Can we make DIY HSU subwoofer?

spirovious

Hi friends,

I was trying to get HSU VTF-1 subwoofer ,but shipping & Handling is so much that landing price can be 15-18k more.

I emailed HSU to know whether they sale sub amp separately(spare) & they confirmed yes.Price of amp $200.details-

The VTF-1 amp is shipped in a 15" X 15" X 12" box weighing 4 lbs.

Landing price of amp is around 15k less($305.02)

Now if we import amps & make DIY subwoofer,

1.Will it be a complete success?
2.Now can we get similar speaker drivers here?
3.Can we construct exact sub cabinate?
4.Is there any one in Mumbai?

Anyone tried similar here?

Thanks.

To add more info-

Original Driver-

The amp-

Construction-

Bottom-

Last edited:
I think you can match the sub cabinet. But bigger problem is sourcing the same port and driver as the Hsu sub. I think the driver is a custom Hsu driver so it will be tough to get that one. By the time you add the cost of these two, you will be very much closer to the selling price of Hsu ($400)

thats not a good way to go. the hsu amp might be highly equalized for their driver, it might not match well with other drivers. if you want hsu only, then take the driver also from them. they might give you the cab design also if you are buying from them.

there are a lot of other options, check out dayton audio at pe. they have good cheap sub drivers and sa240 or bash 300 amp will be good match with them. hsu makes nice commercial subs, but they are not the last word in sub, these can be easily bested by diy.

rythmik audio, creative sound solutions have some good options. too bad diycable is shutdown. apexjr has a decent 8" cheap sub. there are some at zalytrons also, dont know about their sq though. parts express has the dayton audio range. for amps, check out css, pe dayton amps, apexjr has a couple of good ones. rythmik servo and non servo amps. if you want passive sub with a pro amp, check out behringer and crown. gobs of power. you might need a separate hpf with pro amps though.

Check out the Hsu site they have a 12 inch sub on offer that they recommend for automotive use, my suspicion is that the specs may not differ too much from their standard driver.

Check out the Hsu site they have a 12 inch sub on offer that they recommend for automotive use, my suspicion is that the specs may not differ too much from their standard driver.

Thanks,
I found in past that if the paper cone is different,sound character can change even if specifications are similar.
Now car sub cone is shiny & VTF sub cone is simple looking.

Whay do you want to replicate a HSU subwoofer ?

You can do much better if you want. A subwoofer is the easiest thing to DIY.

+1 to that.

you can make a far superior sub in your budget. these days there are a lot of sales also going on in US. just wait for thanks giving.
CSS, rythmik etc make better drivers than hsu. the rythmik driver and servo combo is supposed to be killer and IIRC its in your budget, rythmik makes very musical subs. also check out ae. they also have awesome drivers. these two will surely walk over whatever the best hsu has to offer.

I also saw some tc sounds subs at the jack hidleys site. tc sounds is probably the name in subs. though i dont know which model he is selling. he might charge you some 10-20 bucks extra to calculate the ts params.

Thanks for replies,I wanted to replicate as I needed HSU sub,but shipping cost is higher due to sub weight & so I was thinking to get spare parts & make DIY.
So if there are some better sounding options for lower price,the name are welcomed.
few suggested above,any more?

Hi friends,

I was trying to get HSU VTF-1 subwoofer ,but shipping & Handling is so much that landing price can be 15-18k more.

I emailed HSU to know whether they sale sub amp separately(spare) & they confirmed yes.Price of amp $200.details-

The VTF-1 amp is shipped in a 15" X 15" X 12" box weighing 4 lbs.

Landing price of amp is around 15k less($305.02)

Now if we import amps & make DIY subwoofer,

1.Will it be a complete success?
2.Now can we get similar speaker drivers here?
3.Can we construct exact sub cabinate?
4.Is there any one in Mumbai?

Anyone tried similar here?

Thanks.

Hi,
I have built Transmission Line sub-woofers with using 5.25" woofers and they go as low as 22Hz due to the quarter wavelength principles. They also have the advantage of neutralized Q and therefore a very flat impedance curve. Due to this advantage the amplifers do not over heat even when driven at high levels for a prolonged period. Also TL design sub-woofer the cone movement is very controlled because the compliance of the cone is balanced by the stifness of the cone material and the cone vibrations are easily controlled. Also the resonance of the woofer is taken care of by the neutralized Q of the speaker system. Add to this absence of any booms bass and a more balanced low frequency response. If convinced we can meet any time this week /next week as i also stay in Mumbai.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back