Can you Change the center channel speaker in a Sony 5.1 audio system?

Samverse

I have a Sony 5.1 audio system (Sony Bdv e4100) that comes with a blueray av receiver. I'm not satisfied with the center channel speaker, can I instead add another model center speaker instead of the one I received in the package? If so, how to check comparability and add.

So theoretically you can - theoretically. I have also done this in the past with a yamaha center.

However you should be aware -
1 - There should be settings for channel level gain in your system and that itself should make a huge change - just try and fiddle with the settings and most probably you will be fine.
2 - Most decent centres will be quite expensive - you are looking at around 7-8K for something that is good enough.
3 - Atleast in my case the center wasn't optimally powered by the HTIB, but wouldn't go loud enough to match the rest of the system, luckily I listen at very low volumes anyway - so I could increase the gain of the centre to match a low level listening setup.

So evaluate and make a decision before putting in more money.

Also to Op, how is this product in terms of sound clarity? Is there distortion. I wanted to buy a similar system before I got convinced to set my own 5.1 using a second hand pioneer AVR and cheap Micca OoO speakers and a subwoofer.

I have a Sony 5.1 audio system (Sony Bdv e4100) that comes with a blueray av receiver. I'm not satisfied with the center channel speaker, can I instead add another model center speaker instead of the one I received in the package? If so, how to check comparability and add.
Well it will not be easy and also you cannot hook up the usual HT center channel speakers to your Sony. You could check with service center if they have a Center speaker from a high end model. You need the wire connector pins to match if you do not want into the cut and join direction.

That said, you can check center speakers from other htib systems from Bose, Yamaha, pioneer, etc.

MaSh

Well it will not be easy and also you cannot hook up the usual HT center channel speakers to your Sony
Thanks @MaSh for chiming in.

Purely for academic reason - why can't you hook up a regular center channel to an HTiB like this? Is it only because of the connector or there are more intricate things in play here? I am just curious and your answer might help others looking for similar upgrades in the future.

Thanks @MaSh for chiming in.

Purely for academic reason - why can't you hook up a regular center channel to an HTiB like this? Is it only because of the connector or there are more intricate things in play here? I am just curious and your answer might help others looking for similar upgrades in the future.
Simple. Check the model's spec on page 61 of the manual. Its giving out 40w at 3ohm at 1Khz. What do you think it will give out at 6 or 8 ohms which the usual speakers are rated at?

MaSh

Simple. Check the model's spec on page 61 of the manual. Its giving out 40w at 3ohm at 1Khz. What do you think it will give out at 6 or 8 ohms which the usual speakers are rated at?

MaSh
Ah cool - didn't go that deep - I found 250W @6Ohms at 1KHZ, the OP confirmed the same. Makes sense then I think for OP to avoid any HT center.

Ah cool - didn't go that deep - I found 250W @6Ohms at 1KHZ, the OP confirmed the same. Makes sense then I think for OP to avoid any HT center.
So they have been saying total 1000 watts output now the dynamics change. It may be around 300-400 watts. I think the htib segment try to increase the specs to sound really attractive as the real hifi systems won't have distortion as much as they do trying to give startling treble and deep base. Their built-in amp can't take 6 ohms impedence or more speakers and so they design their own speakers and show a cat having a tiger's magnified shadow reflection.

So they have been saying total 1000 watts output now the dynamics change. It may be around 300-400 watts. I think the htib segment try to increase the specs to sound really attractive as the real hifi systems won't have distortion as much as they do trying to give startling treble and deep base. Their built-in amp can't take 6 ohms impedence or more speakers and so they design their own speakers and show a cat having a tiger's magnified shadow reflection.
That's because majority of customers buying such systems doesn't do simple calculation, how 400W input becomes 1000W output. And regarding 250W @ 6 ohms factor, that's the max power handling capacity of the speaker. it has no relation with the amplifier power output.

That's because majority of customers buying such systems doesn't do simple calculation, how 400W input becomes 1000W output. And regarding 250W @ 6 ohms factor, that's the max power handling capacity of the speaker. it has no relation with the amplifier power output.
Agreed. One thing I have observed is htib satelites or sound bars cannot be interchanged with a hifi speakers even if we take the chance of cross-pollinating wires and connectors. Even experienced hands in soldering, wiring and electronics do not touch such things. Some who claim to have had a donkey's face woven to the body of a zebra as a diy kind of gloating around would find the end result Frankenstein HT soundstage slowly deteriorating over time. Not recommended at all. Or pls correct me.

Well it will not be easy and also you cannot hook up the usual HT center channel speakers to your Sony. You could check with service center if they have a Center speaker from a high end model. You need the wire connector pins to match if you do not want into the cut and join direction.

That said, you can check center speakers from other htib systems from Bose, Yamaha, pioneer, etc.

MaSh
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Also to Op, how is this product in terms of sound clarity? Is there distortion. I wanted to buy a similar system before I got convinced to set my own 5.1 using a second hand pioneer AVR and cheap Micca OoO speakers and a subwoofer.
There is no distortion as such. I have been using the system for past 8years or so. It does very well In a small to medium room, never felt the urge to upgrade, it delivers to my needs. The vocals are clear but lack that punch, so was looking at alternatives. Overall it's one of the best budget htib systems imho. Nowadays the focus is more on sound bars though.

There is no distortion as such. I have been using the system for past 8years or so. It does very well In a small to medium room, never felt the urge to upgrade, it delivers to my needs. The vocals are clear but lack that punch, so was looking at alternatives. Overall it's one of the best budget htib systems imho. Nowadays the focus is more on sound bars though.
With a blue ray player plus speakers there must be a catch for the equivalent of just a Htib's price. I thought the clarity was sub par. I was just a yard away from picking Sony bdv 3200e, a similar product for just 28k. But I went for a second hand AVR plus budget 7 channel speakers.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back