater function
    • set the access point name also as "Mahesh-Home" (this must be same)
    • LAN IP of Netgear WAP: 10.17.0.100, Subnet: 255:255:255:0 (this must be on the same subnet as the Belkin)
HTH.

BTW, the ST50 has wireless capacity built-in. The above procedure is only in case the TV is not able to receive the signal from Belkin properly.

Fellow member magma on this forum has configured WGR614v10 as repeater but that was with another identical one. I do also have the same router as backup one and to mee it seemed that the built in firmware has only options for coupling it as repeater only for an identical model only.

But again like just4kix suggested, worth trying. But I agree that built in Wifi should be the first option.

BTW, the ST50 has wireless capacity built-in. The above procedure is only in case the TV is not able to receive the signal from Belkin properly.

My Sony HX850 also has built in wifi, but I find the ethernet connection more stable. Sony service guy also recommended this.

Thanks to all for your kind replies. I made a mistake in my post regarding the model number of the plasma it is P50ST30D and not 50D. The problem is that the belkin router is one room and and the plasma is in another hence running the ethernet cable from belkin to netgear is not a feasible solution for me. I will buy a wifi adapter and try. The Panasonic recommended wifi adapter are very expensive. Has anyone tried a cheaper wifi adapter like the TP Link with the plasma TV. Does panasonic plasma only work with Panasonic recommended wifi adapter/dongle?

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back