Can someone identify and comment on this TT

Hi harsh.
There are 2 approaches to go about making it work.
1. Restoration-
If it was working fine until you packed it in 15 yrs ago, it wont need big makeover. Any good serviceman would do 'oiling greasing'. Stuff like cleaning the bearings, adjusting speed settings etc. next, replace the stylus/cartridge if its broken. The serviceman will guide you about its condition or you can test play an lp to check yourself. In case a replacement is called for, audio technica at91t @ <2k rs is the best bet.
Philips was known for the quality and I doubt any major part would be kaput here. Pm asit, a forum member fm kolkata to know about a good repairman for the job.
Approach 2:
Modify the tt.
This means upgrade the phono stage to an outboard styff, connect it to another amp and speaker.
Use tt only as a transport.
I strogly recommend approach 1.
App 2 is only if you listen to your restored tt and wish to improve sound.
Mind you, a shoestring budget wont suffice for approach 2.
I d like to know what kinda vinyls you have? What titles? Do you wish to exchange?

Hi harsh.
1. Restoration-
If it was working fine until you packed it in 15 yrs ago, it wont need big makeover. Any good serviceman would do 'oiling greasing'. Stuff like cleaning the bearings, adjusting speed settings etc. next, replace the stylus/cartridge if its broken. The serviceman will guide you about its condition or you can test play an lp to check yourself. In case a replacement is called for, audio technica at91t @ <2k rs is the best bet.
Philips was known for the quality and I doubt any major part would be kaput here. Pm asit, a forum member fm kolkata to know about a good repairman for the job.
Approach 2:
Modify the tt.
This means upgrade the phono stage to an outboard styff, connect it to another amp and speaker.
I d like to know what kinda vinyls you have? What titles? Do you wish to exchange?

hi
well i am just starting off in the vinyl world
my collection currently stands at ZERO :eek:hyeah:
trying to get my feet wet :)

In which case I suggest you approach 1.
Get few brand new vinyls and test play them on you restored player and on some decent dedicated rigs of fellow members. The player seems to be a mass market one and I doubt you d get that high end feel from it.
This will make you move to approach2
Asits forum id is musiclava. pm him. I have his number should the need be.

In which case I suggest you approach 1.
Get few brand new vinyls and test play them on you restored player and on some decent dedicated rigs of fellow members. The player seems to be a mass market one and I doubt you d get that high end feel from it.
This will make you move to approach2
Asits forum id is musiclava. pm him. I have his number should the need be.

i dont yet have my hands on tht tt yet
however there are a couple more i shall be checking out over the weekend
will keep you posted

Ohh is that so?
Then my advise is , you prefer a tt sans amp and preferably sans phono.
Get good phono and amp seperately if you dont already have it.
Flipside is, if you dont have amp etc yet, you wont be able to play anything on tt till you get whole rig.
still if you can budget that in a few months the results would be well worth the wait.

i dont yet have my hands on tht tt yet
however there are a couple more i shall be checking out over the weekend
will keep you posted

Hi,

Don't waste your money on this TT.This will not give you decent sq.You may find many decent TTs in Rs 5000/.

Regards,

Sachin

Hi harsh.
1. Restoration-
Approach 2:
Modify the tt.

if i do get the above tt, what does approach 2 cost me to make the tt achieve better audio quality?

First check for platter speeds and only if they are good, meaning the motor works fine, begin approach 2.
Get your repairman to bypass its phono and amplifies.
Change the cartridge and stylus.
Add outboard phono stage. Norge makes cheapest @ <3k rs.
Add a good amp and speakers. (price according to your budget. Used ones of decent sq come from 10k+ rs.)
Thus minimum cost for cart+stylus+phono will be @5k.
What amp/avr do u currently have?
Check if the garrard tt advertised for sale @8k rs is still available. Will save you the tt modification costs.
All the best.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back